AFL 2014 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

You do know that they won the first one right? Then comfortably lost the next few by considerable margins. Do your research before commenting on other teams since you obviously do not have a clue.

Oh so you did lose against them? So what did I say incorrectly? and a few of the most recent ones have been decided by less then 2 goals. So what was your point again?

This is what he said:

The fact that you have 5 AA's, Brownlow medals, Coleman medals etc. do nothing to disprove what he said, and wouldn't you agree that your worst 6 or so players don't stack up to those of Freo, or Hawthorn, or Sydney, for example?
You missed my point. We DIDNT have them last year(they were just pretty good without being great), yet we finished 5th from the H & A which goes against him saying unless our stars are staring, we wont make the 8.

I had Richmond missing 8 this year, but I've changed my tune given their draw. they do have a good list but 90% of the quality is in the midfield. riewoldt is great but if he's the only focal point it's too easy for good teams to take him out. and I think defence is average at best. mick figured them out last year and they didn't have any answers for Carlton who probably aren't as talented, but are a more balanced team.
I don't agree our quality is all midfield. I think its the strongest area, but that doesn't mean we don't have quality elsewhere. I guess it simply comes down your opinion as to what that is. I don't think a defence is average, considering we had the 3rd lowest PA. When we do fail a little, its not the defenders that's the problem, its the mids who cant get their hands on the pills eg the EF. We got smashed in the middle and when you let the op just waltz around without any pressure, you just cant defend that. We have bolstered that area again in the off season.

Not that they have a bad list but when you put them up against the lists that are fighting to get into the 8 I.e WCE, Carlton, Essendon, Adelaide, GC, Roos, they don't look as good, and will fall lower by default
I agree that that is likely, but still, I don't see so many teams passing them for that reason that they fall all the way to 17th or 18th this year.

As for who has the better list out of Gold Coast and Brisbane, I would take Gold Coast's for the long term over most lists in the comp and definitely over Brisbane's and it wouldn't surprise me greatly if they overtook Brisbane this year, due mostly to their midfield and the "Ablett factor".

Their midfield could end up one of the best of all time (O'Meara, Bennell, Martin, Swallow, Prestia, Lonergan, McKenzie (if he plays there) and Ablett in the meantime, with Smith/Nicholls/Gorringe in the ruck has immense potential), their backline will be built around Rory Thompson, McKenzie, Harbrow and Kolodjashnij and perhaps either of Day or Lynch, if they don't make it forward and while their forward line has the most question marks over it, I really liked the signs from Dixon yesterday and I imagine at least one of Day and Lynch will make it there and then at ground level they could have Matera and I would be confident of Ablett kicking 50 goals per year there to finish off his career.

Lets also not forget that they have yet more concession/compo picks up their sleeve this year, with a pick immediately after Geelong's first rounder, to go with their own likely top 10 pick.

I agree that that is likely, but still, I don't see so many teams passing them for that reason that they fall all the way to 17th or 18th this year.

As for who has the better list out of Gold Coast and Brisbane, I would take Gold Coast's for the long term over most lists in the comp and definitely over Brisbane's and it wouldn't surprise me greatly if they overtook Brisbane this year, due mostly to their midfield and the "Ablett factor".

Their midfield could end up one of the best of all time (O'Meara, Bennell, Martin, Swallow, Prestia, Lonergan, McKenzie (if he plays there) and Ablett in the meantime, with Smith/Nicholls/Gorringe in the ruck has immense potential), their backline will be built around Rory Thompson, McKenzie, Harbrow and Kolodjashnij and perhaps either of Day or Lynch, if they don't make it forward and while their forward line has the most question marks over it, I really liked the signs from Dixon yesterday and I imagine at least one of Day and Lynch will make it there and then at ground level they could have Matera and I would be confident of Ablett kicking 50 goals per year there to finish off his career.

Lets also not forget that they have yet more concession/compo picks up their sleeve this year, with a pick immediately after Geelong's first rounder, to go with their own likely top 10 pick.

It's basically ****ed how much has been given to them and GWS

I'm not as optimistic for these expansion teams as some other posters. draft picks can only get you so far. the teams with the most first round picks apart from expansion teams is carlton, Richmond and melboure. while carlton and Richmond are finals contedners, I don't think anyone is expecting premiership anytime soon. and those were early draft picks in 04,05,06,07,08,09. and Richmond only just got into finals last year. look how long it takes to develop a contending list. it can't just be draft picks. it's about having the right coaches, right leadership group, right board, right culture. anyone who thinks gold coast will be in the finals within the next 3 for years is kidding themselves. Brisbane lions have just as many kids, but with a more established (not old) core. rich, rocky, redden, hanley, zorko ,mayes, leuenberger (of those the oldest is 25) and I can't see them getting in the finals in the next 3 years. I mean take ablett off gold coast and this isn't even a conversation.

So many sensitive fans on here. IT'S A PREDICTION THREAD, YOU MUPPETS!! You can't please everyone!

FWIW, I think Brisbane will finish last because they have a very ordinary looking forward line, a difficult draw and extremely weak depth (which we saw on display last week against my team). All it will take is a couple of injuries to key players, and they'll be in a world of pain.

So many sensitive fans on here. IT'S A PREDICTION THREAD, YOU MUPPETS!! You can't please everyone!

FWIW, I think Brisbane will finish last because they have a very ordinary looking forward line, a difficult draw and extremely weak depth (which we saw on display last week against my team). All it will take is a couple of injuries to key players, and they'll be in a world of pain.

Llyod is that you?

I'm looking forward to Round 1. This time around, we'll actually have senior players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My latest crack, apologies to all those outside the 8.

1 Hawthorn 16 6
2 Fremantle 16 6
3 Sydney 14 8
4 Richmond 14 8
5 Essendon 14 8
6 Collingwood 13 9
7 Geelong 13 9
8 Carlton 13 9
9 Adelaide 12 10
10 North Melbourne 11 11
11 West Coast 11 11
12 Port Adelaide 10 12
13 Gold Coast 9 13
14 Brisbane 9 13
15 Western 8 14
16 Melbourne 7 15
17 St Kilda 4 18
18 GWS 4 18

Do you think you're any kind of chance to beat the Hawks or just looking forward to putting in a better performance??
Personally due to it being R1 (teams are still a bit rusty and the Hawks have a few players out) we would be about about 10% chance in this game.

I think people are being a little over critical of the lions due to the departures and the big loss the other week. Even with a tough fixture I still believe that Brisbane should be competing with the log jam of teams in the 8-15 range

Personally due to it being R1 (teams are still a bit rusty and the Hawks have a few players out) we would be about about 10% chance in this game.

I think people are being a little over critical of the lions due to the departures and the big loss the other week. Even with a tough fixture I still believe that Brisbane should be competing with the log jam of teams in the 8-15 range
I think the Lions are between 18th and 'Rockcliffs' assessment.

I'm not as optimistic for these expansion teams as some other posters. draft picks can only get you so far. the teams with the most first round picks apart from expansion teams is carlton, Richmond and melboure. while carlton and Richmond are finals contedners, I don't think anyone is expecting premiership anytime soon. and those were early draft picks in 04,05,06,07,08,09. and Richmond only just got into finals last year. look how long it takes to develop a contending list. it can't just be draft picks. it's about having the right coaches, right leadership group, right board, right culture. anyone who thinks gold coast will be in the finals within the next 3 for years is kidding themselves. Brisbane lions have just as many kids, but with a more established (not old) core. rich, rocky, redden, hanley, zorko ,mayes, leuenberger (of those the oldest is 25) and I can't see them getting in the finals in the next 3 years. I mean take ablett off gold coast and this isn't even a conversation.
I think the difference between then and now is, the amount of $ in the footy dept's these days. back then, I know the tigers had very little to spend on the players and their development.

I will literally bet you ANYTHING that we will beat you in round 1. I haven't been more confident about a game since we played GWS in 2012 (the forgotten 162 point win).
So you'll give me $1000 if Brisbane win? :)

still waiting on that elite list...
I don't think Brisbane have anyone on an 'elite list'.

Rockliff, Hanley, Mayes, Rich and Leuenberger all have the potential to become elite (A+ Graders). None are there at this point in time though (Rockliff the closest).

Redden, Adcock, Golby, Zorko, Moloney, Green, Merrett and Staker are all capable B-Graders who can bat above their weight on certain weeks. I couldn't see the most biased of Brisbane fans referring to any of them as 'elite' any time soon.

The rest are either fairly average, washed up (Jonathan Brown in particular) or too young/raw. Players like Rohan Bewick and James Polkinghorne don't have the ability to play at AFL level, yet they're still on your list.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2014 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back