2nds AFC 2021 SANFL Thread - We're baaaaaaaack (in the SANFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for those who were at the game...

I've read comments that Jones was our only AFL-listed midfielder, and was frequently caught Holding the Ball. Was this due to a lack of situational awareness, or simply a matter of him trying to do too much (because he felt that he needed to do everything given the lack of other AFL players around him)?

Not a rhetorical question.
mainly lack of awareness. He does not appear to have peripheral vision that he is about to get tackled. He does not put on the after burners or have the ability to evade by sidestepping or changing directions quickly he also looks to be too bulky to me around the arse. Neds to really work on his acceleration. Some people just lose it eg kane Lucas. At an earlier age than others. I hope I am wrong

Last edited:
I've read comments that Jones was our only AFL-listed midfielder, and was frequently caught Holding the Ball. Was this due to a lack of situational awareness, or simply a matter of him trying to do too much (because he felt that he needed to do everything given the lack of other AFL players around him)?
Chase tried to do a Dangerflog and burst through the clearances. Unfortunately the big bodies of the Eagles often stopped him in his tracks. He still did some good things considering he was surrounded by top ups in the first half.

Fog’s two goals were both classic JJ/Joe the Goose goals. I can’t recall him taking a contested mark.

I agree with bigman that like it or not, Mackay was the best of our AFL listed players (Matty Wright and Daniel Jackson were also in good nick 🙄).

Worrell would be an interesting selections against Sydney. Looks exciting but makes mistakes. To be fair, he hasn’t played a genuine match against men, only a handful of trial/mickey mouse matches since we drafted him.

I can’t erase from my mind, McAsey bursting the pack, leaping high to mark the ball....and the ball rebounding back to the centre square off his chest.

If Hinge, Brown and Kelly are not available against Sydney then we have one medium/small defender available. The alternative is to play Worrell on a small or move Seedsman or Scholl (please don’t do this) into defence. Once we retained Bran Nue Mackae on the list we all knew that our medium/small defenders and wingmen would get a heap of injuries.

Last edited:

Chase tried to do a Dangerflog and burst through the clearances. Unfortunately the big bodies of the Eagles often stopped him in his tracks. He still did some good things considering he was surrounded by top ups in the first half.
This is the kind of response I was looking for. Thanks for the informative and thoughtful reply.

Fog’s two goals were both classic JJ/Joe the Goose goals. I can’t recall him taking a contested mark.

I agree with bigman that like it or not, Mackay was the best of our AFL listed players (Matty Wright and Daniel Jackson were also in good nick 🙄).

Worrell would be an interesting selections against Sydney. Looks exciting but makes mistakes. To be fair, he hasn’t played a genuine match against men, only a handful of trial/mickey mouse matches since we drafted him.

I can’t erase from my mind, McAsey bursting the pack, leaping high to mark the ball....and the ball rebounding back to the centre square off his chest.

If Hinge, Brown and Kelly are not available against Sydney then we have one medium/small defender available. The alternative is to play Worrell on a small or move Seedsman or Scholl (please don’t do this) into defence. Once we retained Bran Nue Mackae on the list we all knew that our medium/small defenders and wingmen would get a heap of injuries.
Jack what did you think of number 30. I thought he was our best. Great user of the ball. Quite quick but not express and makes good decisions. Latchford is his name I think. Has impressed a few times now but this was his best performance

I actually thought worrell was one of our best. Looked more composed than others and learnt from his mistake of playing Menzel in front

thought Mackay was one of our best

latchford number 30 is a much better player and better user of the ball than
Many of our senior players. I would seriously look at him for mid season draft.

our top ups are ok this year we just need our senior players to stand up more. Most of them stunk it up in first half and our play was awful. Much better second half. More run and gun Thilthorpe borlase worrell new church etc all played much better

Jones has no awareness in traffic and fumbles too much for a player of hissupposed class.

thilthorpe when placed on the wing impressed.

Lots of mids out.

key take latchford is a player. Kicks well has some pace and makes good decisions under pressure

Mackay will play next week based on his form today
Latchford is a medium defender isn't he, least that's where I'd pigeon hole him on what I've seen. Only managed 3 games with Sturt in the SANFL last year.

We seem to be well covered for those types unless you think he has utility capabilities?

Latchford is a medium defender isn't he, least that's where I'd pigeon hole him on what I've seen. Only managed 3 games with Sturt in the SANFL last year.

We seem to be well covered for those types unless you think he has utility capabilities?
Not him then as he played on the wing and reminded me of a Swans Player who played on the wing in the 1980’s and who played for victoria David Murphy

Not him then as he played on the wing and reminded me of a Swans Player who played on the wing in the 1980’s and who played for victoria David Murphy
I think that's him he's played some wing for the Crows 2's as well along with defence?

Originally Prince Alfred Old Collegians in 2019 in the Ammos and Sturt in 2020 after the Crows SANFL team were dropped from the SANFL during Covid..

Crow till I die is a Sturt diehard so he might know where he played for them last year?

I think that's him he's played some wing for the Crows 2's as well along with defence?

Originally Prince Alfred Old Collegians in 2019 in the Ammos and Sturt in 2020 after the Crows SANFL team were dropped from the SANFL during Covid..

Crow till I die is a Sturt diehard so he might know where he played for them last year?
Half back for the ressies mostly, bit through the midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't think we'd be allowed to pick up SANFL players from other clubs.
I covered that in an earlier post...he was only picked up by Sturt after our SANFL team was closed down for the year by Covid.

He was an Adelaide Development Squad member to all intents and purposes, obviously given the all clear by the SANFL to play for Sturt due to the extraordinary conditions.

I'm not so sure about that.
The games that I went to in Qld - which was maybe four or five - involved him playing some or all of the game on the wing.

Thanks for the info bicks

He has really improved this year in the games I have seen him play

Jack what did you think of number 30. I thought he was our best. Great user of the ball. Quite quick but not express and makes good decisions. Latchford is his name I think. Has impressed a few times now but this was his best performance
My mate and I made the same comment. His skills looked better than many of our AFL listed players and he has good pace. I didn’t realise it was Latchford but I haven’t seen the top ups since 2019 other than the trial against the Pear Twos.

Question for those who were at the game...

Not a rhetorical question.

we were getting hammered most of the day they made sure to smash to jones every chance they had he certainly wasnt holding the ball to long waiting for options or trying to do to much it was more took the ball in the contest then got smashed and failed to get away a hand ball or drop the footy it was tough going in the midfield having said when he got clear of traffic his foot skills were back to a high level with the extra time at sanfl level he was trying to be a leader out there organizing others trying to pull players into positions sometimes he would be so focused on this he would miss the opportunity to impact play like fish he to will benefit from some footy at this level particularly when we have some more midfielders back like berry and pedlar to help him

The award for longest sentence on big footy goes to.... Good answer but
we were getting hammered most of the day they made sure to smash to jones every chance they had he certainly wasnt holding the ball to long waiting for options or trying to do to much it was more took the ball in the contest then got smashed and failed to get away a hand ball or drop the footy it was tough going in the midfield having said when he got clear of traffic his foot skills were back to a high level with the extra time at sanfl level he was trying to be a leader out there organizing others trying to pull players into positions sometimes he would be so focused on this he would miss the opportunity to impact play like fish he to will benefit from some footy at this level particularly when we have some more midfielders back like berry and pedlar to help him

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The games that I went to in Qld - which was maybe four or five - involved him playing some or all of the game on the wing.
The games that I went to in SA which may have been nine or ten involved him playing time in the midfield.
If you're correct and he played on the wing then I hope that trend continues this year.

Thanks for this. Excellent analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back