Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can’t stay. He’s destroying the club.
Feel like we’ve been overrun by the North loser mentality and I feel like it’s always been around apart from a purple patch in 2018.

Need to switch it up and get some arrogance and hardness back in the entire club. It’s a family focused business at the moment with results not a priority.. not a dynamic, creative football club.

Feel like Pyke was a step in the right direction but he needs to earn it now and make some big calls.

If Pyke isn't prepared or able to spend some money outside the soft cap on off field appointments to try and poach some high quality people and extra resources to help us get out of this hole at the end of this season then i think we have to conclude that there is some force preventing him from doing it, like the WAFC. And therefore as far as the fans are concerned we might aswell have $0 in the bank as opposed to $60 million if we are not prepared to spend any of it to help the club.

Sumich mentioned the bloke who is in charge of the High Performance Program at the club as being another who should walk the plank - Gavin Bell. I had forgtten that name. But i agree with that. Lets make a change in that area aswell.

The last win this we had from this department was Rioli 2018-2019

The same Jake Waterman that played five seasons with Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling and Oscar Allen, yeah? That Jake Waterman needed the retirement of the greatest goalkicker in club history to retire to find his way to his natural position.

I don't disagree with the Darling thing but let's not rewrite history to suit a narrative. If anything, Waterman's career highlights that we need to look ahead with the likes of Maric and Archer Reid and be realistic about where they fit in the side in 3-4 years and either develop them accordingly or use them to build the list in areas of need.
Simpson has never known what to do with Jake and now we know what sort of player he is he still doesn't. Not to mention a forwardline full of key forwards all flying for the same footy, while an AA small forward is up the ground playing better as a midfielder than career midfielders.

What do you make of Kelly's integration into Simpsons midfield set up then? I mean he literally came to the club as one of the established best midfielders in one of the best midfields in Australia.

Feel like we’ve been overrun by the North loser mentality and I feel like it’s always been around apart from a purple patch in 2018.

Need to switch it up and get some arrogance and hardness back in the entire club. It’s a family focused business at the moment with results not a priority.. not a dynamic, creative football club.

Feel like Pyke was a step in the right direction but he needs to earn it now and make some big calls.
The club hasn't been overrun by the North loser mentality. The fanbase certainly has been though. What we need most are players with a higher level of skill and time. Simmo won't be around for much longer but moving him on isn't going to solve what is currently the biggest problem - skill.

Today's game tells you everything you need to know about where we are at. We can compete but we're not good enough in enough areas to be playing finals footy. No amount of coaching is going to change that. We need to replace the Jamaine Jones', the Josh Rothams, the Jack Hutchinsons with AFL-calibre players. We need time for the Reuben Ginbeys, the Harley Reids, the Campbell Chessers to build AFL bodies and learn the intricacies of playing at the AFL level.

Being a campaigner isn't going to make our players better players.

The same Jake Waterman that played five seasons with Josh Kennedy, Jack Darling and Oscar Allen, yeah? That Jake Waterman needed the retirement of the greatest goalkicker in club history to retire to find his way to his natural position.

I don't disagree with the Darling thing but let's not rewrite history to suit a narrative. If anything, Waterman's career highlights that we need to look ahead with the likes of Maric and Archer Reid and be realistic about where they fit in the side in 3-4 years and either develop them accordingly or use them to build the list in areas of need.
I think it’s been a pretty clear flaw in Simpsons time here (or whoever has the final say on the team).

They consistently shoehorn the best 22 names on the sheet rather than the best footballing team, and that includes rushing players back and not rewarding WAFL form over bigger names, regardless of form.

There’s a reason why we’ve had so many duds over the years, partly shit list management but also a severe lack of confidence given to the reserves to break into the team. Hard to develop as a player when you know you’ll be out as soon as the latest premiership star is back.

Simpson has never known what to do with Jake and now we know what sort of player he is he still doesn't. Not to mention a forwardline full of key forwards all flying for the same footy, while an AA small forward is up the ground playing better as a midfielder than career midfielders.

What do you make of Kelly's integration into Simpsons midfield set up then? I mean he literally came to the club as one of the established best midfielders in one of the best midfields in Australia.
Kelly is a polish player. He should have thrived with Naitanui, Yeo and Shuey but he barely got a run at it. I see Kelly transitioning forward as Hewett develops but he'll stay in the midfield for at least the next season or two. The past is the past - Kelly is and should be seen as a stop gap. Someone who can help fill a hole while the next generation filters through.

Huge pressure on Pyke to get our house in order between now and bouncedown season 2025.

If he can't get the board engaged in sweeping change I hope he walks and let's everyone know about it on the way out ala Woosh at the bombres.
Honestly might be worth a sweep out of the board too.

Langer's role in keeping his mate Simmo in a high paying role is the antithesis of what his role of boardmember should be.

He's as guilty of our current condition as Nisbett.

Clean out the boys club mentality at all levels, not just Simpson.

I think it’s been a pretty clear flaw in Simpsons time here (or whoever has the final say on the team).

They consistently shoehorn the best 22 names on the sheet rather than the best footballing team, and that includes rushing players back and not rewarding WAFL form over bigger names, regardless of form.

There’s a reason why we’ve had so many duds over the years, partly shit list management but also a severe lack of confidence given to the reserves to break into the team. Hard to develop as a player when you know you’ll be out as soon as the latest premiership star is back.
That's fair

The club hasn't been overrun by the North loser mentality. The fanbase certainly has been though. What we need most are players with a higher level of skill and time. Simmo won't be around for much longer but moving him on isn't going to solve what is currently the biggest problem - skill.

Today's game tells you everything you need to know about where we are at. We can compete but we're not good enough in enough areas to be playing finals footy. No amount of coaching is going to change that. We need to replace the Jamaine Jones', the Josh Rothams, the Jack Hutchinsons with AFL-calibre players. We need time for the Reuben Ginbeys, the Harley Reids, the Campbell Chessers to build AFL bodies and learn the intricacies of playing at the AFL level.

Being a campaigner isn't going to make our players better players.
I think quite a few have the skill as an attribute because we’ve seen in in our better games this year. They just lack the confidence to execute their skills, especially under pressure. Even Reid is starting to lose his shine and revert to the hesitant way the rest of the team play.

We need a circuit breaker because with every embarrassing loss it just snowballs and the following week they come out just as anxious and hesitant, and around we go again.

The Essendon loss was a killer because it felt like we were starting to get a bit of belief within the playing group before then.

Sumich mentioned the bloke who is in charge of the High Performance Program at the club as being another who should walk the plank - Gavin Bell. I had forgtten that name. But i agree with that. Lets make a change in that area aswell.
The guy in charge of high performance we just poached from dogs. Keep up.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gavin bells the head of football… he was never qualified for the role but he had the golden touch with nissy and here we are

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think quite a few have the skill as an attribute because we’ve seen in in our better games this year. They just lack the confidence to execute their skills, especially under pressure. Even Reid is starting to lose his shine and revert to the hesitant way the rest of the team play.

We need a circuit breaker because with every embarrassing loss it just snowballs and the following week they come out just as anxious and hesitant, and around we go again.

The Essendon loss was a killer because it felt like we were starting to get a bit of belief within the playing group before then.
The natural circuit breaker is going to be this offseason. Outside of the Adelaide game, and maybe Collingwood when we were without Yeo, we've shown something in every game this season. Even Hawthorn last week wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. We were actually fairly good in the contest but they had an answer for everything. We should turn over 3-4 best 22 players this offseason, which will make a bigger difference than I think everyone is giving the club credit for. I would personally like to see more creativity out of defense but there's obviously a reason why we aren't trying things (I would like to know though).

Kelly is a polish player. He should have thrived with Naitanui, Yeo and Shuey but he barely got a run at it. I see Kelly transitioning forward as Hewett develops but he'll stay in the midfield for at least the next season or two. The past is the past - Kelly is and should be seen as a stop gap. Someone who can help fill a hole while the next generation filters through.
Its goes on and on though. How is it possible to have not developed a credible ruck succession plan for Nic Nat? How can our defence suck to this extent despite have the best CHB in the league (and Barrass) to build it around?

The natural circuit breaker is going to be this offseason. Outside of the Adelaide game, and maybe Collingwood when we were without Yeo, we've shown something in every game this season. Even Hawthorn last week wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. We were actually fairly good in the contest but they had an answer for everything. We should turn over 3-4 best 22 players this offseason, which will make a bigger difference than I think everyone is giving the club credit for. I would personally like to see more creativity out of defense but there's obviously a reason why we aren't trying things (I would like to know though).
Geez mate. There's positivity and then there's just outright drinking Kool aid.

Just go ahead and ignore the fact we've had most players available all year and still managed to only win three games.

You clearly forgetting the shit shows against Bulldogs, port, giants, Collingwood, Adelaide, gold coast.

Losing to the saints and north at home was diabolical.

You saying the loss to the hawks wasn't that bad as everyone making out....seriously are you Adam Simpson?
Our best side for 4 years and get flogged to a rebuilding team that struggled to win away from home for years.

And now we lose to Melbourne and make them look like premiership favourites...

Maybe stop taking those mushrooms.

Honestly might be worth a sweep out of the board too.

Langer's role in keeping his mate Simmo in a high paying role is the antithesis of what his role of boardmember should be.

He's as guilty of our current condition as Nisbett.

Clean out the boys club mentality at all levels, not just Simpson.
Seen a few people critical of Langer's close relationship with Simmo. Is this fair? He knows what playing in a high performance environment takes and he literally lost his job because his players didn't like the tough feedback he gave.

I think if he fought for his mate last year it was because he believed in him, as most of the fans did fwiw, but he's not one to gild the lily.

Geez mate. There's positivity and then there's just outright drinking Kool aid.

Just go ahead and ignore the fact we've had most players available all year and still managed to only win three games.

You clearly forgetting the shit shows against Bulldogs, port, giants, Collingwood, Adelaide, gold coast.

Losing to the saints and north at home was diabolical.

You saying the loss to the hawks wasn't that bad as everyone making out....seriously are you Adam Simpson?
Our best side for 4 years and get flogged to a rebuilding team that struggled to win away from home for years.

And now we lose to Melbourne and make them look like premiership favourites...

Maybe stop taking those mushrooms.
Understand where we have come from the last two years and go back and watch the games

Its goes on and on though. How is it possible to have not developed a credible ruck succession plan for Nic Nat? How can our defence suck to this extent despite have the best CHB in the league (and Barrass) to build it around?
The ruck is an interesting question but Naitanui was still supposed to be contracted for this season, right? I imagine we thought Bailey and Jamieson might be better than than they are at this point. Our defense has been fairly solid this season. They've really only struggled when the ball has come back in transition, which is more a midfield/forward issue.

Sumich “yes him” was correct yesterday on sportsfm, the longer we wait with this bloke the more time is wasted .

Been saying this for months, the rebuild does not really start until a new coach is in.

Seen a few people critical of Langer's close relationship with Simmo. Is this fair? He knows what playing in a high performance environment takes and he literally lost his job because his players didn't like the tough feedback he gave.

I think if he fought for his mate last year it was because he believed in him, as most of the fans did fwiw, but he's not one to gild the lily.

He doesn’t want Simpson to be treated like he was…. Unfortunately nothing is further from the truth and he should walk when Simpson does..

Unfortunately i think simmos time is done now.

Whats the point meandering thru another 8 or so games with him at the helm.

Thank him for his services, premiership and his ability to cop the complete shit thats been thrown at him the last 2 years and give him the respectful exit that is warranted.

We have a glut of tall forwards at the moment. With experience in allen, waterman and cripps...darling is surplus to requirements, and like gaff and shouldnt be in this team barring injury.

Absolute baths need to be given to kelly and yeo.

At least a caretaker coach has zero stress and no loyalty to the players so we will see players given call uos on form and not given a free pass.

He doesn’t want Simpson to be treated like he was…. Unfortunately nothing is further from the truth and he should walk when Simpson does..

You are just repeating the original accusation I was questioning. Langer has had a long time in the public eye in which time his character has been pretty thoroughly vetted. Saying he is defending his mate who doesn't deserve his job doesn't really align with what I have seen.

Again, other than last year when he was supposedly taking a position that most fans would have too.

So I'm asking is any of this based in fact or are you just adding 1+1 and getting -183747?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back