Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

WC should go after Longmire or Buckley. They're both straight shooters, experienced and command respect, which is important with a young squad like ours. It would also piss Sumich off, which makes these options even more attractive.
I think Bucks might be a builder, but never one to finish it off with a flag. Longmire, throw anything and everything at him….he’s the one we need.

People have a love affair with Longmire...he's only won one flag. 12 years ago. 3 grand final losses since. There's more to Sydney staying decent than just him.

I'd rather poach personnel from Sydney's player development and recruitment/scouting teams than Longmire.

I think Bucks might be a builder, but never one to finish it off with a flag. Longmire, throw anything and everything at him….he’s the one we need.
If Bucks is a builder then that's exactly what we need right now

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

After we get flogged by Fremantle, members should expect some kind of update from Pyke in regard to the coaching appointment process moving forward.

There is no way they sacked Simmo without holding preliminary conversations with key candidates before the sacking.

In all likelihood, the top 3-4 candidates were headhunted months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

After we get flogged by Fremantle, members should expect some kind of update from Pyke in regard to the coaching appointment process moving forward.

There is no way they sacked Simmo without holding preliminary conversations with key candidates before the sacking.

From the sounds of it, it wasnt meant to happen yet.

Simmo asked if he was gonna be there next year, Pyke just told him the truth.

Maybe the talks werent meant to happen until closer to the end of the year, but im sure theyve spoken to a few guys by now

I don't mind if it's Bucks but the counter to this is that he inherited a youngish team that had played in back to back Grand Finals and built them in reverse for a number of years. Finished 1st in 2011 under Malthouse, Bucks takes them to 4th, 6th, 12th, 12th, 12th, 13th over the first 6 years and if it wasn't for the fact that Eddie was still in the throws of the biggest nepotistic man crush the AFL has ever seen then he would surely of been sacked two to three times over by then. Instead he got another 2 year contract extension on the proviso that there be a thorough football department review.

It's one of the more extraordinary football story's is the Collingwood 2018 football season. From memory Buckley having seen his football life flash before his eyes more time than he cared to remember, and on the back of near everyone getting the sack except for him, inexplicably spurs an injury ravaged Pies to a great season- which we mercilessly ruin. Many reported that essentially he was a dead man walking and just lost the stick up his bum for a time. They never again capture that same lighting in a bottle and he's fired [stepped down] half way through the 2021 season. McRae comes in and takes them to a prelim in 22 and they win another premiership in 23. A bizarre career indeed.

Such is the cult of personality around him though that after a few years out of coaching basically any job he want's is his. Go figure. Everyone just seems to have a gut feel that things will go better the next time around and I'm inclined to agree that he'd be one of the better matches for us. Specifically because the reason he sucked at Collingwood was because the ridiculously high standards he set at Collingwood early days, onto a squad who were near reigning premiers, were suffocating. We however at the moment have no standards whatsoever, so you get a guy like that in.

Last edited:
Anyone close to the club with any idea of the type of coach we will be going for? Think we need a hard arse who already has experience in coaching at afl level.

Not much choice in that regard so I'm all aboard the buckley train.

imo we told Simmo he would be gone at seasons end and he decided to quit then and there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone close to the club with any idea of the type of coach we will be going for? Think we need a hard arse who already has experience in coaching at afl level.

Not much choice in that regard so I'm all aboard the buckley train.
No inside goss, but IMO I think its either gonna be an untried lower-rung assistant coach from another club, or a past-it legend of the game. Basically, either someone who wants to "cut their teeth" in the big-boy job, or someone who's had their time and only doing it for the love of the game/ club.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the next coach in is inheriting a poisoned chalice. There is so much wrong with the playing group at the moment, from attitude to talent right down to how individuals want to play the game, and its gonna take years just sorting all that garbage out before we can even look at being a functioning footy side again. Whoever comes in is going to be the guy who lays the foundation of future success, but wont be remembered or lauded by fans of the club for the work they did.

Its a bit like getting a promotion at work and being told your job is to fix the most f*cked up department in the company - only the most ambitious or those who give the least amount of sh*ts are gonna want to take that assignment on.

My guess is Ash Hansen will get the job which I don’t want.
Hayden Skipworth looks the most logical and best choice of the experienced assistants but I’d love Buckley taking over as the pressure wouldn’t get to him like others he’d be great for Harley I think and I’d be trying to get him Corey Enright and Scott Selwood as assistants

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I mean...it's honestly not the worst idea in the world when you think about it. The next coach isn't gonna be a premiership coach, it'll be a rebuilding coach. Hinkley rebuilt a Port list from losing to a first year Gold Coast team to a multi time top 4 finishing team. You can understand the vision when you think about it.

I been saying for a week now that they need an experienced coach in there because a new guy will get eaten alive by how rubbish this team is.

I mean...it's honestly not the worst idea in the world when you think about it. The next coach isn't gonna be a premiership coach, it'll be a rebuilding coach. Hinkley rebuilt a Port list from losing to a first year Gold Coast team to a multi time top 4 finishing team. You can understand the vision when you think about it.

I been saying for a week now that they need an experienced coach in there because a new guy will get eaten alive by how rubbish this team is.
If you're talking about the jump from 2011/12 to the years after, he inherited a list with the like of Boak, Gray, Ebert, Westhoff, Wingard, Hartlett, Wines all coming into their prime. Trust me, he's not some miracle worker, but by all means take him. Please.

If you're talking about the jump from 2011/12 to the years after, he inherited a list with the like of Boak, Gray, Ebert, Westhoff, Wingard, Hartlett, Wines all coming into their prime. Trust me, he's not some miracle worker, but by all means take him. Please.

Also had Alan Richardson and Darren Burgess working with him from day one, while his predecessor had FIFO Laidley on Skype and a 26yo IT guy who had never laced a boot as his ‘midfield coach’ (this, as Port fans know, is not an exaggeration).

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back