Coach Adelaide under Matthew Nicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Experienced coaches are overrated.

Was McRae an experienced coach?
Kingsley wasn't an experienced coach but instantly revitalised GWS, albeit they're having a lean trot atm.

You don't need to pick someone who's been a senior coach before, in fact you're generally better off not doing it.

That's fair, though in the Crows case we have gone with a first time head coach every time since Gary Ayres.

Neil Craig
Brenton Sanderson
Phil Walsh (RIP)
Don Pyke
Matthew Nicks

I think it would be ok to give an experienced head coach a go at this point. Though I think there is a cultural reason why we don't, an experienced coach might be a bit too independent and rock the boat for all the second rate losers that have clung to the club for years.

The following is my opinion.

Reid Sr engineered the Tippett cheating deal. Then we hire his agent son to be our list manager, Reid jr sucks.
Adam Kelly is an incompetent and unqualified football operations manager.
Matthew Nicks is an incompetent coach.
Hamish Ogilvie is a terrible recruiter.
Michael Godden is a total loser (Trump voice)
Nathan Van Berlo is a Neil Craig disciple
Roo has a face for radio, voice for print and loves getting jobs for his mates, football director on the board, shouldn't be anywhere near the club in any capacity.
Our development of players is awful.

Get rid of them all.

Bad admin, bad drafting, bad development, bad coaching.

We got talent-less hacks on the field, in the coaches box and on the board.
So apart from all that, everything else is going ok

You're the one who stated that he refuses to give the kids a go. I'm asking you who those kids are.

Coaches lie all the time to keep their players and bosses on side. This isn't a new thing.
Rachele. Literally everyone wants him in the midfield but not Nicks.

I also listened to JD speak about Rachele. Clear tension among playing group

He is the worst coach in our clubs history and is on par with the likes of Allan Richardson at the Saints and Tony Shaw at Collingwood late 90s. We only have positive win/loss records against 3 teams under Nicks and three at equal parity.
I wanted to expand on this after last night, these are our win/loss records vs every team under Nicks and our last win against them. It's fairly damning; our only 4 wins this year are against the only 4 teams we have decent success over under Nicks.

TeamWinsLossesLast Win
North
6​
1​
Round 8 2024
West Coast
5​
3​
Round 12 2024
Carlton
4​
2​
Round 5 2024
Port
4​
4​
Round 9 2024
Hawthorn
3​
3​
Round 6 2023
GC
2​
4​
Round 21 2023
St Kilda
2​
2​
Round 9 2023
Brisbane
1.5​
4​
Round 11 2023
Fremantle
1​
4​
Round 4 2023
Geelong
1​
4​
Round 1 2021
GWS
1​
4​
Round 16 2020
Melbourne
1​
5​
Round 10 2021
Richmond
1​
4​
Round 5 2022
Western Bulldogs
1​
3​
Round 6 2022
Collingwood
0​
7​
Never
Essendon
0​
5​
Never
Sydney
0​
4​
Never

I thought the same reading that best 22. A lot of potential, but listing guys like Rachele, Thilthorpe, Schoenberg, Pedlar, Nankervis has a lot of “what they could do” about it, plus I think guys like Milera, Fogarty, Crouch & O’Brien are overrated as it stands
Isn't that the same of any best 22 in the comp that are just coming out of a rebuild and starting to push finals? Our genuine A grade players are Tex, Dawson and Rankine and then we have a lot of promising talent under the age of 25 (Soligo, Rachele, Nankervis, Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Worrell, Keane, Pedlar, Hinge, Murray, Curtin, Dowling). We also have the 3rd ranked defence this year.

The list is not premiership quality yet, but it's certainly good enough to be starting to make finals. To be in the bottom 4 is 100% on our poor off field decisions made post 2023.

Fogarty a slow learner - bumping into the defender lead to 2 spoils + 1 free against, just dumb. Insanely frustrating even as a neutral.

Maybe I’m frustrated because I suck at playing footy but I’m watching finding a basic error or dumb mistake every 2 minutes.
Fogarty was in our top 5 last night and heading into the game was the highest ranked key forward in the comp over the last month. He's tracking just fine and will be a lot better off once Thilthorpe returns too.

Like I said other threads. Hes the worst coach in gameplay and media skills combined.

Tell me who else speaks as poorly as Nicks?
Hinkley is just as bad as Nicks when it comes to speaking.
The lack of scrutiny on both SA club coaches makes you wonder if there's a directive from AFL HQ, because surely it can't be a coincidence.

Fogarty was in our top 5 last night and heading into the game was the highest ranked key forward in the comp over the last month. He's tracking just fine and will be a lot better off once Thilthorpe returns too.

Highest ranked key forward based on what metric?

Champion Data (no idea what goes into the it), they mentioned it pre game last night on Fox Footy

No offence but Champion Data are notoriously rubbish with their "elite" stuff.

Fogarty has not come on in the way that Crows fans hoped, and neither has Thilthorpe (injury there but he has missed a lot of important development footy).

However Rankine has been great and was worth everything they paid and more.

Fogarty has not come on in the way that Crows fans hoped, and neither has Thilthorpe (injury there but he has missed a lot of important development footy).

DOesnt elite mean theyre in the top 5% on a stat. Im not sure on the figures so dont quote me.

Max Holmes is elite with Meters gained at 596 meaning he must be in the top 20 or so. 596 is very good.

Have to admit his season is well up from career average

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fogarty is 24 and Thilthorpe is 21. It is widely agreed that big key position players take longer to develop.
They’re both tracking absolutely perfectly. Thilthorpe was looking ominous in preseason games before his knee injury.

Just have a look where Nicks came from. Seven years assistant under Stinkley (and a year under Cameron).

And what a surprise, another team that (like Port), has a huge gap between their brilliant best, and shocking, stinking worst. And you never know which you're gonna get. It's a decent squad, and sometimes the coach can get plenty out of them, but very often they can't, and have no read logical reasons as to why. Same as Port. It's no huge mystery.
Well said. I wanted Yze in 2019 instead for this reason, was between him and Nicks for the job.

Yze would’ve instead come from many years of being under Clarko.

Fogarty is 24 and Thilthorpe is 21. It is widely agreed that big key position players take longer to develop.
They’re both tracking absolutely perfectly. Thilthorpe was looking ominous in preseason games before his knee injury.

Not sure I agree there. Fogarty in particular should be doing more at 24.

DOesnt elite mean theyre in the top 5% on a stat. Im not sure on the figures so dont quote me.

Max Holmes is elite with Meters gained at 596 meaning he must be in the top 20 or so. 596 is very good.

Have to admit his season is well up from career average

There was a thing a few years ago where someone had two kicks but they were both goals or something like that and therefore they were 'elite'.

Experienced coaches are overrated.

Was McRae an experienced coach?
Kingsley wasn't an experienced coach but instantly revitalised GWS, albeit they're having a lean trot atm.

You don't need to pick someone who's been a senior coach before, in fact you're generally better off not doing it.

Experienced coaches generally don't work because most of the time they are yesterday's men just topping up their super, Pagan and Malthouse to Carlton, Clark to North etc.

It is almost taboo to poach a coach from another club. Hardwick has backdoored it to get to GC, Freo had a good run after poaching Lyon from the Saints, Collingwood eventually got there after poaching Malthouse from WC. There are not many examples of a wanted coach changing clubs over the years which is why statistics for experienced coaches would not read great.

On the other hand it is fine to say McRae wasn't an experienced coach but clubs are churning through a dozen Brendan Boltons, Mark Neelds, Scotty Watters etc to find that one diamond from the assistant ranks.

View attachment 2013515

Whether or not Nicks can coach I think there are some genuinely deluded Adelaide fans if they think that team is supposed to be making finals

They need Rankine, Tex and Dawson to go ballistic to have a chance of winning games. It's not sustainable

The next time there is analysis of having 2-3 really poor teams in the comp and some sides get to play them twice, Nicks will be a prime example of one of the broader and longer lasting negative effects.

Regards

S. Pete

Noone could in all seriously argue that fogarty is tracking "absolutely perfectly"

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There was a thing a few years ago where someone had two kicks but they were both goals or something like that and therefore they were 'elite'.
I guess thats where you can filter some things out.

Curnow and King both have 36 goals but King has 6 less shots on goal. Still both elite but on that stat Ben King has a slight avantage.

A Player who gets 30 uncontested kicks from the kick out may be considered elite but in reality the skill is low. Yes they need to hit a target so its worth something but vs hitting a target inside 50 with 10 kicks is potentially worth more

They need Rankine, Tex and Dawson to go ballistic to have a chance of winning games. It's not sustainable
If Adelaide wants to develop their youth faster they need to consistently play Curtin, Rachele in the midfield, promote youth and get rid of the old players who are underperforming anyway.

They need to trade for a key fwd and retire Walker. Hes done. Shows how quick the drop can come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back