Adelaide's decline

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of Adelaide's demise - it's as though they've been able to hold everything back, but the dam wall has suddenly and completely burst.
- Kurt Tippett draft sanctions
- Huge player exodus
- Internal dissent
- Decline of their CHF
- Death of Phil Walsh, even

And they held it at bay till quarter time of the 2017 GF, and then it all collapsed in.

The rot had set in for years before under Trigg. It’s amazing that Adelaide fans had the awareness to call him “dopey” and hound him out of the joint prior to all of this meltdown and yet they’ve been kool-aid drinkers for the most part since, particularly about the camp.

For those wondering about Sloane's leadership credentials and why we're screwed at both admin level and player level.

June 27, 2018

Adelaide Crows AFL camp 2018: Rory Sloane hits back at Chris Judd comments
STAR Adelaide midfielder Rory Sloane has hit back at dual Brownlow Medallist Chris Judd, who this week questioned the Crow’s transparency around the club’s infamous pre-season camp.
www.foxsports.com.au

“I 100 per cent game back from that camp feeling like a better husband, a better son and a much better teammate than when I was before I left for that camp. For me the experience was unbelievable,” Sloane said.

“It’s possible that Rory Sloane found the camp as transformational as that. But given all the evidence we now know, it’s probably hard to believe,” Judd said.

“When I did hear Rory Sloane talk like that about the camp, it just reminded me of the pressures players are under for group thinking and to toe the party line — and when you do toe the party line for an extended period of time, there is a big cost to players. A little piece of you dies each time you say something publicly that you don’t actually believe.”

Judd said he “constantly” toed the party line as a player and that “the vast majority of players do it”.

“I don’t think you want to underestimate the importance of players still being able to have individual thought and being able to say what they think.

“When they are constantly toeing the party line, we can underestimate the long-term effects it can have on players.”

“Juddy, as nice as it would be if we were married, I think the only people who can comment on whether I have become a better husband or son is my wife and parents,” Sloane said.

Jump to August 2020
No Cookies | The Advertiser

www.adelaidenow.com.au
www.adelaidenow.com.au
Now in his 12th season with Adelaide, Sloane says he’s loving his football more than ever.

“Tex was saying to me the other day: ‘How good is the job we have’,” he says.

“Although I haven’t been part of a year that’s had a win-loss record like this … I love playing footy more than ever.

So Sloaney is enjoying his footy more than ever and Tex is wandering around saying how great his job currently is. Nah, we've got no problems with the senior leadership at our club. These guys are physically and mentally cooked. Both of them need to be exited from the club at first opportunity.

Last edited:

Agreed giving him that sort of contract at his age was daft, but then what would you be saying if we’d let him walk out the door?
If it was 5 years at 28 or walk to St Kilda I'd take option 2 everytime.

He fleeced you.

If he wouldn't have stayed for 3 than you don't want him.

He fleeced you.

Crazy contract for a player at his age that plays the way he does. Worse, you can pretty well guarantee that the average is around the $800k mark. And you can guarantee that both Tex and Talia are earning around the same in their twilight years. It's how our cap management system works. We reward for past deeds, not expected future performances and that's why we lose more than most after initial contracts and first minor extensions. Far too much tied up in 'loyal servants' who warrant half what they're getting.

“When I did hear Rory Sloane talk like that about the camp, it just reminded me of the pressures players are under for group thinking and to toe the party line — and when you do toe the party line for an extended period of time, there is a big cost to players. A little piece of you dies each time you say something publicly that you don’t actually believe.”
How dead must Chris Judd feel inside after defending his "environment ambassador" role for the last 10 years?

For those wondering about Sloane's leadership credentials and why we're screwed at both admin level and player level.

June 27, 2018

Adelaide Crows AFL camp 2018: Rory Sloane hits back at Chris Judd comments
STAR Adelaide midfielder Rory Sloane has hit back at dual Brownlow Medallist Chris Judd, who this week questioned the Crow’s transparency around the club’s infamous pre-season camp.
www.foxsports.com.au

“I 100 per cent game back from that camp feeling like a better husband, a better son and a much better teammate than when I was before I left for that camp. For me the experience was unbelievable,” Sloane said.

“It’s possible that Rory Sloane found the camp as transformational as that. But given all the evidence we now know, it’s probably hard to believe,” Judd said.

Judd said he “constantly” toed the party line as a player and that “the vast majority of players do it”.

“I don’t think you want to underestimate the importance of players still being able to have individual thought and being able to say what they think.

“When they are constantly toeing the party line, we can underestimate the long-term effects it can have on players.”

“Juddy, as nice as it would be if we were married, I think the only people who can comment on whether I have become a better husband or son is my wife and parents,” Sloane said.

Jump to August 2020
No Cookies | The Advertiser

www.adelaidenow.com.au
www.adelaidenow.com.au
Now in his 12th season with Adelaide, Sloane says he’s loving his football more than ever.

“Tex was saying to me the other day: ‘How good is the job we have’,” he says.

“Although I haven’t been part of a year that’s had a win-loss record like this … I love playing footy more than ever.

So Sloaney is enjoying his footy more than ever and Tex is wandering around saying how great his job currently is. Nah, we've got no problems with the senior leadership at our club. These guys are physically and mentally cooked. Both of them need to be exited from the club at first opportunity.
Really interesting comments from Judd about having to toe the party line.
That's life for nearly everyone in management of a large organisation.

As (outwardly at least) a supporter of the camp and the clubs handling, would he be seen by his teammates as someone untrustworthy?

He fleeced you.

I agree with you that it would’ve been the smart decision.

That doesn’t change the fact the vast majority of football fans and journalists would’ve smashed the Crows for another player walking out the door. As with the other player departures, they wouldn’t give 2 seconds thought to whether it would’ve been a sensible contract to give him or not.

Really interesting comments from Judd about having to toe the party line.
That's life for nearly everyone in management of a large organisation.

As (outwardly at least) a supporter of the camp and the clubs handling, would he be seen by his teammates as someone untrustworthy?

I would think that is an inevitable result of speaking out glowingly on behalf of admin whilst everyone else is being actively silenced. I can see only 3 options;

1. Players weren't comfortable going to Sloane to have their grievances brought up with admin
2. Players were comfortable and he did as asked and still went on record speaking glowingly despite teammate concerns having been brought to him
3. Same as 2., but he didn't bring up player concerns with admin

Doesn't really matter how it went down, Rory Sloane was already or becomes part of the problem.

That doesn’t change the fact the vast majority of football fans and journalists would’ve smashed the Crows for another player walking out the door. As with the other player departures, they wouldn’t give 2 seconds thought to whether it would’ve been a sensible contract to give him or not.
Agree 100%, but if Roo had come out and like he did with the others and say we only were comfortable with 3..... you'd be looking really good atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, they wouldn’t beat the Eagles at the moment, or Glenelg. Even Norwood should at their best. They just don’t produce it often enough. North and South would go close as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Do you even realise how pointless the comparison is?

The question was asked, I gave an answer. If you disagree with that answer that is fine, say so.

On the other hand, if you feel the comparison is pointless, why participate in the discussion in the first place.

I think it's pointless because there will never be a serious game held between any of the SANFL clubs and Adelaide.

And the reality is it wasn't really a question. It was a tongue in cheek dig by a poster that Adelaide are so shit right now they couldn't beat a SANFL team.

That's why I chose to participate in the discussion. Is that too hard to understand?

I think it's pointless because there will never be a serious game held between any of the SANFL clubs and Adelaide.

And the reality is it wasn't really a question. It was a tongue in cheek dig by a poster that Adelaide are so sh*t right now they couldn't beat a SANFL team.

That's why I chose to participate in the discussion. Is that too hard to understand?

No, they actually asked if they would win the flag in the SANFL, not how many SANFL teams would they beat in the SANFL. Was it a cheeky dig. Perhaps it was. Does not mean it is not worthy of discussion.

Again, if you feel it is pointless, why post?

No, they actually asked if they would win the flag in the SANFL, not how many SANFL teams would they beat in the SANFL. Was it a cheeky dig. Perhaps it was. Does not mean it is not worthy of discussion.

Again, if you feel it is pointless, why post?

OK - let's extrapolate that into how many serious games would Adelaide have to play in the SANFL to win the premiership? Can you see where I'm going here?

Do you really think you're going to get a worthy discussion here on that type of hypothetical? How did you to come to conclusion that the teams you named would beat them? Or is it just 'the vibe'?

Just to be clear, these were all rhetorical questions. I'll move on now

Agree 100%, but if Roo had come out and like he did with the others and say we only were comfortable with 3..... you'd be looking really good atm.

Yes. Much like trading in Gibbs at any cost, I think the 5 year deal was worrying about what was a good look, and what might have been good short term, without worrying about long term.

Literally everyone I've spoken to about the Sloane deal said the same thing - great that we kept him, but serious doubts whether he'd remain a quality player over the 5 years. Everyone figured he'd drop off, due to how he plays.

It would have been hard to lose him and we would have been a laughing stock, but at least we'd have gotten something for him and had a bunch of cap space to play with. Now, we're a bigger laughing stock than ever, and he's probably only playing because it's too embarrassing to drop him.

I mean, I really hope his bad form this year is only (!) down to the terrible off field side of the club, the inexperienced/incompetent coaching and fitness team etc, and he comes back next year playing great footy. He's not the only unfit guy with no motivation on our list! But either way it was very clearly reckless to sign him up for 5 years on big money.

OK - let's extrapolate that into how many serious games would Adelaide have to play in the SANFL to win the premiership? Can you see where I'm going here?

Do you really think you're going to get a worthy discussion here on that type of hypothetical? How did you to come to conclusion that the teams you named would beat them? Or is it just 'the vibe'?

Just to be clear, these were all rhetorical questions. I'll move on now

All I am guilty of is possibly misinterpreting the question in the first place. Oh the humanity.

The question was possibly meant as the current team the Crows have in the AFL. I probably meant it to mean if the Crows had a team in the SANFL as well as the AFL, as in previous years. This why I gave the answer I did. Please excuse my crime.

But either way it was very clearly reckless to sign him up for 5 years on big money.
I think at the time 3 would have looked sensible with an expected drop off in the 3rd and maybe a year by year after that....

No one would have forecast 1 to 2 (?) in his body was that bad, it's definitely quicker than many would have expected.

But can't blame him really, he was the face of the club, the Anti Danger so to speak, loyal club man.... and yeah he milked it, who wouldn't really.

Just think it needs a complete start afresh, top to bottom, can't have any remnants now.

I think at the time 3 would have looked sensible with an expected drop off in the 3rd and maybe a year by year after that....

No one would have forecast 1 to 2 (?) in his body was that bad, it's definitely quicker than many would have expected.

But can't blame him really, he was the face of the club, the Anti Danger so to speak, loyal club man.... and yeah he milked it, who wouldn't really.

Just think it needs a complete start afresh, top to bottom, can't have any remnants now.

Would it have been possible to have given him a 3 year deal, with an option for a 4th and even a 5th. If so, this would have been the best way to go. Not sure you can do that in the AFL can you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide's decline

Remove this Banner Ad

Back