Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You certainly misconstrue everything, are you suggesting that smaller/smallish players are as accepted as they once were ?.

I grew up in Canberra, i have seen RL before and from my memory there were plenty of small players in RL, Sterling, Mortimer brothers, Toovey and the little bloke from QLD SOO Alfie smurf or whatever his name was.

Even if you dont watch the game intently, a general sports fan will hear news reports, general conversations regarding players and the game etc.

You probably wouldn't understand what a general sports fan was ?.

I would have thought it is accepted common knowledge that there are less little men in the game than previously.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...26501fa22?sv=10960a7f5401d5c1678c22dc36be32cb

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/12/08/can-save-little-man-rugby-league-extinction/

Its always been said that a good big man will always beat a good little man. I guess its like the other old saying, as the game goes on little guys slow down, big guys dont get any shorter!!

You certainly misconstrue everything, are you suggesting that smaller/smallish players are as accepted as they once were ?.

I grew up in Canberra, i have seen RL before and from my memory there were plenty of small players in RL, Sterling, Mortimer brothers, Toovey and the little bloke from QLD SOO Alfie smurf or whatever his name was.

Even if you dont watch the game intently, a general sports fan will hear news reports, general conversations regarding players and the game etc.

You probably wouldn't understand what a general sports fan was ?.

I would have thought it is accepted common knowledge that there are less little men in the game than previously.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...26501fa22?sv=10960a7f5401d5c1678c22dc36be32cb

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/12/08/can-save-little-man-rugby-league-extinction/

You avoided my question.

Please tell me how Bevan French, who is one of the most exciting players to watch, isn't accepted?

You avoided my question.

Please tell me how Bevan French, who is one of the most exciting players to watch, isn't accepted?

Cronk, Slater, RTS, Luke, Johnson, Smith, Reynolds x2, Evans, Foran, Thurston, Hunt, Tolman, Maloney, Taylor, Cleary, Widdop and Wallace. Just a handful of names of the most dominant players in their side almost entirely small guys.

Despite its physical nature Rugby league remains a game where small guys can survive and for the most part are the key players in their team and quite frankly only someone who watches the game would actually know this.

Cronk, Slater, RTS, Luke, Johnson, Smith, Reynolds x2, Evans, Foran, Thurston, Hunt, Tolman, Maloney, Taylor, Cleary, Widdop and Wallace. Just a handful of names of the most dominant players in their side almost entirely small guys.

Despite its physical nature Rugby league remains a game where small guys can survive and for the most part are the key players in their team and quite frankly only someone who watches the game would actually know this.

Just exactly how much do you think these guys weigh ? LOL

There is an old, but very true saying, "Scared parents create scared children".

Your post is prescient. It helps explain why the NRL believes AF is its main, long term threat in WS -even though soccer probably has c.150,000+ regd. M & F players in GWS; AF c.8,000 in Club, Auskick, & school -but doubled in the last few years.

The 15% decline (part of a long term trend) in jnr. RL regd. contact nos. in 1 year in 2017, in its RL GWS heartland, places the NRL in a perilous position.
We shall discover soon if the NRL Commission is really "the keeper of the RL code"; & is able to spend the $100,000,000 it wants on GR to protect its GR heartland -or "rolls over"to the demands for "excessive "grants to the NRL players & Clubs.
The NRL's challenges are amplified by a range of off-field legal/cultural/perception issues.
And on-field issues of declining NRL crowds; that many of its fans, apparently, don't like the "monotony"of the "5 tackle, then kick" dominant game style; & loss of the little blokes, with great flair.

AF only competes, primarily, with RL & RU for athletic, body-contact, courageous players. These players all know they will often be hurt.
Soccer, which has soccer mums & kids fearful of body contact burdens, competes for players with basketball, tennis, touch rugby, netball (girls), computer games etc.
Like you, when I have looked at jnrs. playing soccer (or known some personally, & their general lack of athleticism, & lack of proclivities for "risk taking/grunt/courage"), I don't believe many would be suited to the rigours of AF.

Aust. is currently rated at c.52 in World Cup rankings (& declining), has a pop. of c.24,000,000, & claims c. 1,100,000 regd. male players (but much double counting, since soccer is played in virtually every school in Aust. -and many also play week end club soccer/ indoor futsal). Our jnr. soccer teams international performance in recent years has been very poor, & is also deteriorating.

Wales pop.c.3,000,000, Iceland pop. c.350,000 & Uruguay pop.c. 3,500,000 are rated 8, 21 & 15 respectively in World Cup ratings. In Wales, RU is probably the most popular sport!
There is a reason for Aust.'s deploreable ranking.

Furthermore, re the kindred sport of RU, apart from ex Wallabies Papworth, Poidevin, Fitzsimmons, Dwyer (who has called on all ARU execs. to resign) etc, others are also highlighting the current crisis in contact RU's regd. nos., decline in playing standards, Super Rugby crowds/ratings/team abolition, & the ARU's dire financial situation. RU is in FAR more difficulty than RL (which has a luxury $1.8 billion TV rights war chest, & very high TV ratings).

Mark Ella, Aust. RU legend & RU WC winning Wallaby, has told the Daily Telegraph on 5.5 that "to save RU from the abyss" in Australia, there must be an urgent joint meeting of the ARU, state bodies, Super teams, & GR organisations. In good faith negotiations, common cause must be found & implemented to protect RU from its unprecedented calamitous situation.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/859a0201bd8581e044e84bb7c466b369

(To overcome DT Paywall, go into Incognito; then click on Google; then input " rugby greats call for crisis summit as code lurches into the abyss")

You know I reckon if Ronaldo had grown up playing Aussie Rules I reckon he'd be a decent midfielder in the AFL.

Ha ha, how about you tell me their weight and stop avoiding the question.

So I'll ask you once again, are you denying the players I named are small in stature?

Ha ha, how about you tell me their weight and stop avoiding the question.

Most playmakers, 1,6,7 would be in the 75 - 85 kg range, probably not much more than that.

9/ would be a little larger having to play in the middle of the ground.

Brett Hodgson would of weighed about 7kg dripping wet.

But they are professional athletes who do a lot of weight work, You'd consider an 80 kg centre to be about right, but light for the 2nd row.

Similarly a 100kg winger would be devastating but probably on the heavy side for most wingers.

So I'll ask you once again, are you denying the players I named are small in stature?

What a joke, answer the question or alternatively i can answer it for you, it is obviously to hard, so you continue to play silly word games.

Small in stature .. LOL

Cronk 88kg
Smith 90 kg
Slater 89 kg

Tiny little guys aren't they ?.

BTW Steve Mortimer 78 kg.

What a joke, answer the question or alternatively i can answer it for you, it is obviously to hard, so you continue to play silly word games.

Small in stature .. LOL

Cronk 88kg
Smith 90 kg
Slater 89 kg

Tiny little guys aren't they ?.

BTW Steve Mortimer 78 kg.

Matt Utai was 168cm and 100kg + winger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know I reckon if Ronaldo had grown up playing Aussie Rules I reckon he'd be a decent midfielder in the AFL.
he is very quick(roughly a bit over an 11 sec 100m sprint) with a great leap. he would have been a star at any football sport he chose.

hasnt the AFL grown a lot bigger in the last 10-15 years. heck, 5 years ago, massive midfielders and pure athletes were the key things for a draftee. that doesnt stop Eddie Betts(and others) from starring. Players in every sport have different roles and each role requires different abilities. Rugby league is not all about strength or physical presence. Some roles require quick feet for example.

Nobody is arguing about the weights, just what constitutes a small guy and every player I named is (IMO) small and is a key player in their side.

That's just rubbish, a cop out and a absolute weak play on words.

Its the weights that has been the issue, can you even follow the thread.

But i am not surprised that at every opportunity you seek to twist my posts.

I love how this thread is now dedicated to arguing about RL players' weights. :rolleyes:

yeah. simply marvellous isnt it.

It great isn't it, apparently my view that little guys are not prevalent in the game of RL as they once were is pursued at every turn by a known troll and backed up by mods who for whatever reason don't like my posts.

"at every turn". right.

Little guys who are relatively short but put on muscle to play professional league arent as rare on the ground as you think. The fact that you seem to think 88-90kg is big for a league player is laughable. There also seems to be a significant number of players recently who come in under 5 foot 10.

That's just rubbish, a cop out and a absolute weak play on words.

Its the weights that has been the issue, can you even follow the thread.

But i am not surprised that at every opportunity you seek to twist my posts.

I think you guys are argueing different points and are both right. Clearly particularly the 6s and 7s tend to be short still but they all need to be power athletes now.

I think what garlic muncher is getting at, is the slightly built kid but super skilful kid who might otherwise be the next cc or jt, is he the type going, fugg it, might go and play "afl" instead?

I hope so

Last edited:

"at every turn". right.

Little guys who are relatively short but put on muscle to play professional league arent as rare on the ground as you think. The fact that you seem to think 88-90kg is big for a league player is laughable. There also seems to be a significant number of players recently who come in under 5 foot 10.

Maybe you cant follow either, this is about weight not height.

88-90 kilos now is the 78 kilo player when Steve Mortimer was playing, that was my point.

My point was that players such as Mortimer are a rarity now.

It is not exactly mind blowing.

Yep. This thread constantly targets one group of players size in particular.

Small guys who play RL and RU need to put on weight/muscle to compete, hell my just turned 20 year old son needed to do the same thing to compete with grown men in the RDFL. Just because they put on weight and muscle doesn't suddenly mean they aren't still small men.

And maybe you cant read, but my post addressed both weight AND height. BOTH articles you linked discuss height.

I can read just fine thanks, this thread or the relevant part of it has been about weight.

I will just say that again - weight

Weight
and the difference between when Steve mortimer and other guys played and now.

Would guys like Sterling, Mortimer etc have got a game now in the NRL under 80 kilos.

That was my point.

Comprende ?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...i/news-story/3074f22bf37dc1ef71884689dd23662a

Jiangsu Suning boss Choi Yong-soo and midfielder Xiaobin Zhang looked perplexed when asked if they would follow the first AFL clash for points in China at the weekend.

Port Adelaide hosting the Gold Coast Suns in Shanghai didn’t register a mention from Jiangsu’s duo with the club’s media officer asking if the game being played was in fact rugby.

The clash is a sellout at Shanghai’s Jiangwan Stadium, attracting 10,000 fans on Sunday.

“They play (AFL) in Shanghai?’’ said Jiangsu’s media officer.

“Australian football? You mean rugby?”

Choi and Zhang are in Adelaide preparing for the AFC Champions League clash against Adelaide United at Hindmarsh on Tuesday night with the match to be televised live to TV audiences in China, Thailand, Cambodia, the Middle East, South East Asia on the Fox network, Uzbekistan, India and Australia on Fox Sports.

China’s PPTV will broadcast the Reds and Jiangsu match to a live audience.

The company is the largest online TV service in China with more than 260 million users.

The Port Adelaide and Suns clash will not be shown on live TV in China after reports last year suggested China’s CCTV was going to beam the match to a new audience as it happened.

I can read just fine thanks, this thread or the relevant part of it has been about weight.

I will just say that again - weight

Weight
and the difference between when Steve mortimer and other guys played and now.

Would guys like Sterling, Mortimer etc have got a game now in the NRL under 80 kilos.

That was my point.

Comprende ?

If your going to be light, you need talent to go with it. No question Mortimer would get a game if his talent and fitness were up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back