Its ALF

in summary:

1st round downgraded 4 spots (10-14)
2nd round downgraded 4 spots (31-35)
3rd round upgraded 7 spots (50-43)
4th round upgraded 9 spots (68-59)
added Cheney
added Lowden

This is exactly how it needs to be looked at. The individual trades seem strange and confusing, but when you look at it as a whole its not too bad.

Ultimately, we obviously believe the player we wanted with pick 10 will still be there at pick 14. Its a bit of a gamble, but not unprecedented. West Coast did it last year to pick up Dom Sheed.

I believe the player we are looking at with that first pick is Hugh Goddard. We've been keen for a few years, but lost interest when it seemed at the start of the year he would be a likely top 5 pick. During the year he has slipped down the order and our interest was reignited. He had been told "if you are there at our pick, we'll take you." This was probably about 6-8 weeks ago, but the movement of the trade period suggests to me that he is still our #1 target.

I like it Cheney will play and be good while Lowden has ability and gives us a backup ruck.

Downgrade of 31 but upgrading the later picks nice move.

couldn't agree more

FWIW I believe Cheney is a good value pick up on his own....... Won the 2013 Box Hill B&F, played well at AFL level when opportunities presented itself especially considering that many of his games he was played out of position as a KPD opposed to a mid-size defender.

On Lowden his ruckwork is actually pretty good and he can kick a goal up forward he just needed time to learn the game.... He is certainly an upgrade on Graham and he cost us nothing

So to simplify it

10 becomes 14
31 becomes 35
50 becomes 43
68 becomes 59

Plus Lowden and Cheney

Bout even I think.

We must be confident our preferred 10 will be around at 14

Happy with that, filled a couple of needs (backup ruck and defender) for nothing really. Happy with that. Still more needs to be filled but that will come hopefully.

loving the melts here. it's delicious..

you're with us or **** off as far as i'm concerned..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok Ive had time to make up a story re Cheney.

Walsh came in, looked at our defence and said " so who's your Jonas?" (188cm) and we said "don't really have one" - so he said " get me a Jonas"

Then we got Cheney (187cm)

That's my story and its the only way I get to sleep

Spot on! I almost posted on here this morning if anybody had seen enough of Jake Kelly to offer opinions as to whether he could turn into a Jonas type. He was awesome for the pear this season.

Two sanfl players and we drop 4 spots with our 1st rounder and 2nd rounder. Yep I see your point in AFC terms, successful outcome.
There is every chance we will pick the same players at 14 and 35 as we would have at 10 and 31. Those aren't big drops in a draft that is supposed to be pretty even within the first two rounds (besides the top 5).
We will never truly know, but it's highly possible we have just picked up two depth players (in positions we seriously needed to address) and some late pick upgrades for what might amount to zilch.

Don't mind Cheney he had some tough jobs this year against bigger opponents & done ok, seems committed & focused.
Agree. I reckon he's ready-made for the 1's. Ranked 11th in the league for one-percenters per game. Not someone who opposition forwards are going to relish seeing come to them before the bounce IMO.

Will be interesting to see what roles the crows see him performing.

So those last couple on the buzzer saw the grand total of trades for the year reach the dizzying heights of 19.
Time to drop it back to a week I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back