Traded Adam Cooney to Essendon for pick 37

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't buy this Higgins in greenwood out loss.
Fact is if Higgins stays fit North are comfortably up .
Much better than Greenwood,more what North needs and only a year older.
Greenwoods not much.

True but taking blokes on their last legs is a MASSIVE risk, especially when we have seen players go downhill very quickly when they reach 30 odd, not everyone is Harvey.

It's not a massive risk because they're not costing anything apart from a list spot. If they are not performing then they'll be in the twos.

Our list in terms of younger talent is stronger than it's ever been.

Greenwoods not much.

This is Higgins we are talking about. He's stayed fit once in 7 years....

Greenwoods not much.

Be careful posting the truth around these parts.

I had a look at Higgins over the last 5 or so seasons has played 97 of 132 games. Granted he only played 3 in 2013.

Apart from that he's played enough.

North as a collective were a fair way off the best when push came to shove and I can't see Cooney, Waite and Higgins being the guys to elevate them to Preniership threats. The only way the Kangas can genuinely threaten is for a few youngsters to be bolters and become elite, guys like McDonald, Brown and Atley have to be game breakers otherwise they will just be making up the numbers.

We know what were gonna get out of Wells, Boomer, Petrie, Swallow, DelSanto and it's not good enough for a flag so the improvement needs to come from elsewhere. They have a solid nucleas of core players but just not the cutting edge to take the next step, also maybe it's a coaching thing? Brad Scott doesn't come across as the most intelligent guy from the outside looking in, but I can't really judge tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North as a collective were a fair way off the best when push came to shove and I can't see Cooney, Waite and Higgins being the guys to elevate them to Preniership threats. The only way the Kangas can genuinely threaten is for a few youngsters to be bolters and become elite, guys like McDonald, Brown and Atley have to be game breakers otherwise they will just be making up the numbers.

We know what were gonna get out of Wells, Boomer, Petrie, Swallow, DelSanto and it's not good enough for a flag so the improvement needs to come from elsewhere. They have a solid nucleas of core players but just not the cutting edge to take the next step, also maybe it's a coaching thing? Brad Scott doesn't come across as the most intelligent guy from the outside looking in, but I can't really judge tbh.

You won't find a North fan who thinks if we are contenders next year, it will be because of Dal Santo, Waite, Higgins etc.

It all depends on the 50-100 game bracket (Black, Cunnington, Atley, Ziebell, Bastinac, MacMillan, Wright) and if they continue to improve, whether we can get the likes of Tarrant and Delaney on the park consistently and whether Brown, Turner, McDonald, Wood, Dumont and Garner make an impact/continue to make an impact.

The theory that North are simply "topping up" and "need to win it in the next year or two before it all goes downhill" is lazy, narrow-minded, media-driven rubbish. Adding experience without giving up draft picks is good list management.

Our list is in fantastic shape.

This is a decent post. We finished top 4 but I think we are a long way behind the best in the comp. I am happy we are rolling the dice to maybe push for something special. Staying middle of the rung will get us middle of rung of result if we don't roll the dice. If it fails then who cares. I am happy to have a dip than staying mediocre. My prediction is we will fall short with the players we brought in. End of the day we are not Essendon. That is a massive win.

You won't find a North fan who thinks if we are contenders next year, it will be because of Dal Santo, Waite, Higgins etc.

It all depends on the 50-100 game bracket (Black, Cunnington, Atley, Ziebell, Bastinac, MacMillan, Wright) and if they continue to improve, whether we can get the likes of Tarrant and Delaney on the park consistently and whether Brown, Turner, McDonald, Wood, Dumont and Garner make an impact/continue to make an impact.

The theory that North are simply "topping up" and "need to win it in the next year or two before it all goes downhill" is lazy, narrow-minded, media-driven rubbish. Adding experience without giving up draft picks is good list management.

Our list is in fantastic shape.

I agree with most of this, I suppose what I saw was a lack of class around the ball and the cohesion through the middle to really be consistently at the top end.

Bastinac, McMillan and Wright I don't think will be any better than good solid AFL players. I think Ziebell is the ace in the deck of cards, he has the ability to monster medium defenders and has the physicality to cause havoc through the middle of the ground. Ziebell looks like he is where Voss was at albeit at 25 rather than 30 like Voss. A full pre season, improve his tank a bit more and have a free crack at them and Ziebell looks the most likely.

There's a lot of if's and but's for North and that's a shitty thing to deal with as a supporter, your club is really at the cross roads for this generation and it's either take the next step now or be another middle of the ring outfit.

Well, we are just looking at him physically to see where his knee is at, he feels it has been pretty good and better than he has felt in a long time, if he doesn't cost much then he would be vastly superior to our worst midfielder in our best 22.

Yep, sides that want to get ahead need to take a risk or two and do something against the grain. Everyone is picking kids.. becomes a lottery to improve. Good players coming cheap. You lost one but inside mids is probably the area you could afford to lose one if you had to.

I don't particularly rate Scott as a matchday coach, it really has to come down to if the players perform or not because I am not expecting any tactical or strategic brilliance coming out of the box. However, in saying that, I think coaches are over-rated in terms of their matchday importance, most of the coaching is done before the game begins.

I would have been against us paying anything of value to bring in Higgins, Waite or possibly Cooney. Reality is Waite is going to replace someone like Tarrant or Curran who make Waite's body seem durable by comparison, Higgins will replace someone line Anthony, Cooney someone like Wilkins or Hine. I don't think they are world beaters but are taking the spot of a failed development position on the list, a few others will have to make way for our draftees.

Anyway you look at it, these players are vastly superior options to the players they are ultimately replacing, it doesn't really matter if they are world beaters or not if they are better options than what you have on your list and they cost you **** all to acquire then why would you not take them?

We are still using our best draft picks on the best quality youth we can get our hands on, it is not like we are making any major sacrifices. Will these additions win us a flag? Probably not, we are still dependant on the players we have developed improving to take the next step. However, if they do step up then the kind of players we are adding will improve the chance we have of winning more games. All you can do is try and win more games, it takes a lot of luck to win a flag, all you can do is give yourself the best possible chance of winning games of footy, circumstances outside of your control will largely dictate if you are a shot or not.

Carlisle and Daniher feast on North. Also Carlisle can go down back to take Brown while Hurley sticks with Black next time.

Also perhaps we'll have Dempsey on the ground from the start this time!! I would like him to run with Wells, who cuts up our one pace midfield.

Either way apart from your close losses in 13 and our in 14 both teams are looking ok for next year.
Carlilse feasts on the roos by kicking 2 points??? He is a worse forward than concreate hands Hurley.

Remember when boomer kicked 3 goals in 1 minute and 15 seconds v Essendon? Now that was a feast.

Carlilse feasts on the roos by kicking 2 points??? He is a worse forward than concreate hands Hurley.

Remember when boomer kicked 3 goals in 1 minute and 15 seconds v Essendon? Now that was a feast.
Boomer was on peptides doesn't count

Contracted players - Age Round 1, 2015

30+: Harvey, Petrie, Waite, Firrito, Dal Santo, Wells
27-29: Grima, Thompson, Gibson, McMahon, Swallow, Thomas, Higgins, (Cooney)
24-26: Adams, Goldstein, Hansen, Tippett*, Currie, Tarrant, Wright, Black, Ziebell, Daw, (Greenwood)
21-23: Bastinac, Cunnington, Macmillan, Jacobs, Mullett, Harper, Delaney, Atley, Brown, McKenzie, Wood, Garner
18-20: McDonald, Dumont, Turner*

* Rookies
Likely delisted: Anthony (27), Nahas (27), Hine (23), Curran (21), Wilkins (20)

If we do trade Cooney for a 4th round pick as reported, that leaves us taking Rounds 1-3 picks to the ND for the 7th year in a row adding three players to the 18-20 bracket.

Personally I'm comfortable with the balance of our list, clearly we need to have a crack at a flag while Harvey & co. are around but 8 of those players 18-23 played finals for us in 2014. Another 6 from the 24-26 have been mainstays in our 22 for much of the season. (7 including Greenwood and Adams & Hansen missing finals due to injury)

At the end of 2015 Dal Santo, Wells and Waite will all have contracts to go around again in 2016. We'll have to keep Tippett and Turner on rookie contracts at the beginning of 2015 unless we drop a contract player so we can take our 3 picks to the Draft, unless of course we lose Greenwood and don't acquire Cooney or another player.

Obviously we need the 21-26 group to step up again to become a genuine threat, but we saw how Dal Santo played late in the season, I can absolutely see the value of having Cooney in the rotation come the business end of the season, especially if Greenwood leaves.

Like I said, dont add Cooney until is confirmed as a North player and has completed a season like NDS. Waite won't be in North's best 22, he will have to earn it.

He'll be a walk up start after a few years development though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Adam Cooney to Essendon for pick 37

Remove this Banner Ad

Back