Adam Simpson meets with AFL to discuss the inequalities that interstate teams put up with

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course the best team on the day is premier. But the best team on the day is not always the best team of the season. And the ground and location on 'the day' does offer an advantage to some. How that is even in question beggars belief.

You're reaching here.
So i'm reaching am i?

That would mean you know what you are talking about hey?

Or is it, what you think is fact, because you think it?

And 20 for GWS......that's 302.

Except my original point was that only Simon Black had played 300 games for Brisbane. I was summarily told I was wrong, yet nobody, you included, have produced anything to the contrary. Nice try, but no cigar.

Our players and club publicly state that they love the effect interstate travel has on the ability of the group to galvanize as a group. Getting a way from their friends and family, being able to collectively focus and create an us against the word mindset; can be very empowering. Until last season, our away record was very positive but last year our only 4 losses were after travel but I think that points more to the quality of the opposition when we played them than any affect travel had.

In the end we're talking a few hours not days. The impact is negligible and the rewards balance these out. Being in a two team town, with guaranteed high membership/sponsorship through lack of competition is an obvious one. Cost of flights is an obvious negative. In the end to say that players careers are cut short and they receive more injures due to it is per speculation and baseless.

When you can produce cold hard facts that interstate teams are hindered somehow compared to Victorian teams, then I'm happy to see it. At the moment though, especially on the back of a Interstate Premiership, its hard to sympathize.

Our players and club publicly state that they love the effect interstate travel has on the ability of the group to galvanize as a group. Getting a way from their friends and family, being able to collectively focus and create an us against the word mindset; can be very empowering. Until last season, our away record was very positive but last year our only 4 losses were after travel but I think that points more to the quality of the opposition when we played them than any affect travel had.

In the end we're talking a few hours not days. The impact is negligible and the rewards balance these out. Being in a two team town, with guaranteed high membership/sponsorship through lack of competition is an obvious one. Cost of flights is an obvious negative. In the end to say that players careers are cut short and they receive more injures due to it is per speculation and baseless.

When you can produce cold hard facts that interstate teams are hindered somehow compared to Victorian teams, then I'm happy to see it. At the moment though, especially on the back of a Interstate Premiership, its hard to sympathize.
The best one i read was a couple of years back, when someone said you are at risk of getting cancer if you fly.

The first week of finals match 1 v 4, 2 v 3, 5 v 8 and 6 v 7.

When Adelaide are the higher ranked (better) team they have a better record....no sh1t.

Come GF they are 2-0 as the ‘lower’ ranked team, and 1-0 when ‘highest’

Adelaide’s win rate in GFs is better than their win rate at AAMI stadium in finals was!!

most betting models flag home ground advantage during the season at the G to be 9-12 points. They differ on whether this actually holds in a GF as the data set is too small to validate.

But what is home ground advantage?

People talk about ‘ground familiarity and consitions’...but HGA exists is large in sports like NBA where they play inside on exactly the same courts.

People talk about traveling being important, but VFL has greater HGA when travel wasn’t an issue, American studies all review that and again questionable findings...strongest being related to impacts to circadian rhythm but that is more for teams flying between multiple time zones day after day.

They also compared soccer stadiums with an athletic track between crowd and pitch, and they had less HGA than smaller stadiums where crowd was right up on the pitch.

Recovery and fatigue, another influence...but not a factor for AFL who play once a week.

The biggest factor appears to be ‘home cooking’ and the influence home crowds have on umpires making calls. Soccer the home teams are awarded more penalties, NBA home team goes to the line more, AFL the noise of affirmation.

In a GF one of the biggests factors of HGA is removed...and the actual results back that up, as nonMCG tenants win rate on GF day is much better compared to a regular game.

So yes the bleating and continual reference to H&A conditions as if they hold true for the GF is what I disagree with.

Also the notion that finals and GFs are supposed to be ‘fair’ and teams ‘earn’ home finals is absolute nonsense.
Adelaide have won 10 from 14 finals at home. They’ve won 7 from 15 at the mcg.

Vic clubs have won 11 of 52 finals interstate. You can’t just fob stats like that off because one side was above the other on the ladder. These are all teams similar in strength, only separated by a win or 2. Imagine if the grand final were held at the highest ranked teams home ground, what would the results have been then?

Whatever research you’ve done applies to other sports, where players all travel around playing on standard sized courts, pitches, playing on one another’s grounds equally and playing best of finals series or having a neutral venue for a championship game.

We play in a league where everyone plays on irregular sized grounds, and some teams travel twice as much as others - trying to get prepared for matches on the other side of the country coming off six day breaks, facing teams that may have not left home for months. We hold the grand final on a ground where some clubs play 14 times a year, while others may only play there once. All these factors means that home ground advantage plays a larger part in our game and on grand final day, it doesn’t diminish it.

Adelaide have won 10 from 14 finals at home. They’ve won 7 from 15 at the mcg.
Is that supposed to support your argument?

When Adelaide are the better team they win more than when they are the poorer team...gee groundbreaking stuff!

In non GF MCG finals they are 5 from 12, 42%...which is basically the same as their H&A record.

In GFs they are 2 from 3, much better.

WC are the same, they have a 41% win rate at the G in HA, this actually drops to just 20% in non GF MCG finals but then come the GF they are 4 from 6.

Almost as if any HGA is diminished in the GF!!
vicclubs have won 11 of 52 finals interstate. You can’t just fob stats like that off because one side was above the other on the ladder. These are all teams similar in strength, only separated by a win or 2. Imagine if the grand final were held at the highest ranked teams home ground, what would the results have been then?
Similar in strength...yeah of course.

1st v 8th or 1st v 4th, they ain’t similar strength.

Whatever research you’ve done applies to other sports, where players all travel around playing on standard sized courts, pitches, playing on one another’s grounds equally and playing best of finals series or having a neutral venue for a championship game.

We play in a league where everyone plays on irregular sized grounds, and some teams travel twice as much as others - trying to get prepared for matches on the other side of the country coming off six day breaks, facing teams that may have not left home for months. We hold the grand final on a ground where some clubs play 14 times a year, while others may only play there once. All these factors means that home ground advantage plays a larger part in our game and on grand final day, it doesn’t diminish it.
LOL

Yeah ignore research that actually attempts to qualify what HGA actually is and just go with what you ‘feel’.

Somes up the WA sooking, we think we are disadvantaged so that is good enough for us!

Last edited:
Except my original point was that only Simon Black had played 300 games for Brisbane. I was summarily told I was wrong, yet nobody, you included, have produced anything to the contrary. Nice try, but no cigar.
Perhaps your original point was 300 for brisbane, but you then clarified and said playing 300 outside of Melbourne. Sydney is outside of Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anybody even tried to design a fixture that can allow for relatively equal travel and blockbuster games to be played in primetime?
Yeah, the 12 team VFL was perfect.

They let the Eagles in and then the sooking about it being unfair that every other week they had to fly whilst the vic teams didn’t began...and it hasn’t stopped since.

They let the Eagles in and then the sooking about it being unfair that every other week they had to fly whilst the vic teams didn’t began...and it hasn’t stopped since.

It ain’t ever going to stop either as more and more people who know nothing about footy latch on to the AFL as it’s the cool thing to do. And that is Australia wide.

Imagine 'sooking' about obvious inequalities. We get it, the Eagles joined the VFL and some inequalities will be impossible to eliminate. But some Victorians need to stop whinging about whinging and understand they accepted the Eagles and Brisbane (and the rest) into the league, they chose to adapt from a suburban league to a national league, they now have to accept change. I get it, change is big and scary, but sticking your head in the sand isn't going to hold it back.

Imagine 'sooking' about obvious inequalities. We get it, the Eagles joined the VFL and some inequalities will be impossible to eliminate. But some Victorians need to stop whinging about whinging and understand they accepted the Eagles and Brisbane (and the rest) into the league, they chose to adapt from a suburban league to a national league, they now have to accept change. I get it, change is big and scary, but sticking your head in the sand isn't going to hold it back.
WtF is this post?

What Doppleganger said is correct, as soon as WC entered the league, the whinging started and hasn't stopped.

Go find me where Victorians haven't accepted change, there is nowhere near the crying about changes as to what there is with WC crying for them.

Travel, travel, travel, that's all i see on here, but we travel, well fmd, you live on the other side of the country.

WtF is this post?

What Doppleganger said is correct, as soon as WC entered the league, the whinging started and hasn't stopped.

Go find me where Victorians haven't accepted change, there is nowhere near the crying about changes as to what there is with WC crying for them.

Travel, travel, travel, that's all i see on here, but we travel, well fmd, you live on the other side of the country.
The grand final at the MCG. The mere thought of change has Victorians shaking. I mean, you may no longer be 'the sporting capital of Australia'.

The grand final at the MCG. The mere thought of change has Victorians shaking. I mean, you may no longer be 'the sporting capital of Australia'.
Really? i can't speak for others, but i am all for it being moved, what i find funny is, it's going to be here for a long time yet, and you say we are shaking.
I ask:
Why would Vics be shaking when most will be gone when/if it is ever moved?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back