Coach Adelaide under Matthew Nicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely not coming in here to defend Nicks, but I reckon their list is massively overrated and holds them back from success just as much if not more than the coaching.

They tried to do one of those quick retools instead of a more thorough rebuild and it is coming home to roost now. Staring down the barrel of a decade of pain.

Yep basically need to do a semi rebuild again but this time do it propely

instead of trying to take ridiculous short cuts

There’s some ok pieces to build from now compared to where they were back in 2020 but jeez they d want to start nailing some of their picks and in particular for midfielders.

The lucky (or perhaps scary) part for Adelaide is things could’ve been diabolically worse.

theyve basically been saved from themselves a couple times now (firstly the attempted JHF trade and in particular the Harrison petty fiasco.
-Imagine haven given up a top 5 pick and later first round selection for that spud??

Clearly the bloke running their list management/drafting should be the first to get the bullet before anything

Definitely not coming in here to defend Nicks, but I reckon their list is massively overrated and holds them back from success just as much if not more than the coaching.

They tried to do one of those quick retools instead of a more thorough rebuild and it is coming home to roost now. Staring down the barrel of a decade of pain.
Disagree. They refuse to give the kids a go instead play old hacks in the midfield. Those mids are getting smashed.

Lets not romanticize about their wins or their potential. They are where they deserve to be.

This is not a good coach.

Nicks is clueless
He has hamstrung development of many young players
He has his favourite senior players who’ve tried and failed numerous times
He coaches week to week and constantly contradicts himself , he’s a cancer that needs to go

We should be throwing $$$ at Dean Cox or Nathan Buckley

The below team is more than good enough to play finals and on its day can match it with anyone
Under the current regime it’s failing , that’s on him

FB: Michaelanny- Murray- Worrell

HB: Nankervis - Keane - Milera

C: Soligo - Crouch - Hinge

HF: Rachele - Walker - Pedlar

FF: Keays - Thilthorpe- Fogarty

R: O’Brien - Dawson - Rankine

INT: Cook - Curtin - Schoenberg- Laird

Sub: Berry
That team is terrible

Crows don’t have the cattle, especially that Vanilla team they had in tonight. It had zero pizzazz and quite a few SANFL types to my eye.
I’m sticking with my initial assessment that this guy can coach, and he has had to to come from a very low base. He got them up to being a dangerous team but now they have hit a speed bump I would back him in with proper recruitment rather than blaming something else.

Richmond have been a competitive team in a lot of games despite the W/L and do have somewhat of a Premiership pedigree in part. Swamp tweeted Richmond had far more 17 GF players still playing than Adelaide.

Yze can coach too for that matter.

Crows don’t have the cattle, especially that Vanilla team they had in tonight. It had zero pizzazz and quite a few SANFL types to my eye.
I’m sticking with my initial assessment that this guy can coach, and he has to to come from a very low base. He got them up to being a dangerous team but now they have hit a speed bump I would back him in with proper recruitment rather than blaming something else
NO media skills. I dont rate him at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks sure isn’t it but totally agree their drafting , particularly first rounders would have to be league worst for the amount they’ve taken.
Nicks is clueless
He coaches week to week and constantly contradicts himself , he’s a cancer that needs to go

The below team is more than good enough to play finals and on its day can match it with anyone

Lulz Wut?

I'd probably sack Reid for some contracts to older players that backfired but he's at least had a few wins at the trade table and he's not the reason our midfield is shit. Ogilvie is the culprit there. He's awful at recruiting mids. Could definitely be a valuable member of a recruiting team, particularly in the later rounds, rookies etc. but he's not the guy you want running the show.

Nicks is clueless

Your list is not impressive. The names arent dogshit but the balance doesnt make sense.

Way too much draft capital and probably money spent on the forwardline.

Its just way too thin everywhere else

The problem is Justin Reid and Hamish Ogilvie. Reid is Adelaide’s list manager - he is the son of former Adelaide football boss John Reid - if that’s not boys club, I don’t know what is. Reid and Ogilvie have spent 10 years giving us one of the worst lists in the AFL. THEY are the FAR bigger problem than Nicks. But Nicks will be sacked undoubtedly.

Your list is not impressive. The names arent dogshit but the balance doesnt make sense.

Way too much draft capital and probably money spent on the forwardline.

Its just way too thin everywhere else

Our backline has been our strongest area this year. Before last week we had the 4th lowest points against.
And that’s without our best defender Nick Murray.

Well if anyone knows about that it’s a Carlton supporter. I think you’re right.

The problem is Justin Reid and Hamish Ogilvie. Reid is Adelaide’s list manager - he is the son of former Adelaide football boss John Reid - if that’s not boys club, I don’t know what is. Reid and Ogilvie have spent 10 years giving us one of the worst lists in the AFL. THEY are the FAR bigger problem than Nicks. But Nicks will be sacked undoubtedly.

You’re right about young Reid, but look up … who signs off on him and other misfits like Burton etc …

8E6CAE5B-C133-473B-8FC0-06B04699AE82-6266-00000D063ADB6AFD.jpeg

Day was never going at 6

But using 6 on McAsey when Young and Serong were the next 2 picks would hurt
the best part about this was word had it Carlton were really keen to to trade /swap 1st rounders with the crows because they were keen on young and Adelaide were somewhat confident McAsey would slide to Carlton’s so were eyeing off bolstering their draft hand and still getting their target

Freo ,who were very keen on both serong and young got wind of it so started leaking stories of how they were also considering mcasey , as to frighten Adelaide into not trading down .
And so “sure “ of themselves that mcasey was their man Reid and Ogilvie took the bait hook line and sinker and knocked back a deal with Carlton .

Walls then casually went onto select young and serong

God bless those 2 Adelaide muppets !!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back