List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those in the know, could you tell me has players like CEY and Hartigan taken or potential could take the next step in being competent players in our 22?

Not that I am in the know, but I think Hartigan would be OK.

He did OK in the AFL games he played before he got dropped.

He was then playing well in the Sanfl and mostly winning his position last year before getting injured, and should have been given more AFL opportunities considering where we are now.

I think he will develop to become a solid backman, but only time and experience will tell if he is better than that.

As for CEY, don't really know, but he seems to be rated pretty well at Sanfl level.

We've kept everything else quiet, why not trades?

Trades are a two way street and some clubs like to play out their business in the media, that's the biggest obstacle. But, if we were dealing with a club that also liked to operate "Black Ops" style, then anything is possible

So if GWS wants players for picks...... surely we can get in on it.

So if GWS wants players for picks...... surely we can get in on it.
tumblr_inline_mgnhdqFAjC1qih9gi.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What players (with value) are realistic options to trade out?

Lyons name seems to be the only one coming up.

With the hard ball approach by the Pies towards the Lions regarding Beams, should our Club have done the same with Gunston years ago?

Should we do the same in the future and risk losing a player for nothing?

It's an interesting one. As much as I would have loved to have kept Gunston and I thought at the time we got screwed in the trade, we actually ended up doing quite well with the picks we got for him. Ultimately, using the few picks we got for him (24, 46 and 64), we traded for other picks which ultimately landed us Kerridge, Jenkins and Grigg. Pretty handy pickups really and all three guys should be playing for us for close to the next decade.

So I think it's hard to make an argument for letting a guy walk for nothing.

CEY was drafted in 2011 and has played 1 game of AFL footy. Says a lot.
Rutten played 2 games in 3 years..... I don't think it says "a lot". Player could have been mismanaged, injured, etc.

CEY was always a project player and needed refining. Unfortunately for him, his kick really isn't that good. At SANFL creates clearances, intercept marks and some special moments but it's his kick that really lets him down.

Rutten played 2 games in 3 years..... I don't think it says "a lot". Player could have been mismanaged, injured, etc.

CEY was always a project player and needed refining. Unfortunately for him, his kick really isn't that good. At SANFL creates clearances, intercept marks and some special moments but it's his kick that really lets him down.
Can kick a long ball will give him that. But zero finesse anything under about 50m.

In my opinion he needs to be played. He's nto the best kick going around, but he has great size, good speed, and knows how to find the ball. He was under utilised under Sanderson (did Sando even know he was on our list?) and I reckon needs a little confidence shown in him.

Its going to be interesting to see how Walsh rates some of our players, including CEY. He clearly doesnt have time for honest triers (Petrenko) which I reckon is a very good thing. I think next season we'll see some big changes in our list, after 12 months of Phil.

Love this thread. All the anger the club hasn't got anyone, then all the anger when they hear who we are targeting because they are spuds!

Not often you trade in stars, the best trades are generally when you get someone who hasn't shown a lot and comes good like the Sydney trades, e.g Ted Richards and Josh Kennedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back