Opinion AFC - Whipping Boy Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the game in 94 where hawthorn spanked us by 100 in the wet and Warrior tried bouncing the ball, the water splashed higher.

Boy did he deserve a cat of nine tails.

Don't you mean Shane Tongerie as I'm sure Eugene Warrior never played an AFL game.

whats the definition of whipping by here though? some of the players mentioned so far are just out and out spuds.

surely you have to actually have some decent footballing attributes, but are "in some eyes" unfairly critiqued to be a whipping boy. ie. someone must rate you to be eligible for whipping boy status.

the makes Smith, Gilligan, Warrior, Douglas, Schuback and Wigney spuds, not whipping boys.

Technically you are correct.

And yes, Smith was a spud of the highest order.

It's just that the club took 5 years to see that.

By god, he deserved a whipping. :)

Was Warrior from Gawler? Or was he from centrals? Have vague memories of him when I was a kid but not because of the crows.
Port Magpies but ended up playing for Norwood and almost single handedly won the 1999 GF of his own boot.

I also don't ever recall Scott Hodges being a whipping boy either, he was well supported in the early days.

He was given a lot of chances in 91 and 92 to reproduce the form he exhibited in the SANFL but very rarely did. We all wanted it to happen, but it didn't, and for that reason he was frustrating to watch at AFL level.

Port fans, typically, never want to discuss his AFL career.

He was given a lot of chances in 91 and 92 to reproduce the form he exhibited in the SANFL but very rarely did. We all wanted it to happen, but it didn't, and for that reason he was frustrating to watch at AFL level.

Port fans, typically, never want to discuss his AFL career.

Yeah, I agree with this. I also think, because of Modra, is failings were somewhat over looked and basically forgotten about as we had a new golden boy.

I remember a candid frank admission from Mr Hodges about his time at adelaide. Something about him being psychologicly comprimised at Adelaide due to his relationship with Port. He was married I believe to a high ranking officials daughter and had buisness interest/employment. Right at the time port were being alienated by alot of the SANFL community as a result of them being played by Ross Oakley.

I remember a candid frank admission from Mr Hodges about his time at adelaide. Something about him being psychologicly comprimised at Adelaide due to his relationship with Port. He was married I believe to a high ranking officials daughter and had buisness interest/employment. Right at the time port were being alienated by alot of the SANFL community as a result of them being played by Ross Oakley.

Yes, Julie Cahill, John Cahill daughter.

The business stuff come much latter as he was only 21/22 when the Crows started but his relationship with Port and the Cahill family did compromise his time at the Crows.

Married to Jack Cahills daughter I believe, would have made family barbecues interesting in the summer of 1990.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whats the definition of whipping by here though? some of the players mentioned so far are just out and out spuds.

surely you have to actually have some decent footballing attributes, but are "in some eyes" unfairly critiqued to be a whipping boy. ie. someone must rate you to be eligible for whipping boy status.

the makes Smith, Gilligan, Warrior, Douglas, Schuback and Wigney spuds, not whipping boys.
Yeah, Dougie is a spud, seriously this board sometimes. Has played over 100 games and is a B&F winner, how exactly is he a spud? I cannot believe he has been mentioned in a sentence with the rest of those spuds who played about 2 games between them. Whipping boy no doubt, but I'd love to see how you came to the conclusion he is a spud.

I agree, half of those players being mentioned were never whipping boys, just spuds.

Whipping boys are those players that the supporters take the losses out on and are the first blamed when things are going bad, Im not sure how guys that only played a handfull of games have gotten a mention.

That being said though Douglas needs to be taken out of your spud list, surely you must have made a mistake listing him amongst Wigny, Warrior etc :eek:

Douglas? WTF? Does not deserve to be on this list - or anywhere near it. Whipping Boy, definitely. Spud, definitely not.

Yeah, Dougie is a spud, seriously this board sometimes. Has played over 100 games and is a B&F winner, how exactly is he a spud? I cannot believe he has been mentioned in a sentence with the rest of those spuds who played about 2 games between them. Whipping boy no doubt, but I'd love to see how you came to the conclusion he is a spud.

That being said though Douglas needs to be taken out of your spud list, surely you must have made a mistake listing him amongst Wigny, Warrior etc :eek:

:D cant believe it took nearly a week for that to get a bite. i thought it was an obvious enough Dougie troll to not be taken seriously. he's my whipping boy, but even i'd have to accept he's not a spud.

then again, maybe the fact some weren't aware it was a joke puts him close to the spud category;)

I find the whole idea of a whippng boy pretty unsavoury. Generally the people doing the whipping struggle to hold a footy let alone make any meaningful contribution to the football community.
As a supporter i will not take the piss out of someone for something i neither had the ability, guts and the dedication that these lads had/have to play AFL & SANFL footy week in week out.
Just my little hobby horse sorry i will GTFO now and let you go

I find the whole idea of a whippng boy pretty unsavoury. Generally the people doing the whipping struggle to hold a footy let alone make any meaningful contribution to the football community.
As a supporter i will not take the piss out of someone for something i neither had the ability, guts and the dedication that these lads had/have to play AFL & SANFL footy week in week out.
Just my little hobby horse sorry i will GTFO now and let you go
You're right of course.

But people critique movies, books, tv shows, commentators, politicians... I'm sure they're all producing better stuff than what us Joe six-packs could.

Well... maybe with some exceptions

You're right of course.

But people critique movies, books, tv shows, commentators, politicians... I'm sure they're all producing better stuff than what us Joe six-packs could.

Well... maybe with some exceptions

Your right Carl but i suppose this one is pretty close to my heart. We are supposed to be supporters of the Adelaide Football Club. These boys work hard to get to our club and are a part of the fabric of our club that we support.

Your right Carl but i suppose this one is pretty close to my heart. We are supposed to be supporters of the Adelaide Football Club. These boys work hard to get to our club and are a part of the fabric of our club that we support.

actually yep. we are supporters of the AFC. the only players anyone should have a problem with are those that take it all for granted.

we, as supporters or members pay them to run around and kick a footy. that's a massive privelege that is very very rare.

as long as they are putting in an acceptable effort, i'm ok with that.

edit: i still think douglas has too many brain fades and falls over too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back