A young player you made a bad call on!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Never thoughts Crawford would end up with the career he had as when I first watched him in the U19s, he spent all day missing targets.

Sorry. I'm not trying to nitpick.

Crawford was drafted in November 1991; the U19s were disbanded in the previous September.

---------------------------------

As for GFC players ... so many epic fails from me.

I thought of Geelong's 1999 ND selections Spriggs was the only guaranteed long-term prospect. :eek: I thought Joel Corey would be OK, Ling and Chapman would be in the "possible" category and as for Corey Enright? No hope IMO. FFS, he didn't he play a single senior game in 2000.

Think about it. A man who hasn't played an AFL game since R7 2005 was the one who I believed was without a doubt going to have a better career than these other players that only did things like ....... win a premiership B&F, multiple AA selections, captain the club, play 200+ games, Norm Smith .......

I thought Jimmy Bartel had blitzed early in his first season but would fade from view. :eek:

I thought Kane Tenace was a future superstar.

Justin Wood kicked 4 against the Bulldogs (giving the Cats a 1 point win) in 1998 when they were 1st or 2nd and Geelong were shit. I thought he'll be around for a long time. Yet he only ever kicked one more goal in the AFL.

I thought Trent West would be much better; surprised he's still on the list.

Adam Houlihan was one of those 16 year-old compensation picks (Lloyd, Steven King, Chad Morrison) and I thought he was a future Hall of Famer. Horrible call. However he still kicked 5 in a game in his last year as a Cat.

In 2002 I thought Charlie Gardiner could be the best of Geelong's 2001 ND selections. :eek::D

Carl Steinfort only lasting 2 years at Collingwood surprised me; I didn't think he'd be out the league at 25.

Sorry I just have to reply when I see rubbish, not only by you but some of the Tambling defenders (Richmond supporters) when he was with us. First and foremost I have never ever seen or heard him getting booed. I remember he got a bronx cheer once because he got his first touch in the 3rd quarter against the Bulldogs IIRC and was being extremely lazy. That's not booing and it happens all the time with other players from others teams. Big difference.

Secondly, the comparison to Buddy, etc was mostly by the media and it snowballed from there. We couldn't do much about that could we? Living in a 2 team town he will get that in Adelaide too, if anything the focus will be on him just as much with the media and fans. Don't try and pretend it won't be. His main problems with his game are he's extremely lazy/mentally weak (watch him off the ball, does not run hard and put in the required effort) and he has no football brain (makes poor decisions with the ball, doesn't know where to run or position himself, etc).

Richard Tambling was a disappointment (besides 1 year) because of Richard Tambling, Richmond fans played no part but keep telling yourself if that's what makes you sleep at night. It's all excuses and I heard them for years. In fact I've never heard so much excuses for one AFL player in my life.

It's so much easier to see the truth when the rose coloured glasses come off.

Glad you came around.

Now, I knew this kid was going to be good, I just didnt realise he'd become such an elite ball winning mid with flawless skills on either side and the best hands in close, in the game.

092834-david-mundy.jpg

It's so much easier to see the truth when the rose coloured glasses come off.

Glad you came around.

Now, I knew this kid was going to be good, I just didnt realise he'd become such an elite ball winning mid with flawless skills on either side and the best hands in close, in the game.

092834-david-mundy.jpg

Yer i doubt it. Most people thought mundy would be a poor player. Me included. In some ways we were right he will have been a spud for most of his career. But turning into an almost A grader out of nowhere at 25? If you picked that then u are a genius. But at the end of the day his overall career won't be that great. I dont feel like an idiot at all for thinking he would suck. He did for so long. And yet the people who thought he would be good can hold their heads very high. Mundy is an interesting one. You cant really be right or wrong with him in my opinion. He is a spud and an AA squad member at the same time.

Sorry. I'm not trying to nitpick.

Crawford was drafted in November 1991; the U19s were disbanded in the previous September.

---------------------------------

As for GFC players ... so many epic fails from me.

I thought of Geelong's 1999 ND selections Spriggs was the only guaranteed long-term prospect. :eek: I thought Joel Corey would be OK, Ling and Chapman would be in the "possible" category and as for Corey Enright? No hope IMO. FFS, he didn't he play a single senior game in 2000.

Think about it. A man who hasn't played an AFL game since R7 2005 was the one who I believed was without a doubt going to have a better career than these other players that only did things like ....... win a premiership B&F, multiple AA selections, captain the club, play 200+ games, Norm Smith .......

I thought Jimmy Bartel had blitzed early in his first season but would fade from view. :eek:

I thought Kane Tenace was a future superstar.

Justin Wood kicked 4 against the Bulldogs (giving the Cats a 1 point win) in 1998 when they were 1st or 2nd and Geelong were shit. I thought he'll be around for a long time. Yet he only ever kicked one more goal in the AFL.

I thought Trent West would be much better; surprised he's still on the list.

Adam Houlihan was one of those 16 year-old compensation picks (Lloyd, Steven King, Chad Morrison) and I thought he was a future Hall of Famer. Horrible call. However he still kicked 5 in a game in his last year as a Cat.

In 2002 I thought Charlie Gardiner could be the best of Geelong's 2001 ND selections. :eek::D

Carl Steinfort only lasting 2 years at Collingwood surprised me; I didn't think he'd be out the league at 25.

yikes thats a lot wrong for your team. My only mistakes were thinking glass wasnt good and travis gaspar could be a gun. But then again we had players like judd and kerr come in and dominate day dot. Wasnt exactly hard to predict they would be guns.

One of the dumber posts you'll ever see.

Mundy displayed all the attributes for those who know what to look for in his very first game.

Poise, a kicking technique second to none and a set of hands which reeked of class.

A walk up start as an onballer after being groomed as a KP/Flanker by Cuddles. Only since Harvey's arrival has he flourished and been challenged. Now an elite player of the competition, with the quality supply he'll receive he'll most certainly be remembered as a gun of the competition.

One of the dumber posts you'll ever see.

Mundy displayed all the attributes for those who know what to look for in his very first game.

Poise, a kicking technique second to none and a set of hands which reeked of class.

A walk up start as an onballer after being groomed as a KP/Flanker by Cuddles. Only since Harvey's arrival has he flourished and been challenged. Now an elite player of the competition, with the quality supply he'll receive he'll most certainly be remembered as a gun of the competition.

Mundy is not elite. He is not AA standard. He is in the weird nearly there zone along with other players like deledio, gibbs, murphy etc. Players on the verge but not there yet.

watched Dunstall in the reserves at princess park in his first season and declared him a fat spud who would never play seniors

Scott West, had him pegged as a flashy outside player who was soft, to be fair i still believe at the start of his career he did play that way but boy did he turn it around.

The list of kids i believed would be stars but faded into oblivion is long and only going to embarrass me further so i will shut up now

watched Dunstall in the reserves at princess park in his first season and declared him a fat spud who would never play seniors

Scott West, had him pegged as a flashy outside player who was soft, to be fair i still believe at the start of his career he did play that way but boy did he turn it around.

The list of kids i believed would be stars but faded into oblivion is long and only going to embarrass me further so i will shut up now

I remember watching one of his first games for Hawthorn and thinking 'Who's this fat spud?' and having a bit of a chuckle. Not long after he kicked a big bag against Richmond, and 1000 odd goals later.....

Kane Tenace...thought he was going to be a star.

Trouble is, his delivery couldnt hit the side of a barn. Real pace but a spud.

Yep, Tenace was one I got completely wrong.

Two I got wrong in a good way (thought they'd never make it but did), were Shannon Byrnes firstly. No superstar but has developed into a handy player.

Second was Corey Enright. Couldn't understand why Thompson gave him so many games early on. I continue to be absolutely thrilled to have got that wrong.

Mundy & Bartel were both guys who I thought would be solid but boring & unspectacular, not a lot of potential for improvement types.

It's very easy to get distracted by flashes here or there & ignore the bleeding obvious - consistent useful footy.

ie I thought Laycock would overtake Hille in 2008.

Whoops.

I must admit, I thought Goddard would never live up to the number 1 tag.

I thought he was soft and crumbled under pressure. I always considered him good when he had time and space. I used to think he was a pointer who didn't take accountability for his own man.

I never saw him reaching these heights. He definitely has continued to improve, especially over the last 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good question. I liked Jason Cloke. He was a good player and a hard worker. I thought he deserved his spot at the pies for a bit longer but i guess his lack of pace and athleticism was too much of a liability.
Bit of a 1 trick pony at AFL level was how I remember him.
Great at reading & chopping off for the spoil, not much at anything else when other sides were pushing for the more skilful rebounding sorts off those HB spots.

Gun VFL player.

After Dean Polo had 3 votes 28 touches and 3 goals on debut I thought he would be the second coming of christ.

Even 2-3 years later after he had been stuffed by injuries I was confident he would come back and dominate....was very wrong.

After Dean Polo had 3 votes 28 touches and 3 goals on debut I thought he would be the second coming of christ.

Even 2-3 years later after he had been stuffed by injuries I was confident he would come back and dominate....was very wrong.

I saw this thread and just went to post the exact same thing!

Remove this Banner Ad

A young player you made a bad call on!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back