Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I reckon if Ronaldo had grown up playing Aussie Rules I reckon he'd be a decent midfielder in the AFL.
I (& jatz14) was generalising about the attributes of Australian soccer players -of course, from the c. 1,000,000 Aust. male soccer players, there would be some who were extremely athletic & determined, & might be able to play at the elite AFL level if that interested them. Ditto European elite soccer players.

Notwithstanding that, my belief is that AF competes, primarily, with RL & RU for players -not soccer, or other non-body contact sports

This view is shared & confirmed by the comments of NRL officials (Daily Telegraph article 7.5, above -post #2488). Why else would they say that the AFL (with such low regd. nos. in GWS!) is the major threat to RL in GWS? Why does the NRL not say soccer, with its massive regd. nos. in GWS, is the major threat to RL?

Why should they answer your question?

You claimed small guys can't play Rugby League so you must obviously already know their height and weight.

Are you ever going to answer my question about Bevan French?
Muncher never said " small guys can't play Rugby League". Why did you make this false assertion?

Some commentators here are playing semantics.

The Daily Telegraph article, of 7.5 above, referring to the 15% decline in 2017 in jnr. RL regd. nos. in GWS, also mentioned the concerns that RL has re weight differences. The concern is not unusual,nor unexpected.

There is an almost universally held view that, cf. 20 years ago, current elite RL & RU players are, on average, heavier & taller (Ditto elite AF players). Does anyone seriously doubt this? Why are we even arguing about it?
Muncher, at post#2525 above, provided corroboration. This view has also been substantiated by the recent NRL discussions/rule changes of the desirability of bringing interchange nos. down to 8 -& maybe 6 -so more short & light weight players (more flair) can become as common in the NRL (& elite RU) now as they were 20 years ago. The view is incontrovertible.

If anyone has a contrary view re average current RL/RU height & weight cf 20 -30 years ago, can some evidence be provided?

Last edited:

Muncher never said " small guys can't play Rugby League". Why did you make this false assertion?

Some commentators here are playing semantics.

The Daily Telegraph article, of 7.5 above, referring to the 15% decline in 2017 in jnr. RL regd. nos. in GWS, also mentioned the concerns that RL has re weight differences. The concern is not unusual,nor unexpected.

There is an almost universally held view that, cf. 20 years ago, current elite RL & RU players are, on average, heavier & taller (Ditto elite AF players). Does anyone seriously doubt this? Why are we even arguing about it?
Muncher, at post#2525 above, provided corroboration. This view has also been substantiated by the recent NRL discussions/rule changes of the desirability of bringing interchange nos. down to 8 -& maybe 6 -so more short & light weight players (more flair) can become as common in the NRL (& elite RU) now as they were 20 years ago. The view is incontrovertible.

If anyone has a contrary view re average current RL/RU height & weight cf 20 -30 years ago, can some evidence be provided?

Quite frankly it is typical of a couple of posters to attempt to misconstrue whatever i say, who knows why, its possible it is just part of a long running vendetta.

You are correct, i never said all small guys cant play RL, i said they are not as accepted as they once were and i think there is plenty of evidence to back that up, in fact you are correct in stating that the NRL have discussed rule changes so lighter weighted players can make a comeback.

What i have said is not mind blowing or particularly controversial, so i am really struggling to work out why 2 moderators and a known RL troll have somehow taken offence and argued a point they cant win.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...i/news-story/3074f22bf37dc1ef71884689dd23662a

Jiangsu Suning boss Choi Yong-soo and midfielder Xiaobin Zhang looked perplexed when asked if they would follow the first AFL clash for points in China at the weekend.

Port Adelaide hosting the Gold Coast Suns in Shanghai didn’t register a mention from Jiangsu’s duo with the club’s media officer asking if the game being played was in fact rugby.

The clash is a sellout at Shanghai’s Jiangwan Stadium, attracting 10,000 fans on Sunday.

“They play (AFL) in Shanghai?’’ said Jiangsu’s media officer.

“Australian football? You mean rugby?”

Choi and Zhang are in Adelaide preparing for the AFC Champions League clash against Adelaide United at Hindmarsh on Tuesday night with the match to be televised live to TV audiences in China, Thailand, Cambodia, the Middle East, South East Asia on the Fox network, Uzbekistan, India and Australia on Fox Sports.

China’s PPTV will broadcast the Reds and Jiangsu match to a live audience.

The company is the largest online TV service in China with more than 260 million users.

The Port Adelaide and Suns clash will not be shown on live TV in China after reports last year suggested China’s CCTV was going to beam the match to a new audience as it happened.

I am so embarrassed for the soccer journalist who wrote that article and the one who asked that question (particularly if it's the same person)

Unspeakably embarrassing. 99% of Australians would have had no idea this soccer team was in the country. I just googled them and apparently they are one of China's biggest clubs and their turnover is less than port adelaides.

Australians haven't heard of jiangsu and Chinese haven't heard of port Adelaide. Woopty fuggin do

http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...i/news-story/3074f22bf37dc1ef71884689dd23662a

Jiangsu Suning boss Choi Yong-soo and midfielder Xiaobin Zhang looked perplexed when asked if they would follow the first AFL clash for points in China at the weekend.

Port Adelaide hosting the Gold Coast Suns in Shanghai didn’t register a mention from Jiangsu’s duo with the club’s media officer asking if the game being played was in fact rugby.

The clash is a sellout at Shanghai’s Jiangwan Stadium, attracting 10,000 fans on Sunday.

“They play (AFL) in Shanghai?’’ said Jiangsu’s media officer.

“Australian football? You mean rugby?”

Choi and Zhang are in Adelaide preparing for the AFC Champions League clash against Adelaide United at Hindmarsh on Tuesday night with the match to be televised live to TV audiences in China, Thailand, Cambodia, the Middle East, South East Asia on the Fox network, Uzbekistan, India and Australia on Fox Sports.

China’s PPTV will broadcast the Reds and Jiangsu match to a live audience.

The company is the largest online TV service in China with more than 260 million users.

The Port Adelaide and Suns clash will not be shown on live TV in China after reports last year suggested China’s CCTV was going to beam the match to a new audience as it happened.

I wonder why the advertisers soccer journo is writing this story?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Quite frankly it is typical of a couple of posters to attempt to misconstrue whatever i say, who knows why, its possible it is just part of a long running vendetta.

You are correct, i never said all small guys cant play RL, i said they are not as accepted as they once were and i think there is plenty of evidence to back that up, in fact you are correct in stating that the NRL have discussed rule changes so lighter weighted players can make a comeback.

What i have said is not mind blowing or particularly controversial, so i am really struggling to work out why 2 moderators and a known RL troll have somehow taken offence and argued a point they cant win.
Yes, nothing novel, unusual, or controversial has been said by you re current RL body shapes.
RL officials, in the DT article of post #2488, actually were the instigators of the subject -to which you & I responded.

Perhaps your phrasing might have been more precise ie replace your word " accepted" with " widespread", might have been more strictly accurate. But this is semantics.

These weight issues have been discussed for many years -in the media, in public online responses to such media reports, privately amongst sports fans & parents; & last, but not least, publicly by the NRL, NSWRL, ARU etc. (In 2017, for the first time in many decades, Sydney RU jnrs were asked to provide weight & height information).

There can be sensitivities when discussing body shape, racial issues. Some people/organisations may be uncomfortable, for a variety of reasons, discussing openly such issues.

Last edited:
I am so embarrassed for the soccer journalist who wrote that article and the one who asked that question (particularly if it's the same person)

Unspeakably embarrassing. 99% of Australians would have had no idea this soccer team was in the country. I just googled them and apparently they are one of China's biggest clubs and their turnover is less than port adelaides.

Australians haven't heard of jiangsu and Chinese haven't heard of port Adelaide. Woopty fuggin do
yet you Constantly attack the FFA/A-League/Craig Foster/Socceroos

I reckon so too because they had great courage. Throw in Kenny, Langer and a host of others who went on to play SoO and International footy. Those guys, like the ones I've mentioned all played/play key roles at their clubs.

Small men are an accepted part of Rugby league and in the modern game continue to be the key play makers and are often the first blokes picked. Only those who watch the game know this.

yet you Constantly attack the FFA/A-League/Craig Foster/Socceroos

I "attack" this kind of cringeworthy crap from Australian soccer types including the implicit comparison between the a league and the afl. Port are trying to make a buck in china, good on them. Apart from Koche, nobody has made any claims about what it means. What is true though is there is no greater football league outside of Europe and the us than the afl (people could debate Brasil). Asking a Chinese soccer player whether he's heard of the port game like it means anything just screams australian soccer's cultural cringing inferiority complex...

When have I "attacked" the Socceroos?

Last edited:
I "attack" this kind of cringeworthy crap from Australian soccer types including the implicit comparison between the a league and the afl. Port are trying to make a buck in china, good on them. Apart from Koche, nobody has made any claims about what it means. What is true though is there is no greater football league outside of Europe and the us than the afl (people could debate Brasil). Asking a Chinese soccer player whether he's heard of the port game like it means anything just screams australian soccer's cultural cringing inferiority complex...

When have I "attacked" the Socceroos?
Just like I cringe when I see any touring Soccer team from overseas kicking a Sherrin wearing the colours of an AFL team for the Melbourne media. Swings and roundabouts.

Yes. How many guys under 80kg play AFL?
This question made me sufficiently curious foe me to check it out on the Collingwood FC site, and also randomly checked Geelong and GWS sites for a further sample. The Pies have 7 players of 80kg or less (and 3 more at 81 kgs). Geelong have 8 at 80kgs or less, GEW have 6. Based on this sample there is somewhere between 120-130 AFL players 80kgs or less.

I don't remotely know enough about RL to comment on the role of small players (e.g. I've never heard of Bevan French mentioned in this thread), but I do distinctly remember some years back (prior to the big family bust-up) when Kieren and Brandon Jack's father (who was a RL great by all accounts) was interviewed on TV about his sons choosing Australian Football over rugby and he saying that there small sizes/weight was a big factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This question made me sufficiently curious foe me to check it out on the Collingwood FC site, and also randomly checked Geelong and GWS sites for a further sample. The Pies have 7 players of 80kg or less (and 3 more at 81 kgs). Geelong have 8 at 80kgs or less, GEW have 6. Based on this sample there is somewhere between 120-130 AFL players 80kgs or less.

I don't remotely know enough about RL to comment on the role of small players (e.g. I've never heard of Bevan French mentioned in this thread), but I do distinctly remember some years back (prior to the big family bust-up) when Kieren and Brandon Jack's father (who was a RL great by all accounts) was interviewed on TV about his sons choosing Australian Football over rugby and he saying that there small sizes/weight was a big factor.

Apparently, according to those in the know on here small men are as plentiful as ever and are widespread as much as ever in the sport of RL, of course that goes against what the NRL is trying to do with interchange rules as well as comments from Peter Sterling, Gould, and the Jacks father etc.

The small men quoted by one particular poster are all around 90 kilos, which is a fair way different to the small men of generations ago.

But anyways .....

You are soccer lover and forever forlornly promoting the soccer on an AFL forum can you tell me why when there was NO RL on in Sydney last weekend the soccer GF was not played at ANZ cap 83,000?
Because unlike other sports in Oz the GF is held at the home ground of the highest place getter (as long as it is large enough).

FFA would only over rule it if the GF was a derby.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

You are soccer lover and forever forlornly promoting the soccer on an AFL forum can you tell me why when there was NO RL on in Sydney last weekend the soccer GF was not played at ANZ cap 83,000?
Because Sydney FC was asked which stadium would they prefer as they won the right to host the final. Sydney Football Stadium was the choice. The home ground of Sydney FC. Pretty simple to understand isn't it?

They haven't lost a match there compared to ANZ where they played 3 games. A loss, a draw and a win. Melbourne Victory have played 2 games at ANZ for a draw and a win. It becomes a neutral venue, eliminating the home ground advantage.

SFS has now hosted 4 finals in the past. Attendance isn't everything which you seem to be obsessed with.

Just like I cringe when I see any touring Soccer team from overseas kicking a Sherrin wearing the colours of an AFL team for the Melbourne media. Swings and roundabouts.

Not as bad as sydney polis grabbing a sherrin when they become pm (looking at you keating and trunbull)

On who's behalf do you cringe? Who is getting exposure from that transaction? Why do you think Timmy Cahill sported a dogs scarf through September last year? Do you think it the dogs put it on him to promote their finals tilt? Or do you think it was the FFA / Melbourne City trying to raise the profile of the upcoming A League season?

Marketing is a cringeworthy endeavour, generally - people donning AFL jumpers and kicking sherrins to promote things into AFL heartlands is no different.

There is no comparison to the sad, cringe-worthy, inferiority complex of australian soccer though. Why are they so obsessed with the Port china match?

Because Sydney FC was asked which stadium would they prefer as they won the right to host the final. Sydney Football Stadium was the choice. The home ground of Sydney FC. Pretty simple to understand isn't it?

They haven't lost a match there compared to ANZ where they played 3 games. A loss, a draw and a win. Melbourne Victory have played 2 games at ANZ for a draw and a win. It becomes a neutral venue, eliminating the home ground advantage.

SFS has now hosted 4 finals in the past. Attendance isn't everything which you seem to be obsessed with.

But why the sad predictable squealing in the lead up about the state of the pitch? They had an alternative

Last edited:
Keating was the worst of all and a joke, but i do get a feeling that Turnbull actually has some interest in the game.

Turnbull's interest likely stems from the fact that a good part of his electorate are big swans fans. I think he otherwise shares Keating's disinterest for sport

Yes its all a conspiracy.

Quite frankly, I took the two articles you posted - both of which deal with height as much as weight - and figured you'd have actually factored both in when discussing "small" players. Since height is more or less part of what fulfills that definition of "small"

lol taken offence. People can disagree with your position, you know.

Moderators on bigfooty arent honour bound to defend your posts if they disagree with their premise. I should also point out that Auckmel, while a moderator, is not a moderator of this board. And not everyone who disagrees with your position is a troll.

How many of those are rookies or players fresh out of the under 18s? It needs to also be said that the NRL has operated an under 20 competition since 2008 (and being replaced with state based u20s) for some time - meaning a lot of players start in the actual NRL with a more mature body to begin with than the AFL chaps taken straight out of high school. (Up until 1998 the NSWRL ran an under 19 competition.)

Keating was the worst of all and a joke, but i do get a feeling that Turnbull actually has some interest in the game.

Sure he does. In so far as nice photo opportunities and good media goes, sport represents one of the few areas he can do things without much in the way of politics. We havent had a genuine Australian football loving PM since Gillard, and before that, probably Bob Hawke.

... How many of those are rookies or players fresh out of the under 18s? ...
1) No rookies whatsoever included (their profiles are listed separately on the club websites), only senior listed players included.
2) For Collingwood, only 2 out of the 10 mentioned were new recruits (Brown & Daicos). The remaining 8 have all played/play in the senior team and all made their debuts prior to this season.

To sum up, from the AFL player profiles on the club websites, #80kg senior regular players are not uncommon or unusual in the AFL. As previously stated, I don't know near enough about RL to comment on their sizes/weights.

Anyway, if the size of players isn't any sort problem in RL participation rates falling, as ringleader and co are strongly stating here, and lightweight little blokes have no problems playing RL at any level of the game (despite what Jacks father amongst others have said), then what is the problem causing the decline in participation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back