Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that some of you appear to judge the competency of a coaching group based on how good a group of footballers they were is totally stupid and makes you sound like an complete idiot.

With that in mind though, I think we should go for this:

Joel Selwood (Head Coach) - The Best Selwood - if you reckon Scott is good, Joel simply must be better!
Buddy Franklin (Forwards) - Who better to teach young forwards than the best forward of his generation?
Gary Ablett Junior (Midfield) - The Little Master! - nuff said!
Alex Rance (Backs) - Double Premiership Superstar with male model good looks!

After today's game I'm convinced we need an "in between" coach, like what Melb did with Roos and Dons did with Woosha. A coach who has a clear mandate to build & develop a new list and who's job security isn't dependant on rising up the ladder.

Whichever coach comes in needs to cut EVERYONE from the Simpson era, the culture is just so broken that the only fix is to move on to the next generation.

Worst thing that could happen is a coach inherits this culture, tries to build on the existing list only to face the same lame on field efforts by the same culprits and eventually gets the arse. Then cue the next sucker who thinks they can turn it around.
Maybe Woosha would come back for a couple of years...

I think both Worsfold and Sumich would come in and do a job for 3 years if asked and i think that that would be the best thing. Neither of them will get grey hair and burn out from sleepless nights worrying about where the club will be on the ladder in 3 years time and how that will affect their careers. Neither would be looking to use the appointment to springboard a 10 year plus senior coaching career so you would not have the conflict of interest of what is good for the coach (i.e. trading out the draft picks for 25 years old's) vrs what is good for the club.

Give them a mandate to fix the culture, get non - negotiable minimum standards in place in terms of effort, sort out which kids can play and which kids can't for us and develop the ones that can.

How damning was the stat talked about in Schofield's presser?

The ball spent most of the game in St Kilda's half yet St Kilda had 23 D50 tackles compared to Zero for the game for us.
F50 tackles.
Saints had 23 tackles in their f50, we had 0 in ours

Considering the shit supply its not that surprising that we got smashed in that stat

Please don't joke about getting woosh back at the club, if we go with Scooter Selwood I'd legit love to do that director of coaching thing some clubs do and get John back in the blue and gold. Could only work with a young coach you'd think.

Without getting too creative cause I very much doubt we sack the entire coaching panel [even tough that'd be great] I'd be ptreey happy with.

Scott Selwood, Senior Coach.
Insert any Geelong premiership player as line coach here, Selwood pick. Let's say Stevie J forwards.
Jarrad Schofield Mids [with I hate it but Luke Shuey stoppages, surely he was smart enough to secure more than a 1 year contract.]
Harry Taylor, Backs.
John Worsfold, Director of coaching.

I don't love it, I don't hate it. Realistically I think we'll see a blend of new and old and assembling a dream team of eastern states based assistants is probably not going to happen. Tap into Worsfold's experience and general aura, let the new coach bring a right hand man, upgrade Harry Taylor from 2 days a week to full-time. Without knowing a whole lot about him as a coach in terms of style, I think Scooter had the perfect playing career- of being in the right environments at the right times, being elite enough at times as a player to know what it takes but falling short enough due to fate to have that drive required to make more of himself as a coach than he did as a player. I really like the idea of a 34 year old coach and for that to be a bloke who hasn't wrung 300 plus games out of himself but instead started as an assistant at 29.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who say that Buckley hasn’t got a good Premiership record, I think…

If the saying ‘you’ve got to lose one to win one’ has any merit in Aussie Rules folklore at all…perhaps Buckley needed to lose four to WIN FOUR (hopefully at West Coast).

Could realistically happen…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We need a expirenced senior coach.

I fear for the club if we get a coach that the squad eventually has no respect for such as David Teague and David noble

We need a expirenced senior coach.

I fear for the club if we get a coach that the squad eventually has no respect for such as David Teague and David noble

I think it was Simon Black who was interviewed after the Lions 3-peat premierships who said ‘We’d run through walls for Leigh Matthews’.

We need the type of coach who has that kind of effect on players.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Woosha on the board but I think his coaching days are over. In addition to all the usual ex WC players we should be looking at some of the decent assistants interstate like Montgomery, Gia, Skipworth. For some reason I’m not sold on an experienced coach - the record of recycled coaches isn’t fantastic.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Woosha on the board but I think his coaching days are over. In addition to all the usual ex WC players we should be looking at some of the decent assistants interstate like Montgomery, Gia, Skipworth. For some reason I’m not sold on an experienced coach - the record of recycled coaches isn’t fantastic.

I would love for us to interview skipworth.

Worked under woosh.
Head of academy/development
VFL coach 4 yrs
Line coach on all lines
Diverse sports development
Leadership ++

Hayden Skipworth (Collingwood)
Another assistant who been very deliberate in building the strengths required to be a senior coach, Skipworth is now ready for the role after declining previous opportunities to go through application processes. Over close to a decade at Essendon, the 40-year-old was developed specifically to prepare himself for senior coaching, taking charge of the AFL program when John Worsfold was away and helping build Essendon's standalone VFL team, which he coached for four years. Has experience on every line, moving to Collingwood in 2020 as the head of academy before effectively turning his attention to re-shaping the Magpies' ball movement in 2022 and stoppage performances in 2023, improving both areas. A long and diverse apprenticeship has included leadership courses at Harvard and Columbia Universities, and development opportunities with NBA and English Premier League clubs.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

As head of development, yes. We should be asking the question.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
This might be the wrong thread, but can anyone tell me how the NGA is funded?

If the rules are changed, and we now can pick up kids inside 40. Then why cant we do something like that? We have the cash to bully the comp with development, Dew + Scoots, partner up with one of western suburbs schools and head hunt the best kids.

A real program with an eye to development to feed the senior squad in addition to the draft .etc

I mean isn't that what Gold Coast are doing now, with Rhys Shaw?

Right now, our cash reminds me of the song "Money" what is it good for, absolutely nothing if we can't actually use it to gain some sort of competitive edge.

The scary thing is that it will be the diversity hire Woketards and S***Libs on our Board who will be making the decision on the new coach. The same people who have driven the bus off the cliff in the first place. I have zero confidence in these clowns.

I imagine they will be prioritising candidates for the job who have their preferred gender pronouns in their Twitter bio and agree that toxic masculinity and climate change are the two biggest problems facing the club.

The scary thing is that it will be the diversity hire Woketards and S***Libs on our Board who will be making the decision on the new coach. The same people who have driven the bus off the cliff in the first place. I have zero confidence in these clowns.

I imagine they will be prioritising candidates for the job who have their preferred gender pronouns in their Twitter bio and agree that toxic masculinity and climate change are the two biggest problems facing the club.
Confused Little Girl GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back