Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would hundred percent agree that Simmo is a good bloke. No question there at all. He seems like a decent human being.
Unfortunately, I just think he’s lost the ability to make objective calls as a coach and sad as it is to see him go, it’s the right thing to do at this stage. I wish him all the best.
I’m sure he’ll find another job somewhere, possibly back at North as an assistant to Clarko.

I would hundred percent agree that Simmo is a good bloke. No question there at all. He seems like a decent human being.
Unfortunately, I just think he’s lost the ability to make objective calls as a coach and sad as it is to see him go, it’s the right thing to do at this stage. I wish him all the best.
I’m sure he’ll find another job somewhere, possibly back at North as an assistant to Clarko.

Clarko is a slur away from the sack so Simmo could have a homecoming.

Its possible that Don and the Board wanted Simmo to coach this weekend at home, as an opportunity for the fans to say goodbye and meant out of pure goodwill and out of respect for Adam..... but it was abit of an awkward execution to say the least.

All class from Simmo, warmed up into the presser as it went on because naturally he looked pretty shattered at first.

Proud of what he achieved, think that whichever club gets him next, in whatever capacity, will be onto a real winner. For now it just sounds like he needs a proper break.

In catching up on the thread I see that the hand wringing stays a constant even during a very respectful and raw press conference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In catching up on the thread I see that the hand wringing stays a constant even during a very respectful and raw press conference.

It's the usual core element. Simmo could cure cancer and they'd ask why he didn't do it sooner or by testing the cure on Trew instead of Chesser.

All class from Simmo, warmed up into the presser as it went on because naturally he looked pretty shattered at first.

Proud of what he achieved, think that whichever club gets him next, in whatever capacity, will be onto a real winner. For now it just sounds like he needs a proper break.

Respectful and raw are not really words you put together

A part of being respectful is not letting someone go into a situation where they are raw and emotional...

Apologies for the intrusion & not here to hang shit. Thought that was a very respectful press conference & nothing showed me it was anything but mutual.

I’ve got to know Simpson & most of the players from when they come down this way on their camp & it’s been clear to me that Simpson had lost his edge with the playing group over the last couple of years.

His relationship with the players had changed & there was no longer that fear that great leaders have over their group when things aren’t going well. There were moments lacking in discipline from some players that was not being addressed as it had been previously.

The timing is right, if not a year too late as I felt he had lost his aura last year. Hindsight hero I suppose.
The whole coaching group needs a refresh & whoever you select needs to bring in strong support with a development history. Good luck.

Last edited:
WE DID IT BOIZ!!

Happy New Year GIF

Feel as if a huge weight has been lifted. The man can enjoy another whole years worth of pay and just focus on HJ's and family for a while.

I don't comment much on the Eagles board on here but I wanted to share my thoughts:

1. I've attached a screen shot of his coaching record at the Eagles. It includes two Grand Final appearances and one Premiership.

2. Compare his record to a coach like Ken Hinkley who hasn't even made a Grand Final. Simpson certainly had a good run at West Coast.

3. Eventually the coaches style, messaging and voice becomes stale. It's probably overdue but it's the right time for the Eagles and Simpson to part ways.

4. As a Richmond supporter, I know exactly what Eagles supporters are going through, we lost Hardwick in 2023 halfway through the season, although it was his decision alone to leave. We then got a new coach for season 2024.....Adam Yze. Whoever the new coach of West Coast is, support the new coach and back them in, just like I will back Yze in. For our clubs we are in a rebuild and transition period. It wasn't that much long ago when our clubs were in contention for a Premiership. Between 2017 and 2020 only two clubs won Premierships - Richmond (3) and West Coast (1). I guess it's just our time to he near the bottom of the ladder and nail the draft and get things right and work our way back uo the ladder towards Premiership contention.

I thought he handled his final Press Conference as Eagles coach really well too.

All the best, Simmo.

Attachments

• 20240709_124514.jpg
    20240709_124514.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
Respectful and raw are not really words you put together

A part of being respectful is not letting someone go into a situation where they are raw and emotional...
Mate I’d have said honest but then you’d have said there was a cover up, and I’d have said he had yellow on his polo and you’d have said it’s really more of a gold.

Be reasonable.

A fantastic presser for Simmo who showed to the very last a great deal of integrity, of respect for the club, of relief, of proper emotion, had a little clip when he thought he could but didn’t seem even 1% bitter, was self depreciating to get a laugh but also honest about shortcomings.

I get you hate the direction of the club but just spare me the pantomime outrage about the press conference sacking the coach you’ve screamed to be sacked for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back