Coach Adelaide under Matthew Nicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely not coming in here to defend Nicks, but I reckon their list is massively overrated and holds them back from success just as much if not more than the coaching.

They tried to do one of those quick retools instead of a more thorough rebuild and it is coming home to roost now. Staring down the barrel of a decade of pain.

I agree, and it's why I don't entirely blame Nicks, like I didn't entirely blame Alan Richardson for us. The list management and drafting has been poor. It reminds me of us under in 2017, where we still had Reiwoldt and Montagna running around with a bunch of highish draft picks that we were realising aren't that good, combined with way too many decent to good players and very little x factor. Players like Schoenberg, Hinge, Mchenry, Burgess, Scholl remind me of blokes like Dunstan, Acres, Billings, Savage, Gresham, Newnes etc. They have traded in genuine matchwinning dynamic talent in Dawson and Rankine to put the list over the top but I don't know if there is enough talent to complement these players.

I don't know enough about Nick's gameplan and personality to judge if he's the right man, but it seems like a tough job for any coach. Still think they have enough young talent to retool the list and be around the mark in a couple of years.

It is both recruiting and coaching

Dawson and Rankine fell in our lap, OOC crows supporters who wanted to come home and we were loaded with $$$. Max is probably our next best talent and he is a FS. Just pure luck really.

Enough has been said about 7 years of majority failed first rounders. McAsey was a KPD who doesnt intercept not sure what went through their brain to take him at 6.

We are offering Yeo big $ and also threw the sink at Oliver and Petty. It's like giving a 7 year old a credit card. We have Fog, Thilt and Welsh next year, why are we offering 2 firsts for Petty offer a handful of games playing forward.

Development is on the coaches. We move Laird out of the midfield for not playing well in Q4 last week, only for him to play there full time this week while all the kids play wing/hf. Funny thing is Soligo trained to play wing in preseason, only went inside because the midfield was copping abuse in the media non stop. We persist with Murphy and McHenry who everyone knows are not AFL standard while Dowling gets 30 in the SANFL every week, only getting a chance due to Crouch injury and plays better than either of them ever had. And Crouch would be leading our BnF and he is only playing because Laird was out for a week last year.

Nicks needs to go, Hamish needs to go, Reid needs to go and Roo needs to go. Silvers is also a PR spin machine and I'm not sure he's the answer. We are used to having the most useless CEOs in the country in Trigg and Fagan the bar is as low as possible.

The whole thing is a mess.

The following is my opinion.

Reid Sr engineered the Tippett cheating deal. Then we hire his agent son to be our list manager, Reid jr sucks.
Adam Kelly is an incompetent and unqualified football operations manager.
Matthew Nicks is an incompetent coach.
Hamish Ogilvie is a terrible recruiter.
Michael Godden is a total loser (Trump voice)
Nathan Van Berlo is a Neil Craig disciple
Roo has a face for radio, voice for print and loves getting jobs for his mates, football director on the board, shouldn't be anywhere near the club in any capacity.
Our development of players is awful.

Get rid of them all.

Bad admin, bad drafting, bad development, bad coaching.

We got talent-less hacks on the field, in the coaches box and on the board.

Just have a look where Nicks came from. Seven years assistant under Stinkley (and a year under Cameron).

And what a surprise, another team that (like Port), has a huge gap between their brilliant best, and shocking, stinking worst. And you never know which you're gonna get. It's a decent squad, and sometimes the coach can get plenty out of them, but very often they can't, and have no read logical reasons as to why. Same as Port. It's no huge mystery.

Reid Sr engineered the Tippett cheating deal. Then we hire his agent son to be our list manager, Reid jr sucks.
Roo has a face for radio, voice for print and loves getting jobs for his mates, football director on the board, shouldn't be anywhere near the club in any capacity.

Get rid of them all.

All those above names can’t all be sh*t. Maybe the list is just not up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

All those above names can’t all be sh*t. Maybe the list is just not up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Our list is shit because of most of those people. Ogilvie can’t draft gun mids, Reid has given out ridiculous contracts (and then there's Gibbs) and Nicks is clueless in regards to player development.

He's not a premiership coach. Struggles with the media, doesn't seem like he's the guy that can inspire players to greatness. I just don't see the connection between coach and players you get with other very good coaches.

I genuinely believe he's the worst coach in the system as of now. Even if Ken left Port Adelaide, he'd take another side to finals.

Verdict obviously out on YZE

He won't make it past 2025.

I always felt Nicks was a bit weird in the sense that he rocked up on day 1 and spoke in the media like he has all the answers.

Same as Noble did. Same as Guy McKenna did.

I compare that approach to Sam Mitchell and even Yze currently where they pretty much acknowledge that they're rookies and whilst they have a plan and are confident they'll be good coaches - they don't profess to be gurus.

Reality is that when you first take on an AFL coaching job - you have no idea WTF you're doing. You're doing your best and hoping that it works out how you hoped it would, but you're 100% learning on the fly.

Nicks came across like it was easy and he had all the answers on day one. To me, it was a sign of someone who was bluffing. It was hubris.

Same as Noble was.

To be honest, not much has changed my opinion.

I’m a North fan with nothing riding on this Crows Tigers game. Yet I am insanely frustrated watching the Crows play.

1) their forwards are constantly behind the defenders
2) their forwards all are selfish taking potshots and then yell at their teammates when they don’t get the pass later
3) terrible kicking to leads & around the ground
They have a lot of players that like the cheapies out the back, but guys like Vlastuin & Balta will play behind and intercept.

The Crows have had some pretty good teams since 2000 but only have one grand final appearance to show for it.

Nicks is clearly not the answer but can't really put all the blame on him.

Get rid of them all.

Time for a shakeup. A lot of those names have been there forever whilst other clubs have refreshed.

Odd that young Reid has survived so long particularly after trading 2 first rounders for an almost 30 yr old Bryce Gibbs!

Also a bit stuck with who do you replace him with? Goodwin would be the prime target but he's got a pretty good gig already. After that it's slim pickings for experienced coaches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also a bit stuck with who do you replace him with? Goodwin would be the prime target but he's got a pretty good gig already. After that it's slim pickings for experienced coaches

Experienced coaches are overrated.

Was McRae an experienced coach?
Kingsley wasn't an experienced coach but instantly revitalised GWS, albeit they're having a lean trot atm.

You don't need to pick someone who's been a senior coach before, in fact you're generally better off not doing it.

Get rid of them all.

Where's that Carlton guy who always mentions "young Reid"

Disagree. They refuse to give the kids a go instead play old hacks in the midfield. Those mids are getting smashed.

Lets not romanticize about their wins or their potential. They are where they deserve to be.

This is not a good coach.

Never said he was a good coach. I'm not a believer in him, but I reckon he's in a tough spot with the talent at his disposal.

As for giving the kids a go - who are the talented youngsters on their list that aren't getting AFL games?

Never said he was a good coach. I'm not a believer in him, but I reckon he's in a tough spot with the talent at his disposal.

As for giving the kids a go - who are the talented youngsters on their list that aren't getting AFL games?
Last night he said we've got the list so he's either deluded, naiive, or lying.

I think even Chris Scott would struggle coaching the Crows with the current setup of the FD. I dont think Nicks is that bad.

Experienced coaches are overrated.

Was McRae an experienced coach?
Kingsley wasn't an experienced coach but instantly revitalised GWS, albeit they're having a lean trot atm.

You don't need to pick someone who's been a senior coach before, in fact you're generally better off not doing it.

It's an interesting discussion.

Often 'experienced' coaches are available because they weren't any good. So their records of being ordinary probably skew the stats somewhat.

Having said that, why would experience be an advantage as an AFL coach?
The advantage that experience gives humans in every facet of life is that they can learn from mistakes, make choices based on what they've already learnt and therefore be less reactive.

So how much of the stuff that relates to that would you not learn from being an assistant coach? How much would you not learn from coaching an U18 or SANFL/VFL side?

It seems as though the real key to AFL coaching is being able to manage and lead people, and to thrive under pressure. That, and the ability to identify when your ego is has gone from a strength to a liability.

I don't think experience at AFL level really matters in regards to that. As ex-AFL players and experienced Assistant Coaches, I'd argue they've already had quite length experience in this areas.

It's an interesting discussion.

Often 'experienced' coaches are available because they weren't any good. So their records of being ordinary probably skew the stats somewhat.

Having said that, why would experience be an advantage as an AFL coach?
The advantage that experience gives humans in every facet of life is that they can learn from mistakes, make choices based on what they've already learnt and therefore be less reactive.

So how much of the stuff that relates to that would you not learn from being an assistant coach? How much would you not learn from coaching an U18 or SANFL/VFL side?

It seems as though the real key to AFL coaching is being able to manage and lead people, and to thrive under pressure. That, and the ability to identify when your ego is has gone from a strength to a liability.

I don't think experience at AFL level really matters in regards to that. As ex-AFL players and experienced Assistant Coaches, I'd argue they've already had quite length experience in this areas.

So much of it is in the mental approach, and getting players to believe in themselves, which mcrae was able to achieve. It's also why Hinkley is such a massive loser, and how we've basically crumbled in every big game for the last decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back