Adam Simpson meets with AFL to discuss the inequalities that interstate teams put up with

Remove this Banner Ad

Posters who argue "well that's the way its always been", you are lazy and clearly unconcerned about your team receiving an advantage from the league.

You know the league fails every season to make very achievable adjustments to the competition [many of which have been outlined in this thread] for largely financial reasons.

So you are effectively saying that you are willing to sacrifice the equity and integrity of the competition to line up Eddie McGuire's pockets. Pretty sickening.

This is the kind of attitude that leads to the downfall of a civilization...

Posters who argue "well that's the way its always been", you are lazy and clearly unconcerned about your team receiving an advantage from the league.

You know the league fails every season to make very achievable adjustments to the competition [many of which have been outlined in this thread] for largely financial reasons.

So you are effectively saying that you are willing to sacrifice the equity and integrity of the competition to line up Eddie McGuire's pockets. Pretty sickening.

This is the kind of attitude that leads to the downfall of a civilization...
Well you have convinced me, footy has stuffed the world.

Most ‘experts’ think you need a bit of finals experience before you can take the next step.

I don’t really think it really matters for minor finals, as the minor finals are hard to differentiate from H&A games now anyway.

The only final that has a different experience is the GF.

That was to highlight the actual experience is similar.

They played in front of 56k fans, about 95% Eagles, in R22.

The QF was 59k fans, about 95% Eagles, in the PF.

Melbourne just didn’t show up, just like Richmond didn’t....despite Richmond being at home.

But Collingwood did show up in the QF, IMO it was our best performance against WC out of the three losses.

Perhaps the ‘foreign’ ground allows a team like Melbourne and Adelaide n WC in GFs a cop out...but reality is some teams just go to water in finals.

The GF is a completely different experience to a H&A game, in 2015 the Eagles were novices up against a hardened Hawks team....once they fell behind the inexperienced Eagles were gone.

In 2018, the Eagles had the experience of a GF loss behind them...and were not up against a ruthless team going for B2B2B, instead it was a Pies team who lost their nerve and tried to play safe and hold on. The Eagles thus took over and should have won by 3-4 goals.

Once you qualify for a GF anything can happen...how many fecking H&A games you played at the ground is not even worth worrying about...it hasn’t helped Collingwood performances on GF day at all.
Do you think Hawthorn would’ve won in similar fashion in 2015 had the grand final been played at Subiaco?

But our premiership players are the ones that played worst - Sidebottom, Pendlebury...

What won it for you was your KP set up. You have the best KP players in the AFL in McGovern, Kennedy, Darling, plus the rest... I don't think it's the finals experience of these guys... it's just that they are all very good players, mature, big strong bodies.. and the Pies don't have the big strong bodies to match these types.

If you had played the Grand Final against Richmond, you'd have lost, and by a big margin. They have the big bodies at each end that would have contained you.

Our players did extremely well.. I mean we had Goldsack who had been out all year, Howe and a bunch of kids in our backline against the best forwards in the comp.

LOL. How on earth can you make that prediction? We beat them soundly in Perth this year because they couldn't out mark us because our big bodies out classed them. FACT. yet suddenly you are making the claim that their big bodies would destroy us? With what evidence? We demonstrated the exact opposite of that. Gov has never been beaten one on one, and Darling and Kennedy were unbeaten in 2018 when both playing and we showed that we can play the G as well as anybody in 2018. Including beating your mob TWICE at the G.

If you are going to make an argument, least use some evidence to back it up, otherwise you just look like a sore loser. But go on trying to make yourself feel better.

Last edited:
Do you think Hawthorn would’ve won in similar fashion in 2015 had the grand final been played at Subiaco?
They beat the minor premier at Subi in the PF, so no reason to suggest the ground held any demons.

After coughing up the 2012 GF, the Hawks were ruthless in their next GFs.

They would have belted the flaky Eagles anywhere.

LOL. How on earth can you make that prediction? We beat them soundly in Perth this year because they couldn't out mark us because our big bodies out classed them. FACT. yet suddenly you are making the claim that their big bodies would destroy us? With what evidence? We demonstrated the exact opposite of that. Gov has never been beaten one on one, and Darling and Kennedy were unbeaten in 2018 when both playing and we showed that we can play the G as well as anybody in 2018. Including beating your mob TWICE at the G.

If you are going to make an argument, least use some evidence to back it up, otherwise you just look like a sore loser. But go on trying to make yourself feel better.
Agree with this, when the Eagles had a fit Kennedy and Darling they were the best team going in 2018.

Richmond couldn't handle Cox and DeGoey, and were smashed by the Pie mids.

Eagles best us in the middle 3 times, and they had stronger forwards.

Pies had a decent crack, but were beaten by the better team 3 times.

Agree with this, when the Eagles had a fit Kennedy and Darling they were the best team going in 2018.

Always nice to see posts from someone who sees things as they are and not as something they are not.
Big fan of your footy critique. Wish more had the same knowledge.

Richmond have gained a bit on the off.

Your lot have gained in the midfield - where you were already strong but could have used another tall.

Weve not done much tbh - kennedy could just as easily fall off a cliff this year - getting kelly would have been handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond have gained a bit on the off.

Your lot have gained in the midfield - where you were already strong but could have used another tall.

Weve not done much tbh - kennedy could just as easily fall off a cliff this year - getting kelly would have been handy.
I dunno, I hear good things about these two kids A.Gaff and B.Sheppard. Nick Natta-something is supposed to be a promising player, might make the team later in the year.

I dunno, I hear good things about these two kids A.Gaff and B.Sheppard. Nick Natta-something is supposed to be a promising player, might make the team later in the year.
Apparently gaffs not that good

I was reading the fa threads on the mainboard and eagles fans just dont rate him

They beat the minor premier at Subi in the PF, so no reason to suggest the ground held any demons.

After coughing up the 2012 GF, the Hawks were ruthless in their next GFs.

They would have belted the flaky Eagles anywhere.
Somehow those flaky eagles managed to pump them mighty hawks in a final in Perth only a couple of weeks prior. Funny how they weren’t so flaky then.

A bit like how those Vic clubs are so flaky that they’ve only managed to win 20% of their finals combined interstate. Imagine if the grand final were to be played at the home ground of the highest ranked team.

I agree grand final experience is golden for a team running out on grand final day, part of that is due to it being played at the same ground every year.

If the grand final was played in Adelaide, which clubs have the biggest advantage in that event? Or a grand final at Optus. Playing on your home ground is a massive leg up.

Always nice to see posts from someone who sees things as they are and not as something they are not.
Big fan of your footy critique. Wish more had the same knowledge.
:thumbsu:

Yeah I was confident heading into GF as felt it was about time the Pies midfield beat the Eagles. In the QF it was probably 50/50, with us on top in Q2-3 and Eagles the others.

But all three games they were too good.

Take away the month mid-season when Kennedy and Darling were out and Eagles basically had only one bad game all season.

Somehow those flaky eagles managed to pump them mighty hawks in a final in Perth only a couple of weeks prior. Funny how they weren’t so flaky then.
Good on the Eagles, they won a QF.

Plenty of QF victors flop later in finals.

Hawthorn beat Eagles in Perth, beat minor premier Freo in the PF in Perth...the stadium held no fear.

They would have won a GF anywhere, Eagles showed they weren’t up to it.

A bit like how those Vic clubs are so flaky that they’ve only managed to win 20% of their finals combined interstate. Imagine if the grand final were to be played at the home ground of the highest ranked team.
As I said minor finals have basically become H&A games for the most part now...the entire concept of finals is being lost.

I agree grand final experience is golden for a team running out on grand final day, part of that is due to it being played at the same ground every year.
The main bit is the mental preparation. The week isn’t ‘normal’.

Brownlow, 15-20k fans at training, GF parade, and then 100K in a huge stadium....many players are mentally exhausted before the game even starts.

If the grand final was played in Adelaide, which clubs have the biggest advantage in that event? Or a grand final at Optus. Playing on your home ground is a massive leg up.
Sydney and West Coast have best records at Adelaide Oval...so I guess they have the advantage!?

Hawthorn beat Eagles in Perth, beat minor premier Freo in the PF in Perth...the stadium held no fear.

They would have won a GF anywhere, Eagles showed they weren’t up to it.

As I said minor finals have basically become H&A games for the most part now...the entire concept of finals is being lost.

Brownlow, 15-20k fans at training, GF parade, and then 100K in a huge stadium....many players are mentally exhausted before the game even starts.

Sydney and West Coast have best records at Adelaide Oval...so I guess they have the advantage!?
Where as west coast have a hideous record at the mcg......

As do pretty much all interstaters

This is all just going straight over your head isn't it?
Its all going straight over yours - you go on. About the week not being normal

Your mob are with their family - sleeping in their own bed and rock up to a venue theyve played at all year and the year before etc etc

Interstate teams get none of that.

It held a lot more fear for them than the mcg did I bet. West Coast only played at the mcg once that year before the grand final.

Ok, so finals pressure, finals experience, finals atmosphere, finals intensity - this terminology used by coaches, players, commentators mean nothing to you. A prelim final is on par with a h&A game? Lol

Yes mental preparation plays a part. Surely playing on your home ground with plenty of wins gives you more of a mental edge than having experienced a training session with extra fans. Or attending a Brownlow - which players do every year anyway. The only difference is that players involved in a grand final don’t get wasted.
You can’t even acknowledge that a Crows or Port team winning enough games to make it through to the grand final, would be the sides most advantaged by playing it at Adelaide oval.

It would be built up as mission impossible in Melbourne if it were to ever happen

Its all going straight over yours - you go on. About the week not being normal

Your mob are with their family - sleeping in their own bed and rock up to a venue theyve played at all year and the year before etc etc

Interstate teams get none of that.
I don't think i ever disputed that, did i?

I would nearly bet my house, that if i started agreeing with everything you said, you would say i was wrong.

Not talking about H&A games Krank, as you actually get big crowd advantage in those.

What are the records in GFs

Pies are 2 from 7 in AFL MCG GFs...some advantage.
How many of those gfs have you over acheived to get there?

I look back at our gfs - look at 2015 and think we way overacheived - we werent close to the first or second best team out there.

I dont look at that as one that got away - i look at it purely as “ah well it prepped us for a coupla years later”

I look at quite a few of your grannies you lost the same way - your team got there on grit but werent the second or the best team in it and it showed in the end.

We can argue all we like about the mcg being the gf venue - but heres the kicker

If i go to a uk, german, us or any other countries national sporting forum - and post up our situation here with how the gf is at some clubs home ground.

Ill bet money that they will all say - hang on - thats not very fair

Then you come back to this board - and see the ones defending it are the same old suspects in every thread. Mcg tenants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back