Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did make it pretty clear that he thinks the young guys in WAFL haven't been playing well enough to be selectable

But at what point does the performance of the incumbent senior players at AFL level mean they are dropped regardless of pressure from below.

Who’s to say they’d be any better in the WAFL?

Many young men are being drafted on the potential to be a good footballer, that does not mean they are a good footballer.
Once upon a time Football clubs only drafted good footballers. Now if you can run football clubs think they can turn you into a footballer. Which they can't.

I think there is definitely something in this. I feel like we have been super conservative with our later picks for far too long.

It seems like taking blokes who met the athletic profile was a safer choice than picking players who were not there with their bodies/preparation/public schooledpathway.

I think there is way more upside to picking a Maric, McGovern, Cox type who can play but were unfit/overweight. If they find the drive to do the fitness work and the body holds up to the load you have a bona-fide footballer on your hands rather than a guy who is more likely than not to be serviceable in a minor role at best.

Simmo fronted up to 6PR for one final interview in his usual Thursday night time slot. Something he didn’t need to do but I think Adam Papalia is one media person he has respect for so he went on anyway. Did joke about if he was getting paid for it

He addressed the confusion over the farewell game and made it clear he felt at fault for it. Said he hoped Pyke wasn’t getting blamed for it and stressed how well he thought Pyke handled his termination

It was also clear that he really doesn’t like that newspaper. At one point it seemed like he was going to tee off but pulled back

Listening to him talk about selection and the pros and cons of choosing old over young players you can understand why some of the young players might have been. And also why it was necessary for him to be moved on - it was his blind spot

Good interview and it’s clear that there’s little, or none, of the animosity sacked coaches sometimes have towards their former club

Brilliant interview, how goods Paps? Asked all the needed questions but completely respectfully

Also puts some of the Vic media back in their box about criticism of the last game stuff. It sounds like the coin toss is his idea

He definitely did. You can understand why there might be some discontent there (justified or not)

I suppose that's the problem with not being inside the club. On paper guys like Trew appear to be pushing their case, just as Partington did. In the end it took a public surge of pressure for Parto to get a game and I believe he was quickly dropped thereafter.

Simmo did also state in that radio interview that he will not publicly critique his players as they cop enough of that already. The issue here is we don't get told what aspects of a player's game they are not fulfilling to take the jump up to the next level. We can only watch games and review stats and make our own assumptions.

I think there is definitely something in this. I feel like we have been super conservative with our later picks for far too long.

It seems like taking blokes who met the athletic profile was a safer choice than picking players who were not there with their bodies/preparation/public schooledpathway.

I think there is way more upside to picking a Maric, McGovern, Cox type who can play but were unfit/overweight. If they find the drive to do the fitness work and the body holds up to the load you have a bona-fide footballer on your hands rather than a guy who is more likely than not to be serviceable in a minor role at best.

There are young players every year at WAFL colts level that are very good footballers who are being overlooked for faster on foot players who have little to no footy ability.
These players then leave the system at an early age and either give the game away or go to the country to make a quid.

If you gave these good young players who may not be the quickest runners but are evasive and talented the same amount of time we have given Jack Petrucelli then they would all be better than average AFL players.

Brilliant interview, how goods Paps? Asked all the needed questions but completely respectfully

Also puts some of the Vic media back in their box about criticism of the last game stuff. It sounds like the coin toss is his idea

Always made sure I listened to Simpson’s interviews on 6PR with Paps. Always seemed to have a good rapport and whilst Paps often asked difficult questions he did so respectfully which generated honest answers.

Simpson always seemed comfortable with him and I guess that’s reflected in him agreeing to do one last interview when he was under no obligation to do so

I tuned in expecting to hear Jarrad Schofield so was surprised when it was Simpson still

He's clearly a nice guy with great values. Elsewhere he mentioned how he's seen many of the young players come in and now have families and good values, and he's proud of that. You wonder how much those long term relationships affect the coach making tough decisions when the players have families and mortgages etc. There's probably counselling for life post AFL these days and concurrently during AFL life (studies etc).

But as nice as he is, I'm glad there's been a circuit breaker and would like to see a coach with a more steely demeanour and leans more towards 'Footy, Finals, Flag' instead of "Friends, Family, Flag' ? Football clubs are very complex businesses these days regarding players welfare and mental health and education, also with social media. Not like the old days when you were dumped from the team and had to fend for yourself with a job on a building site or whatever it took?

But I've always felt we went too far the other way in correcting the Woosha days of bad culture. It's a long and winding road that led us to here in many ways. Simmo might've put a bit of lipstick on the pig in the interview; it could be a long rebuild ahead, but there is a chance things turn around quicker from the next trade season on, with a new coach?

Last edited:
Other than the jack Williams pick last week, he isn't wrong. They've shown no guts or finesse. The wafl team should've been dissolved
There’s more wrong with the WAFL team than the individual guts or finesse of raw young recruits.
Last year I watched Dewar and Baker try their guts out as physically underdeveloped kids in a hopeless losing cause every week.
More to this story than has publicly been told.

Looks like a classic case of a flawed system as opposed to flawed individuals.

There are young players every year at WAFL colts level that are very good footballers who are being overlooked for faster on foot players who have little to no footy ability.
These players then leave the system at an early age and either give the game away or go to the country to make a quid.

If you gave these good young players who may not be the quickest runners but are evasive and talented the same amount of time we have given Jack Petrucelli then they would all be better than average AFL players.
Very few slow players cut it these days

I just listened to Jared Schofield's interview, and I have to say, he impresses immensely. I think he is made of the right stuff as a coach. The next 7 weeks will be interesting watching.
Spoke very well and if he doesn’t end up with the job here I’d expect he will be a senior coach elsewhere one day soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just listened to Jared Schofield's interview, and I have to say, he impresses immensely. I think he is made of the right stuff as a coach. The next 7 weeks will be interesting watching.

Spoke very well and if he doesn’t end up with the job here I’d expect he will be a senior coach elsewhere one day soon.

Handled himself well in both the interview on SEN and his press conference this morning

Feel like now might be a touch too soon for West Coast but he’s definitely seems senior coach material at some point

Should at least get a chance to present for the job once the season finishes regardless of results over the next 7 matches

Handled himself well in both the interview on SEN and his press conference this morning

Feel like now might be a touch too soon for West Coast but he’s definitely seems senior coach material at some point

Should at least get a chance to present for the job once the season finishes regardless of results over the next 7 matches

Why do you feel a touch to soon for West Coast? He is more than ready and has probably been senior coach ready for some years now.
Now I am not saying we should appoint him as he unfortunately for him has been part of Adams team. I was just curious why you thought not ready for West Coast?

Why do you feel a touch to soon for West Coast? He is more than ready and has probably been senior coach ready for some years now.
Now I am not saying we should appoint him as he unfortunately for him has been part of Adams team. I was just curious why you thought not ready for West Coast?

Probably because as you alluded to, him being part of the coaching panel the last 3 years doesn’t help

Had Simpson stayed until the end of next year and there’d been a bit of an upswing in results he would’ve had a better chance

Also think there are other candidates with longer resumes at AFL level

I still think he’s a chance though

Probably because as you alluded to, him being part of the coaching panel the last 3 years doesn’t help

Had Simpson stayed until the end of next year and there’d been a bit of an upswing in results he would’ve had a better chance

How the club perceive our list will determine which way they go, in my opinion. If it's so dire we need a caretaker to nurture talent and then cop it in the neck when the witch hunt begins, Schoey may be the man.

It's not really the way we've operated historically, but we have also not had a list in quite this poor a shape.

Cheers, I thought you just meant he wasn't ready to coach yet. Agree with all you say. I think he is an outstanding candidate and one day I really hope he gets a gig.

Cheers, I thought you just meant he wasn't ready to coach yet. Agree with all you say. I think he is an outstanding candidate and one day I really hope he gets a gig.
Call me a contrarian but I don't want anyone associated in coaching roles in our club. Want someone with a fresh set of eyes that is willing to rock the boat

Call me a contrarian but I don't want anyone associated in coaching roles in our club. Want someone with a fresh set of eyes that is willing to rock the boat
Schofield looks like he has a whole lot of ideas that weren’t being implemented.
He knows the group and is an experienced successful coach. Subiaco were nearly unbeatable in his time.
If he could bring someone like Coby Burgiel alive that would be great.
Exciting times.

Last edited:
I’ve watched him over the years and I think you’d find just the person you want. He won’t take any s**t and he seems to be his own man. Looking forward to see what he offers over the next few weeks.
As for Cox, a few people here have slagged him. I asked why he wasn’t liked, but haven’t had any legible answer. Anyone able to tell me why he’s not liked?

I’ve watched him over the years and I think you’d find just the person you want. He won’t take any s**t and he seems to be his own man. Looking forward to see what he offers over the next few weeks.
As for Cox, a few people here have slagged him. I asked why he wasn’t liked, but haven’t had any legible answer. Anyone able to tell me why he’s not liked?
I think he is known generally to have a fairly prickly personality.

I had a family friend who was a nurse (she has since died of brain cancer) who was a senior nurse at the clinic where all the players go (or used to go to before Optus was built) for medical assessments post game if necessary and she was always saying that Cox was extremely rude and unpleasant to deal with. Much more so than any other player.

Thats just an anecdotal story but it marries up with general public perception of him. And i don't really care if he is prickly if he is going to get better results at the job than anybody else. But i definately don't think he is known as a very affable or personable individual.

There’s more wrong with the WAFL team than the individual guts or finesse of raw young recruits.
Last year I watched Dewar and Baker try their guts out as physically underdeveloped kids in a hopeless losing cause every week.
More to this story than has publicly been told.

Looks like a classic case of a flawed system as opposed to flawed individuals.
Absolutely this.

E.G. Hutchinson could be much more talented than all the WAFL players

OR

Six months in Collingwood ressie’s (possibly) has set him up for AFL.

It’s quite possible the Beagles setup just isn’t developing our fringe players. One solution - play more fringe Eagles players.

Any/all Witho, Rotham, JJ, Petro, Sheed, Gaff and JD. (Maybe Flynn or BWill?) That might actually mean fringe players have mentors and have hard bodies to protect them.

Jeepers, I gotta get out more. Never knew Dean Cox was perceived as a prickly personality by the general public.
I do remember a very young Brody Grundy saying how he learnt more about the craft of being a ruckman, sitting next to D.Cox on a few hour plane flight, than anything that he'd gotten before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back