Autopsy AFL 2022 First Qualifying Final - Cats v Pies Sat Sept 3rd 4:35pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 52 21.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 32 13.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 89 36.8%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon that teams that defend well like Geelong, Sydney and Richmond are going to be effective at shutting down that Pie run that can be so dangerous. Freo defend well too but don't appear to be as dangerous offensively. I reckon the old hard arse coaches Longmire, Scott and Hardwick will have the solution to the Pie puzzle and unravel it accordingly. Time will tell I guess.
A good defence isn’t the biggest threat to the Pies game style, it’s a team’s ability to negate counter attacks through the middle.

Collingwood’s strength isn’t the attack but the transition and moving the ball quickly into an open forward line full of one on ones.

If you want to beat the Pies, you’ll have to do it in the middle of the ground by closing down space.

Not as easy as it seems.

I reckon that teams that defend well like Geelong, Sydney and Richmond are going to be effective at shutting down that Pie run that can be so dangerous. Freo defend well too but don't appear to be as dangerous offensively. I reckon the old hard arse coaches Longmire, Scott and Hardwick will have the solution to the Pie puzzle and unravel it accordingly. Time will tell I guess.
It will be interesting to see.
Cats def have the defensive skills now to shut teams down, but haven't they also had their moments of oppo getting on a run? I recall watching some games like this, can't quite recall details though.

Swans, beautifully balanced team. Can they perform at the G?

Richmond, I think their defensive integrity has gone by the wayside as they have become more offensive. Of course, for some folk they have always been offensive :) I just don't see the same crazy pressure they had 17-20.

Pies are magnificent without the ball. Can they keep kicking winning scores?

Magpies to win a tight one at home.

They have been amazing this year, what an impressive young team that never gives up.

Of course this is the reality. We’ve lost GFs and finals and have had tags applied, as have you.

But Billy Brownless isn’t playing for us this weekend so it’s a bit of a long bow to apply historical data with different variables to the here and now (although he was an awesome finals player from memory).
It’s deeper than personnel relevant at that time.
Kennetts curse - lasted a decade?
Colliwobbles - numerous gf’s over decades
Geelong current finals failure has lasted 11 yrs - been so close but so far.

It’s the aura and psyche that sets into a club, it’s raised by media and supporters, it permeates all the way to the soul of the club.

The pies know how to get there but always come up short on the day.
Fantastic finals record otherwise

Magpies to win a tight one at home.

They have been amazing this year, what an impressive young team that never gives up.
I have a query on the 'at home' comment, since when has this game been considered a Collingwood home game? This is Geelongs' home final by right of ladder position.

On the other hand Cats have no resolution right now to being forced into playing 'home' games at the MCG and yes, we may have an older list but in finals experience counts for something?

It’s deeper than personnel relevant at that time.
Kennetts curse - lasted a decade?
Colliwobbles - numerous gf’s over decades
Geelong current finals failure has lasted 11 yrs - been so close but so far.

It’s the aura and psyche that sets into a club, it’s raised by media and supporters, it permeates all the way to the soul of the club.

The pies know how to get there but always come up short on the day.
Fantastic finals record otherwise
It's actually lasted 10 years, although if you include prelims and a GF, maybe far less.

Because we're I sit making a GF isn't a finals failure.

I have a query on the 'at home' comment, since when has this game been considered a Collingwood home game? This is Geelongs' home final by right of ladder position.

On the other hand Cats have no resolution right now to being forced into playing 'home' games at the MCG and yes, we may have an older list but in finals experience counts for something?
Finals experience or finals results? Just so I’m clear.

A good defence isn’t the biggest threat to the Pies game style, it’s a team’s ability to negate counter attacks through the middle.

Collingwood’s strength isn’t the attack but the transition and moving the ball quickly into an open forward line full of one on ones.

If you want to beat the Pies, you’ll have to do it in the middle of the ground by closing down space.

Not as easy as it seems.

In other words, defending that transition. You wouldn't have won 11 straight if it was easy but I reckon the coaches named will be waiting for you.

If you want to play all your finals at home go and join the Geelong league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You certainly took every piece of bait thrown out there with this one!!
“Home game” taking the piss!!

Oh ok, so you think Melbourne defend better than Geelong then, because we couldn't get the run on against them like we did against Geelong.

Now we are fitter and train for close games, since the WC defeat, I hope you have learnt to defend it.
The numbers would suggest they don’t. I was suggesting Melbourne defends differently to Geelong, obviously that went above your head.

Won’t matter about how fit you are or even training for close games. Geelong are a better last quarter side. Even Fly knows that. You bring up the last game and your big 3rd quarter, I’d be more concerned about the other 3 quarters, only 4 goals.

It's actually lasted 10 years, although if you include prelims and a GF, maybe far less.

Because we're I sit making a GF isn't a finals failure.
Wait until you’re in your mid fifties and seen so many ways of losing one materialise.
I was actually not to upset in 2019, the tiges were winning no matter who showed up.
Better than losing another one.

I also saw the cats through the 80’s, 90’s till now continually lose finals.
Only had 1 good patch 2007 to 2011 out of 40yrs.

The numbers would suggest they don’t. I was suggesting Melbourne defends differently to Geelong, obviously that went above your head.

Won’t matter about how fit you are or even training for close games. Geelong are a better last quarter side. Even Fly knows that. You bring up the last game and your big 3rd quarter, I’d be more concerned about the other 3 quarters, only 4 goals.
Mate you think it went over my head?

All you have tried to say is, Geelong are the greatest team coached by the greatest coach and you haven't got a chance.

We trained for scenarios and the training so far has helped us, with luck of course, if that helps us win this Saturday, who knows, but if it makes you feel better, then here.
We are no hope, Geelong are just that much better than us, it's probably just a waste of time turning up.

Mate you think it went over my head?

All you have tried to say is, Geelong are the greatest team coached by the greatest coach and you haven't got a chance.

We trained for scenarios and the training so far has helped us, with luck of course, if that helps us win this Saturday, who knows, but if it makes you feel better, then here.
We are no hope, Geelong are just that much better than us, it's probably just a waste of time turning up.

Never change bigfooty

Wait until you’re in your mid fifties and seen so many ways of losing one materialise.
I was actually not to upset in 2019, the tiges were winning no matter who showed up.
Better than losing another one.

I also saw the cats through the 80’s, 90’s till now continually lose finals.
Only had 1 good patch 2007 to 2011 out of 40yrs.
We've had plenty of good patches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2022 First Qualifying Final - Cats v Pies Sat Sept 3rd 4:35pm EST (MCG)

Back