Autopsy AFL 2022 Second Elimination Final - Lions v Tigers Thurs Sept 1st 7:20pm EST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 76 36.4%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 64 30.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Cameron is the key for Brisbane. Without Grimes, they will go with Dan Rioli IMO. Not many options outside of that so if CC gets on top we are in trouble.

It'll be Dan's biggest test to date in a final in his revived role as a HBF.

Cameron usually struggles against the bigger body defenders, even if they lack the straight line pace. Has struggle against Grimes and Hibberd in recent times. I think he'd enjoy the match up against Rioli compared to say a Vlaustin or someone of that ilk.

Unlike a lot of the team, he tends to lift in finals (16 goals from 6 finals while at Brisbane), so he'll be a key.

So Cripps has his 2 week ban over turned which is far worse and Rayner still cops a week for a sling tackle? ive seen worse let go
What sling tackles worse than Rayners have you seen let go? Answer:none. And what has the Cripps case got to do with Rayners? Answer:nothing.

I give you my all-philosophy Aussie Rules Team of the Centuries!

B:
Hobbes (nasty, brutish and short)
Seneca (dour, indeed stoic, defender), Diogenes (you’ve heard of back pockets who are tough and kick “barrels”? This guy was so tough he lived in a barrel)
HB:
Socrates (keeps oppo highly accountable thru use of the Socratic method. Could be a good coach one day)
Nietzche (rugged defender who likes to attack the oppo through his genealogical method. Bit mad and has syphillis, from his stint plying for West Coast)
Kant (Pendlebury-like player who makes time and space seem like mere categories of the mind)
C:
Descartes (methodical wingman but headstrong - Refused to listen to his coach John Kennedy’s rousing half time speech)
Marx (blue collar superstar at home in the engine room)
Kierkegaard (team’s spiritual leader)
HF
Leibniz (mathematical precision in front of goals)
Aristotle (most well rounded player on the team- poetic in his movements)
Schopenhauer (embodiment of pure will but, like Richo, can show poor body language as a bit moody)
F:
Hegel (mercurial but inconsistent)
Heidegger (can always rely on him being-there to smash packs in a timely fashion)
Plato (slightly overrated and getting by on reputation at this point in his career)
R:
Confucius (towering figure, good enough to have giant statue outside MCG)
Wittgenstein (obsessive in his preparation but very lippy - likes to ply language games with oppo)
Derrida (picked as a tagger. Can deconstruct western metaphysics at will so can certainly deconstruct oppo’s best mid)

Coach: Mick Malthouse
I was thinking you might have picked Marcus Aurelius as coach, given his proven leadership abilities. Not everyone gets to be both a renowned stoic philosopher and emperor. But, on reflection, despite Malthouse's famed difficulty with handling the question of succession, that pales into insignificance when compared to old Marcus's insistence on the father-son rule.

Cameron usually struggles against the bigger body defenders, even if they lack the straight line pace. Has struggle against Grimes and Hibberd in recent times. I think he'd enjoy the match up against Rioli compared to say a Vlaustin or someone of that ilk.

Unlike a lot of the team, he tends to lift in finals (16 goals from 6 finals while at Brisbane), so he'll be a key.
He's a great player right, probably AA, so he's likely to have a positive impact regardless. Just have to try and limit it as much as we can.

Interesting you'd think he might not enjoy/have a harder time on Vlastuin. I was worried about the opposite, don't think Vlastuin has the speed/agility to go with him and while Vlas is better overhead/in the air, he would easily be turned around and run away from at ground level. Rioli is kind of the opposite, he isn't as strong in defensive marking contests, but at least has the speed and agility at ground level to track Cameron.

Will be interesting to see who Richmond go with as first choice.

No mention of Brisbane's recent finals record?

It's an issue, but Brisbane has been considered as a young side that was on the up, so falling short in finals isn't considered as big a deal as it is for a club that has been considered to have been in it's premiership window like Geelong.

It is definitely becoming more of a consideration though (I know it's been mentioned in the media), and if they fail again, then questions would certainly need to be answered.

Cameron and Neale have virtually been your only consistent players in September. Particularly Cameron. He averaged 4 goals last year.
Finals before that, over 2 goals per final.

Also, Hibberd is a very underrated defender. He is not blessed with speed but his defensive nous is exceptional. Reminds me a bit of the way Corey Enright use to play on those explosive small forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking you might have picked Marcus Aurelius as coach, given his proven leadership abilities. Not everyone gets to be both a renowned stoic philosopher and emperor. But, on reflection, despite Malthouse's famed difficulty with handling the question of succession, that pales into insignificance when compared to old Marcus's insistence on the father-son rule.

Get a room you two. 🤓🧐

Would it be considered a choke for Richmond if they lose this game, considering the state of the Lions at the moment?

Or would it just be a "bad loss"?

All the pressure is on the Lions, not us.
Unfortunately not the case. Tigers are clear favourites, even according to the bookies.

Must win for the Tiges or it'll be a wasted opportunity.

Anyone's game. Both teams have blundered games they should have won, both teams have the talent to be playing at the GF. But the Lions have shown they lack the mental fortitude to dig deep when it matters.
If they get a lead like the last game, I don't think they'll give that up at the Gabba.

Can't be a choke if you lose a game in which you are outsiders in... Richmond are currently favourites with the books.
I love that Lions fans are already making up excuses.

They finished higher, were top 4 for most fo the season, at their home ground, nearly full strength squad. The ONLY reason Tigers are favorites with the bookies is because Lions have history of choking when it matters for the last 4 years. Tigers on the other hand have already improved on last year, made finals again and transitioned in a bunch of young kids, anything more is a bonus. Lions are one choke away from yet another failed finals series including the one where they had the chance to play a grand final on there home ground, which will never happen again.

Keep telling yourselves all the pressure is on the team that only locked in a finals spot 1 week ago :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2022 Second Elimination Final - Lions v Tigers Thurs Sept 1st 7:20pm EST (Gabba)

Back