Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

The thing that will really mess with all you haters, what if Joe Daniher had marked the Bailey kick and then they pulled it back to Nelae as it wasn't advantage?

I'm sure then you would still be certain there was no advantage and would have fully supported Collingwood fans disappointment.
Ummm that would have been an advantage- pretty self explanatory isn’t it.

Yeah well- I guess he didn’t really have a right to go after the ball.

Spare me snowflake, Coleman threw his head back and got a phantom free with 2 mins to go that everyone seems to have amnesia about. Not to mention the absurd 50 to McLuggage for the stand rule where for the first time all day they wanted to be pedantic on it. Or how about Bailey's incredible goal where he was allowed to trail his man and then stop in the protected zone to smother Cox's kick?

You Collingwood haters can only ever see the decisions that go for us, which there were clearly quite a few. But there were also quite a few that went the Lions way.

Best team won and are premiers.

It would've been more consistent with how they were umpiring the rule during the game, and most of this season.

I agree it should have been brought back to him, but people talking like it's the biggest howler of all time are clearly just anti Collingwood. What if there was only 10 seconds left? Would you be wanting the ball to go back into that case?

My favourite part about BF is the melts from ‘neutral’ supporters after Collingwood games.

Last week GWS supporters were sprinkling good luck messages amongst all the salt from everyone else. Today’s melts are out of control though.

It’s beautiful reading material for this Collingwood supporter who enjoyed another Collingwood premiership in the flesh. Life is beautiful.

Did you watch the game? No one from Collingwood had any impact outside of Hill and maybe Crisp. Brisbane we’re by far the better team but just weren’t clean enough at crucial moments going forward

Is there such a thing as worst post of the year? And if so can I please nominate this one?

I agree it should have been brought back to him, but people talking like it's the biggest howler of all time are clearly just anti Collingwood. What if there was only 10 seconds left? Would you be wanting the ball to go back into that case?

What I want and what I think should happen in either case are not always concordant. I think regardless of how much time left, it probably should've gone back based on how it's been judged this season (like you've acknowledged).

Lol. I just watched the last 2 minutes back. I don’t think the commentary team saying “ridiculous. That is ridiculous.” does a lot for those arguing that Collingwood weren’t gifted this game.
I thought the commentary team is biased towards Collingwood. That’s all I’ve been reading in this thread. Make up your minds already!

My favourite part about BF is the melts from ‘neutral’ supporters after Collingwood games.

Last week GWS supporters were sprinkling good luck messages amongst all the salt from everyone else. Today’s melts are out of control though.

It’s beautiful reading material for this Collingwood supporter who enjoyed another Collingwood premiership in the flesh. Life is beautiful.

Haha, I'm just a neutral but there is no way anyone is gonna remember this Grand Final for anything but a missed advantage call with one minute left where Lachie Neale was clearly going to hit up a Brisbane player for a certain clutch goal that would have won Brisbane the game. I'm just a neutral though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a great game! Both sides played great footy, umpiring was a non factor, Bobby Hill was a deserving BOG, special mentions to Sidebottom and Cox who also played great today. It was hard to choose a standout out from Brisbane but probably McCluggage, Coleman, Daniher and Cameron.

All round good day, couldn’t ask for much more as a neutral.
Yet the majority of the ‘neutrals’ in here are complaining about the umpiring.

Felt like a little bit of a choke from the Lions there.

Poor-arse defending in the last few minutes of each quarter giving up goals, players like Hipwood, Rayner, Bailey (after half-time), 2xBrownlow medalist Lauchie Neale up until 3 quarter. Berry too.

Bit soft sorry Lions.
This Collingwood side does that to teams.

Frampton was less deserving of a premiership medal today than Leon Davis and he didn't even play in the replay.

He got beaten in pretty much every contest by Harris Andrews and was lucky he didn't give away more free kicks than he did.

I feel sorry for McStay who missed out on a premiership medal while a clearly inferior player to him got one.
That’s one more premiership medal than any St Kilda player in the last 50 years.

Except for Luke Ball of course. He’s the last St Kilda captain to have a premiership medal.

What a game!

Daniher showed a lot heart and effort today I am officially a fan and his haters can go to bed.

Tom Mitchell has been a star all year and another big game in a big moment, a great career so far very happy for him to get that premiership.

Great work Collingwood such a lethal team! They can just put move sides and grab them by the throat.

Also Mason Cox ruckwork towards the end was huge a couple of key big. hitouts

Flagpies! Impressive games from our 2023 recruits Hill and Mitchell, Nick Daicos underrated game and Pendles’ last quarter was something else.

Great quality game overall and impressive forward efficiency and skills by Brisbane too, you’d think they’ll be very much in contention next year, window’s wide open.

Re umpiring, the advantage call was correct, the umpire shouldn’t wait to see whether the kick lands in a Lions mark before they call it, that would be ridiculous. Ball was kicked inside 50 to a contest after the whistle, play on.

Also if we want to get into the nitty gritty it paints a different picture to what some are trying to drive as a narrative:
  • Bailey was standing in the protected zone instead of following Quaynor out of it BEFORE Cox was called play on. Should have been a 50m penalty against, instead it was a Brisbane goal.
  • Markov shouldn’t have been penalised via a 50m penalty resulting in another Brisbane goal. He was in running back in a continuous movement and shouldn’t have been told to stand straight away.

To go from second last in 2021 to premiers is impressive coaching especially with a full transformation in game style and some significant trade movements.

The crowd there was noisy as hell, do you expect the players to hear the whistle with that crowd noise? It's a lot easier to hear it on the tv.

It should've been brought back for a free kick to Brisbane as there wasn't any advantage for them, it may as well not have been a free kick.
You also giving Markov the benefit of the doubt which resulted in a 50 against him and a Lions goal? At least he was right on the boundary when he was told to stand. You arguing that shouldn’t have been 50 and a Lions goal after? Or only the calls for Collingwood matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back