2nds AFC 2021 SANFL Thread - We're baaaaaaaack (in the SANFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

One of fogs goals was a soccer in the goal square doesn't see his other goal he played 1st half foward and i thought was the worst of 3 tall fowards not that ball went down there that often or the other two were all that great but he had impact in the 2nd half on the ball got 3 clearances from free kicks 1 a paid holding the ball and the other 2 was him being held as the eagles player struggled with his bulk in there

I thought Worrell struggled a bit today playing most of the day on Daniel Menzel down back in a side under siege much of the game lots of nearly moment's where he can off and tried to intercept but couldn't quite stick the mark has awsome closing speed and ran passed menzel on the lead to be first to footy on a few occasions plenty to work with borlase was solid taking the deepest foward i think his fitness is a bit off at this stage which is to be expected fish was prolly the pick of the tall defenders was very shakey early much like in the afl games but he settled and improved as the day went on taking a few nice intercepts and was tidy by foot I think he will benefit a lot from getting a run at this level this year

I thought Worrell struggled a bit today playing most of the day on Daniel Menzel down back in a side under siege much of the game lots of nearly moment's where he can off and tried to intercept but couldn't quite stick the mark has awsome closing speed and ran passed menzel on the lead to be first to footy on a few occasions plenty to work with borlase was solid taking the deepest foward i think his fitness is a bit off at this stage which is to be expected fish was prolly the pick of the tall defenders was very shakey early much like in the afl games but he settled and improved as the day went on taking a few nice intercepts and was tidy by foot I think he will benefit a lot from getting a run at this level this year
I actually thought worrell was one of our best. Looked more composed than others and learnt from his mistake of playing Menzel in front

thought Mackay was one of our best

latchford number 30 is a much better player and better user of the ball than
Many of our senior players. I would seriously look at him for mid season draft.

our top ups are ok this year we just need our senior players to stand up more. Most of them stunk it up in first half and our play was awful. Much better second half. More run and gun Thilthorpe borlase worrell new church etc all played much better

Jones has no awareness in traffic and fumbles too much for a player of hissupposed class.

thilthorpe when placed on the wing impressed.

Lots of mids out.

key take latchford is a player. Kicks well has some pace and makes good decisions under pressure

Mackay will play next week based on his form today

I actually thought worrell was one of our best. Looked more composed than others and learnt from his mistake of playing Menzel in front

thought Mackay was one of our best

latchford number 30 is a much better player and better user of the ball than
Many of our senior players. I would seriously look at him for mid season draft.

our top ups are ok this year we just need our senior players to stand up more. Most of them stunk it up in first half and our play was awful. Much better second half. More run and gun Thilthorpe borlase worrell new church etc all played much better

Jones has no awareness in traffic and fumbles too much for a player of hissupposed class.

thilthorpe when placed on the wing impressed.

Lots of mids out.

key take latchford is a player. Kicks well has some pace and makes good decisions under pressure

Mackay will play next week based on his form today
Thilthorpe will be a bunny type of player when his body is up to speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for those who were at the game...

I've read comments that Jones was our only AFL-listed midfielder, and was frequently caught Holding the Ball. Was this due to a lack of situational awareness, or simply a matter of him trying to do too much (because he felt that he needed to do everything given the lack of other AFL players around him)?

Not a rhetorical question.

I've read comments that Jones was our only AFL-listed midfielder, and was frequently caught Holding the Ball. Was this due to a lack of situational awareness, or simply a matter of him trying to do too much (because he felt that he needed to do everything given the lack of other AFL players around him)?

Certain posters would have you believe that his situation awareness has been trained out of him!

Has only shown glimpses of AFL quality so far, and i don't hold out much hope he'll make the transition.

We've got him contracted until end of 2023, so hopefully a miracle happens soon and he pulls his finger out

Friend was at the game, nice touch when Jones finally got a clearance and was rundown and caught by some unknown who had 40+ possessions and a goal. Knight I think his name was. Pity the ball doesn't know that Jones was a top ten pick.

I’m not sure that will help, he just doesn’t know where to run to get the footy, whether that’s coaching or instinct I’m not sure.
The SANFL is the best place to build confidence and try different players in different positions.
The recruiters saw something in Jones.
If as you say he doesn't know where to run to get the footy then let others get the ball for him. Jones becomes the link man who runs to space and out works his opponent.
He'll need to be more than that but if Jones can work both ways and become a goal kicking threat by drifting down into the forward line he could become a good contributor.
The Port trial game showed the value of separation from your opponent.
The Port players only needed to get a few steps in front of our blokes and that was enough to become a viable target to the kicker.
Jones has good pace which should give him the separation and the space on the wings to work in.
Jones needs a couple of stellar performances to boast his confidence. Give him a chance to run hard and be on the receiving end of switches and clearances, the rest will hopefully evolve.
I know many say he was a top midfielder as a junior but right now that form is not present.
When something isn't working try a different approach.
We moved Laird from defense into the midfield to generate more clearances, a move that seems to have worked.
Lets give Jones an opportunity to use his strongest asset his pace by a switch to the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back