Bumped Ablett signs with Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look on the bright side.

You guys have just locked Selwood away for the next 5 years, and have two more 1st rounders to help with the imminent rebuild.

Its not a totally bad situation to be in.

Time to make some tough decsions on some of your vets (looks like a few have already been made today) and stock up on some good kids over the next few years.

Re: Ablett to sign with Gold Coast - announcement at 12:30PM

A number of sports don't have salary caps at all.... or are in such a financial state as to not be able to compete with bigger clubs.

It happened in the VFL before - it's not simply an AFL issue.
You've gone from "every sport in the world" to "a number of sports", which I'm assuming means "European soccer leagues". Unless you'd like the AFL to end up like the EPL and we can have the Gold Coast and Western Sydney finishing 1 and 2 every season, then we have a salary cap that's there for a reason and that's to keep the competition even so clubs that like the GC can't just throw obscene amounts of money at players.

my commiserations. Had Hird left to play the second half of his career elsewhere, i'd have been bitterly disappointed. Wanganeen was bad enough, and at least we could sort of justify it by knowing he was going home.

but we're in a whole new era now. The best player in the comp has just been purchased with the AFL's full blessing - under a system that is designed to make the existing clubs position impossible- in an act that further sells the game down the corporate s**t creek and none of us - the real owners of the game - have a paddle.

The core of Geelong is still strong, and your side will continue to stand up. But you don't have to be- and should not be - happy about it.

Man I am angry. Where is the loyalty in the world? What it ultimately comes down to here is money and greed.

Add in the bogan dole bludging Gold Coast residents gloating about getting something for nothing and it makes a very bad day.

Least I know that his decision will reduce his career by a year or two due to the extra load he'll have to carry.

Well there goes loyalty as a virtue.

Yet another reason to hate Qld. Well on a positive, with the amount of extra work he'll have to it will shorten his career.

Everyone's a winner I reckon.

Geelong get to keep the rest of their dual premiership winnning team, will still have an elite midfield, the players get a payrise, and Gablett can get a bronzed head in the GC.

As for the other clubs, well they dont have to worry about the GC, who have just blown a large part of their salary cap on one guy.

A bit of a shame for all the unpaid kids they will be hogging to make up salary room and will be stifled in whatever comp they have to play in ? (are theyre 2s going to be playing in the VFL? just that theyre not very....V)

see, its not as if anyone wants them to. Get stufffed I say! play Southport every other week. And some praccies V GWS

Gary has shown what he's made of (not much). Shows how shallow a person is when they can be bought instead of jamming the flag in the ground and saying I play for the game and this club - you can take your cash and shove it. Disappointing. I thought he was better than that. :thumbsdown:

Here is the traitor in all his glory..

sp00028630-image.jpg

:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a Cats supporter but I just wanted to say this is horrible for you guys. I was hoping all year he would announce he is saying. One of the reasons I love footy so much is because of loyalty and especially love the father son rule. Not fair at all that this has happened. He also looks ridiculous in those colours...

I can't believe the reaction of some Geelong supporters on this thread. _Me_ Especially. People calling him a dog and saying he is never welcome back to the club. He played his heart for your club for years and for less then what he was worth. Geelong said they made him an offer that would have made him one of the top 5 players in the league. He is the best and he should be paid accordingly. He has played for years under his market value.

The Cats have had a great run of late and he played a huge part in that. How was he supposed to turn down that kind of money?

Only in the football industry do thousands of people dismiss all rational thought and expect someone to take a massive paycut and put the pleasure of strangers before their own family.

I feel sad for those that can't just accept his decision and be glad to have experienced both watching him play some great football, and for the success the club during the last few years.

AFL is just a game. Many players past and present have been quoted as saying that. Get over it.

Those pinging at Geelong supporters give everybody a break for a day or two. Very understandable to react with bitterness and anger right now. You wouldn;t have been heartbroken if Hird or Buckley or whoever was a champion (and their Dad) hadnt walked out on you?.

The real measure comes after the next few days as we refocus and start to rebuild.

Those pinging at Geelong supporters give everybody a break for a day or two. Very understandable to react with bitterness and anger right now. You wouldn;t have been heartbroken if Hird or Buckley or whoever was a champion (and their Dad) hadnt walked out on you?.

The real measure comes after the next few days as we refocus and start to rebuild.

There are Geelong supporters pinging each other too.

Re: Ablett to sign with Gold Coast - announcement at 12:30PM

You've gone from "every sport in the world" to "a number of sports", which I'm assuming means "European soccer leagues". Unless you'd like the AFL to end up like the EPL and we can have the Gold Coast and Western Sydney finishing 1 and 2 every season, then we have a salary cap that's there for a reason and that's to keep the competition even so clubs that like the GC can't just throw obscene amounts of money at players.

No - i said every sport in the world can poach players like the GC have done.

The 'number of sports' is in relation to the salary cap - or lack thereof.

In every (well i can't think of one that doesn't) sporting code in Australia (bar ours) - you can poach the talent from another team.

NRL, RU, Cricket, Basketball, Netball,

Add to that the GC only have an extra cap space for a few years - which is in part, to enable them to pay the extra 10 players they'll have on their list.

I also can't think of another sport where they ask the 16 other competitors what concessions they should give the new club.

I can understand the anger but I think it is directed at the wrong person. The AFL made this happen. Anyone who says they would not leave their job to do the exacted same thing for twice the money is delusional.

I can understand the anger but I think it is directed at the wrong person. The AFL made this happen. Anyone who says they would not leave their job to do the exacted same thing for twice the money is delusional.

Funny you should mention that. Apparently this is the scene outside AFL House as we speak.

angry-mob-simpsons.jpg

Glad I'm not Andrew Demetriou! :p

Only in the football industry do thousands of people dismiss all rational thought and expect someone to take a massive paycut and put the pleasure of strangers before their own family.

I feel sad for those that can't just accept his decision and be glad to have experienced both watching him play some great football, and for the success the club during the last few years.

AFL is just a game. Many players past and present have been quoted as saying that. Get over it.

Great post.:thumbsu:

How many people that are lucky enough to get an offer to double their salary would stay? It does not matter if you are a lawyer, garbo or football player. It is not greed it is common sense to accept.

I also thought the sky was falling when Carey left the Roos but it does not last long. Start blocking for Varcoe - you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back