Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking back I reckon only Ron Alexander was treated unfairly. 11-11 record for an expansion team's first season is ridiculous. Especially when it was only announced in October 1986 for a March 1987 start.

Simmo's been given more than enough time to prove he's the man to take us forward, and we shat the bed with as close to a full strength team as you're ever going to get. So just like Mick in 1999 and Woosha in 2013 ... IT'S TIME.

Doesn't take away 2018 and never will. Club legend.

Looking back I reckon only Ron Alexander was treated unfairly. 11-11 record for an expansion team's first season is ridiculous. Especially when it was only announced in October 1986 for a March 1987 start.

Simmo's been given more than enough time to prove he's the man to take us forward, and we shat the bed with as close to a full strength team as you're ever going to get. So just like Mick in 1999 and Woosha in 2013 ... IT'S TIME.

Doesn't take away 2018 and never will. Club legend.
Things were looking rosy after we beat Melbourne but sheez been ordinary since. Perplexing case of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I reckon he would have been cut more slack if he abandoned land of the giants after it was shown not to work and played the yoof. Still would've got flogged but at least people could see we were trying to move forward.
Sad really, sitting behind the goals when the final siren went in the 18 gf was one of the great moments of my life and I'll always thank Simmo for that.

Reverting to the land of the giants, then doubling down on it, I just can't make any sense of it. "We're too tall, they're gonna waltz out every time the ball hits the deck" Which is exactly what happened. Every single week. With the added bonus of our tall forwards being outmarked too!

It's like he was daring the board to sack him. Bizarre!

My five cents worth as a pleb who realistically wouldn't know one end of a football from the other, but who has supported the club since day one and been a member for 20 years, both in WA and over this side.

I love Simmo, but I love our club more.

Whether it's today or the end of the season, Simmo deserves to go out with respect. He coached us to a premiership, something the majority of AFL coaches don't achieve in their careers. We rebounded quickly from the trough we were in when Woosha left and 2015-2018 were great years, the 2015 GF disappointment aside. He deserves full credit for that. He also deserves great credit for the way he has conducted himself through the last three years of failure. Let's not dance on his grave.

The club hierarchy decided to try to keep our premiership window open for a few years after 2018 and the gamble seemed reasonable at the time. Who knows, if many of the players had been hungrier for more success rather than content with 2018, and if Willie had handled a drug test differently, we might have genuinely contended again.

However ... After a perfect storm of bad luck, bad decisions and inadequate culture, we are now scraping along the bottom in our sixth year of a premiership hangover and change is clearly required. The indicators continue to be dreadful, gameplan and team selection foremost among them. This has to be on the head coach now. I wouldn't have minded if he'd gone at the end of last season, but it is crystal clear now we need someone else.

Let's not kid ourselves about how dire the state of our playing list is. Whoever gets appointed has an enormous job ahead of them and needs a good long run at it. A lot of things have to go right for us to avoid being stuck in the bottom half of the ladder for the next decade. Securing the right coach (and assistants) is one of them.

I support this club through thick and thin, but I want to see hope for the future. I want to see us for the remainder of this season focusing on development of our young players and finding out which ones have a future with us by actually playing them at AFL level, and not as subs or for just one or two games.

Whether it's today (preferably) or the end of the season, a new Eagles era is beginning. I'm looking forward to the ride.

Crap comment, just because people want the club to have new head coach.
You dramatically claim they want to dance on his grave.
Go tune into Bold and the beautiful ya drama Queen!
I'm a Simmo fan but like most thought it was time for change.

The difference is, I don't enjoy it and continue to post derogatory posts like you and a few others.

You peanut.

My five cents worth as a pleb who realistically wouldn't know one end of a football from the other, but who has supported the club since day one and been a member for 20 years, both in WA and over this side.

I love Simmo, but I love our club more.

Whether it's today or the end of the season, Simmo deserves to go out with respect. He coached us to a premiership, something the majority of AFL coaches don't achieve in their careers. We rebounded quickly from the trough we were in when Woosha left and 2015-2018 were great years, the 2015 GF disappointment aside. He deserves full credit for that. He also deserves great credit for the way he has conducted himself through the last three years of failure. Let's not dance on his grave.

The club hierarchy decided to try to keep our premiership window open for a few years after 2018 and the gamble seemed reasonable at the time. Who knows, if many of the players had been hungrier for more success rather than content with 2018, and if Willie had handled a drug test differently, we might have genuinely contended again.

However ... After a perfect storm of bad luck, bad decisions and inadequate culture, we are now scraping along the bottom in our sixth year of a premiership hangover and change is clearly required. The indicators continue to be dreadful, gameplan and team selection foremost among them. This has to be on the head coach now. I wouldn't have minded if he'd gone at the end of last season, but it is crystal clear now we need someone else.

Let's not kid ourselves about how dire the state of our playing list is. Whoever gets appointed has an enormous job ahead of them and needs a good long run at it. A lot of things have to go right for us to avoid being stuck in the bottom half of the ladder for the next decade. Securing the right coach (and assistants) is one of them.

I support this club through thick and thin, but I want to see hope for the future. I want to see us for the remainder of this season focusing on development of our young players and finding out which ones have a future with us by actually playing them at AFL level, and not as subs or for just one or two games.

Whether it's today (preferably) or the end of the season, a new Eagles era is beginning. I'm looking forward to the ride.
Well said

Honestly this is all a croc of shit. Replace Simmo, dont replace Simmo....

The will they, won't they argument will have the club internally under pressure with their asses out and focusing on one thing self-preservation.

Either way, we are not moving from the bottom three. The list is top heavy with majority of the talent closer to the end than with 200 games still to be played.

There is a lack of standards and integrity that needs to be front and center. And its a double edge sword with develop the kids and give them games. If they cant do it in the 2nds without effort and chase then why does the footy world believe they will do it at the top level.

The board needs to make a plan and stick to it. If this means Simmo remains for 18 months, do it and back him.

If its a new coach, rip the band-aid off and get it done. I dont believe a new coach will do anything but delay the noise for another 6 months and he too will be in the gun answering the tough questions like Yze.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys won 2018 which was a remarkable achievement for a non-Vic side since 2007
Was an unbelievable game and a shock premiership win given pre-season expectations - so an unreal experience.

Also came off well for Collingwood long term, made the tough calls and managed to build up again and win a premiership 5 years later - whilst we’ve declined every year since then.

Get Him Out GIF

Was against in season sackings - but have come around to it over the past few days.

Pretty keen to just put the last 3-4 years of this club behind it.

Royal commission needs to be conducted into whatever caused the fall off after 2019. As much as 2018 was great, the list should've been in the window to seriously contend for the next 2-3 years.

Was against in season sackings - but have come around to it pver the past few days.

Pretty keen to just put the last 3-4 years of this club behind it.

Royal commission needs to be conducted into whatever caused the fall off after 2019. As much as 2018 was great, the list should've been in the window to seriously contend for the next 2-3 years.
2019 - that Richmond game at the MCG looked like it was destined to be replayed on the last day in September again - a GF between the last 2 premiers - and instead, we finished 5th and went out second week

2020 - Premiership favourites halfway during the Optus run at home, finished 5th again and went out 1st week at home to a Pies team that was declining and finished 17th the following season

Those were 2 really disappointing seasons

Surprised Kelly couldn’t have just text over his thoughts again.
Surprised Kelly couldn’t have just text over his thoughts again

If thats true he should be shown the door. Didnt Simmo accept him when he sooked up because he was homesick? I used to like him as a player.. Now he is on the s### pile. He should count himself lucky that they accepted him . This is only if is correct about leaks!!!

Surprised Kelly couldn’t have just text over his thoughts again

If thats true he should be shown the door. Didnt Simmo accept him when he sooked up because he was homesick? I used to like him as a player.. Now he is on the s### pile. He should count himself lucky that they accepted him . This is only if is correct about leaks!!!

Pretty stark difference between sooking it up and struggling without a support network with multiple young, autistic children.

However, when the news broke that a senior player was one of the "texters" I must admit he was my first thought.

Body language has been shocking this year. Chooses when to go. Looks like he's got his back up about something. No longer "the man" with Yeoy firing and Reid in the team. I turned the game off at QT on the weekend after watching some of his efforts. I have watched every game in full for the past few seasons, except the one on the weekend and some random Tigers game a season or two ago that we were putrid. So that should say something..

Stop speculating about who made the texts unless you are ITK.

Also learn to read. Alt was making a joke in relation to Kelly withdraw from press conference. Not suggesting Kelly sent those text

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back