Adelaide's form - A Dead Cat Bounce?

Remove this Banner Ad

Howdy Crow Girl.

Yep, I know those names pretty well, all are very good players who now have a fair few km on the clock. Problem is in the prior post I was listing / discussing well known young emerging tallent, from the Pies I can think of six players, the Crows all I can name is one.

Thats why I asked how many Rising Star nomination had the Crows recieved in the past two years.

ok, so you're dumb enough to think rising star nominations are an effective barometer. right, go it.

next you claim, that because you don't know much about another club's prospects, that this is a perjorative on the prospects and not your own dismall knowledge? check, got that too. :)

ok, so you're dumb enough to think rising star nominations are an effective barometer. right, go it.

next you claim, that because you don't know much about another club's prospects, that this is a perjorative on the prospects and not your own dismall knowledge? check, got that too. :)

I recall in 2004 the Eagles recieved 5 or 6 rising star nominations, they seemed to do alright in the following two years.

A commentator at the time mentioned the only club to better that was Brisbane who received 7 nominations.......hey and guess what.......that was just before they played in 4 Grand Finals and won 3 in a row.:eek:

So rising star nominations are a dumb barometer to use according to you.

I'm guessing you have that view as the Crows haven't recieved any so you convieniently are going to ignor this as a performance indicator.:cool:

Just sharing a bit more of my dismal knowledge with you "oh all powerful and one who knows everything:D"

I'm guessing you have that view as the Crows haven't recieved any so you convieniently are going to ignor this as a performance indicator.

The number of Rising Star nominations could be used as a relative performance indicator amongst those clubs who like to fast-track their young players.

Since the Crows don't fast-track young players, but rather introduce them slowly over a couple of seasons with only a few games each season, then Rising Star nominations isn't a useful performance indicator for Crows youngsters.

Put it another way - there is an old saying "you have got to be in it to win it". Well, for better or for worse, the Crows effectively withold their young players from "being in it" when it comes to rising star nominations. Since they "aren't in it", they won't win it.

That is how you get the situation where Rutten gets an AA jumper in his first full year, but no rising star nomination. That is how you get Knights being amongst the league leaders for possessions in his first full year, but no rising star nomination.

Understand?

A commentator at the time mentioned the only club to better that was Brisbane who received 7 nominations.......hey and guess what.......that was just before they played in 4 Grand Finals and won 3 in a row.:eek:

No, it was just AFTER they had played in those Grand Finals.

The 7 were:
  • Justin Sherman (2005, R6)
  • Jed Adcock (2005, R12)
  • Troy Selwood (2005, R15)
  • Anthony Corrie (2005, R17)
  • Michael Rischitelli (2006, R8)
  • Cheynee Stiller (2006, R13)
  • Matthew Moody (2006, R15)

At the end of their glory days (01-04), Brisbane lost a lot of their premiership heroes to retirement. It was the kids who came in to replace them who gained the nominations.

BTW, this does nothing to refute your comment about West Coast having had 6 nominations in 2 years. IMHO, their list management is the best in the league and I would use this as evidence.

No, it was just AFTER they had played in those Grand Finals.

The 7 were:
  • Justin Sherman (2005, R6)
  • Jed Adcock (2005, R12)
  • Troy Selwood (2005, R15)
  • Anthony Corrie (2005, R17)
  • Michael Rischitelli (2006, R8)
  • Cheynee Stiller (2006, R13)
  • Matthew Moody (2006, R15)
At the end of their glory days (01-04), Brisbane lost a lot of their premiership heroes to retirement. It was the kids who came in to replace them who gained the nominations.

BTW, this does nothing to refute your comment about West Coast having had 6 nominations in 2 years. IMHO, their list management is the best in the league and I would use this as evidence.

Well Darth, it seems you have access to some Rising Star stats that I don't. Being a Sith Lord I can only imagine what dark forces you have at your disposal.

Appologies for getting the timing of Brisbane's nominations out of order but I do recall the commentator talking up the Eagles prospects after getting their sixth nomination.

Oh, and Darth, how's about that light saber rematch in the after life we've been avoiding. Promise this time I won't concede:eek:

Obeanie1 Kenobi:D

Many punters were somewhat surprised on how the Crows swept aside a lackluster Collingwood on Saturday. The Crows looked fitter and sharper than their opponents with several Crows saying this preseason had been their hardest yet.

So basically the Crows have pushed harder sooner in an effort to get a jump on the rest of the comp. Its like watching the Melbourne Cup and in the first km the sprinters bolt out only to be reigned in at the post.

To use a stock market term I can see the Crows performing a "Dead Cat Bounce" by defying their critics early in the season but seriously dropping off the pace in the second half.

Yes they have some good looking youngsters but these guys just like their key 30+ yr olds will struggle late in the season IMO.

Ok, fair enough. What about West Coast's regular season form? Would you say their form, to use a vehicular term, would be akin to "Roadkill"?

Obeanie1 said:
Many punters were somewhat surprised on how the Crows swept aside a lackluster Collingwood on Saturday. The Crows looked fitter and sharper than their opponents with several Crows saying this preseason had been their hardest yet.

So basically the Crows have pushed harder sooner in an effort to get a jump on the rest of the comp. Its like watching the Melbourne Cup and in the first km the sprinters bolt out only to be reigned in at the post.

The Crows just made it in to the top 4 this week, for the first time this season after losing in round 1 by less than a kick to the Bulldogs (who are currently unbeaten). The Crows other loss was to the Hawks, who are also currently unbeaten.

This means that the Crows so far have beaten four also-ran sides, and lost to two pretty good sides ... so their season form could still be anywhere really.

The next four matches coming up for the Crows are Kangaroos, Melbourne and Essendon at AAMI, and West Coast at Subiaco. Round 11 is against Richmond. If the Crows can at least maintain their current form through that period, the cat may have bounced reasonably high by the time mid-season comes around.

Perhaps the cat wasn't really dead in the first place?

I do believe yours truely posted a sincere appology on the Crows board several weeks ago regarding this first round statement.

I was wrong............Crows look good............Eagles are shot.

Move along nothing to see here!!!!!!!

I do believe yours truely posted a sincere appology on the Crows board several weeks ago regarding this first round statement.

I was wrong............Crows look good............Eagles are shot.

Move along nothing to see here!!!!!!!

Heh heh. Takes a man to admit he was wrong. Move along I will ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide's form - A Dead Cat Bounce?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back