Opinion Adelaide Crows New Logo Discussion

We need a new logo

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just googled 'adelaide crows logo wings out' and there's a few that are heaps better than what the club has proposed thus far. I'm not suggesting any of these are a finished product, but they're much better starts than the 'build a bird from shapes' design. No doubt some were created and posted here already.

Good bird, background and font need work.

View attachment 2126707

A little too much colour, looks like some kind of tribal headdress, but could be worked on and improved.
View attachment 2126709

This one is ok, miles better than what's presently on the table. Dignified looking bird, still needs background work though.
View attachment 2126710

Bird might need work on this one, get more detail into it and a bit more menacement (new word I just created).
View attachment 2126714

Next 2 I reckon are good starting points, wings out bird coming at you.
View attachment 2126716
View attachment 2126717
These are arse 😂

For what it's worth, in my opinion, it needs to head in either one of two directions:

1. more abstract, like the Arizona Falcons logo, or
2. more illustrative, like the Collingwood, West Coast, or Hawthorn logos.

Trying to be a bit of both creates a 'grey' outcome.

I think there's an opportunity to move the versions shown above to be more abstract to create a mark that imbues quality and professionalism, while harkening back to the OG logo of the swooping crow.

Edit: I had 20 mins at lunch to sketch this up, based on the leaked logo proportions. This is what I mean by being more abstract.

Note: I've ignored colours and typography at the moment, as that's a complex set of variables. They can be designed once the symbol gets refined.

Initial comments:
1. beak is perhaps too curved. This is a crucial part of the logo and helps to define it as a crow.
2. removed the feet as they aren't really necessary to give the impression of a 'swoop'. The feet out swoop also feels more like an eagle or a hawk.
3. the angles aren't quite right. would ideally create an underlying grid that uses similar curves and angles
4. probably need to create a proportional relationship of the wing and the body that has a better balance. iterations are the key to cracking this nut. lots of them until it feels right.

View attachment 2126917

Edited to add a sketch idea to the mix.

For what it's worth, in my opinion, it needs to head in either one of two directions:

1. more abstract, like the Arizona Falcons logo, or
2. more illustrative, like the Collingwood, West Coast, or Hawthorn logos.

Trying to be a bit of both creates a 'grey' outcome.

I think there's an opportunity to move the versions shown above to be more abstract to create a mark that imbues quality and professionalism, while harkening back to the OG logo of the swooping crow.

Edit: I had 20 mins at lunch to sketch this up, based on the leaked logo proportions. This is what I mean by being more abstract.

Note: I've ignored colours and typography at the moment, as that's a complex set of variables. They can be designed once the symbol gets refined.

Initial comments:
1. beak is perhaps too curved. This is a crucial part of the logo and helps to define it as a crow.
2. removed the feet as they aren't really necessary to give the impression of a 'swoop'. The feet out swoop also feels more like an eagle or a hawk.
3. the angles aren't quite right. would ideally create an underlying grid that uses similar curves and angles
4. probably need to create a proportional relationship of the wing and the body that has a better balance. iterations are the key to cracking this nut. lots of them until it feels right.

View attachment 2126917
Too classy for a Footy Club.

Pretty good though.

Too classy for a Footy Club.

Pretty good though.

There's layers to getting to the end result.

Typography would be a big part of adding in some distinction and removing the 'airline brand' feel about it.
Colour would be the trickiest nut to crack. Three primary colours are very hard to work with.

There's also the notion that this is only one component of the entire visual identity. A mascot (Claude) helps to balance out the sharp slickness of a mark like the one above, to cater for the other side of your audience.

My belief is that getting these components all working together is the key to getting an optimal result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just googled 'adelaide crows logo wings out' and there's a few that are heaps better than what the club has proposed thus far. I'm not suggesting any of these are a finished product, but they're much better starts than the 'build a bird from shapes' design. No doubt some were created and posted here already.

Good bird, background and font need work.

View attachment 2126707

A little too much colour, looks like some kind of tribal headdress, but could be worked on and improved.
View attachment 2126709

This one is ok, miles better than what's presently on the table. Dignified looking bird, still needs background work though.
View attachment 2126710

Bird might need work on this one, get more detail into it and a bit more menacement (new word I just created).
View attachment 2126714

Next 2 I reckon are good starting points, wings out bird coming at you.
View attachment 2126716
View attachment 2126717
The only one of those that isn't horrible is the CMS Crows style one.

While it's possible the leaked logo was an earlier version of the final product, I think whatever the final version is, it's likely done?

New logos usually announced no later than early November, just over a month away, with merchandise lead times, membership kits, training gear to be delivered, things like animated graphics for club media, all are likely all in production.

Wouldn't be surprised if the leak came from someone involved in the production of something using the logo, not the logo designers/club.

More clean up ... my son had a few minutes to run it through InkScape and straighten up my wonky lines a touch, and:

• Correct colours as per SA state guernsey (Blue - Pantone 295, Red - Pantone 199, Gold - Pantone 137)
  • Correct colour order for the feathers (as per our jumper)
  • Cleaned up beak
View attachment 2126984
Job done.

Send this to the club.

People here doing a better job than the club.

It's like that law on the internet that says the best way to get an answer to something is to post something you know is wrong and you'll get corrected.

Perhaps the club is smarter than we realise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Adelaide Crows New Logo Discussion

Back