Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

Lions fans have been very gracious in defeat. All the neutrals have been insane. You'd think the lions never got an incorrect call all match.

It was one of the best grand finals in living memory and you are all sooking about a 50m penalty. One of several that occured during the game.

I've been saying this for years. If it's a close game the umpires WILL decide it. With a decision or non decision. It's just the nature of this sport.

We've had it go against us. This year in this one instance a 50m call that was technically correct went our way.

It didn't in 2018. Calm down and just embrace the moment.

Commiserations to Brisbane. Was a cracking game. Some great stories on the pies side. Markov coming from nowhere, Bobby Hill comeback from cance, Mason Cox, Steele and Pendles getting another flag at the end of their careers.

Lions fans have been very gracious in defeat. All the neutrals have been insane. You'd think the lions never got an incorrect call all match.

It was one of the best grand finals in living memory and you are all sooking about a 50m penalty. One of several that occured during the game.

I've been saying this for years. If it's a close game the umpires WILL decide it. With a decision or non decision. It's just the nature of this sport.

We've had it go against us. This year in this one instance a 50m call that was technically correct went our way.

Commiserations to Brisbane. Was a cracking game. Some great stories on the pies side. Markov coming from nowhere, Bobby Hill comeback from cance, Mason Cox, Steele and Pendles getting another flag at the end of their careers.
Most people didn't think that was a block in 2018. That was a fairytale manufactured by Collingwood people in the media. That being paid would have meant about 80 more should be paid each game.

These umps have been abysmal

The umpiring was absolutely terrible all day, from the first few minutes paying high frees for ducks (both ways) and then the "advantage" call at the end. Not to say Pies didn't deserve the flag but Jesus you would be ropeable if you were a Lions supporter with the call at the end.

The Sidebottom 50 was there, really dumb from Berry, and McLuggage had one in the 3rd in a similar position that was very stiff anyway.

You expect better umpiring than that in the GF, was the only blight on the game.

Most people didn't think that was a block in 2018. That was a fairytale manufactured by Collingwood people in the media. That being paid would have meant about 80 more should be paid each game.
And most commentaries I've seen think that it was a 50 against Steele Sidebottom. But hey whatever helps you sleep at night. I could also throw 2002 in there if you want with Roccas goal not being paid.

Frampton was less deserving of a premiership medal today than Leon Davis and he didn't even play in the replay.

He got beaten in pretty much every contest by Harris Andrews and was lucky he didn't give away more free kicks than he did.

I feel sorry for McStay who missed out on a premiership medal while a clearly inferior player to him got one.
Andrews took one intercept mark mate. Frampton's job was to stop Andrews intercept game. Mission accomplished. Frampton may be an inferior forward to McStay but he quelled Andrew's influence which no doubt helped Collingwood win the premiership therefore he deserves his medal ffs

I was curious about that 'full house' sign that came up when they announced the attendance at 100,024 - I didn't believe it could possibly be exactly full. But I looked it up - that's two more than the attendance in 2018, it's the biggest-ever crowd in the current MCG configuration, and according to Wikipedia 100,024 is precisely the capacity of the ground.

View attachment 1818555
Same as last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The umpiring was absolutely terrible all day, from the first few minutes paying high frees for ducks (both ways) and then the "advantage" call at the end. Not to say Pies didn't deserve the flag but Jesus you would be ropeable if you were a Lions supporter with the call at the end.

The Sidebottom 50 was there, really dumb from Berry, and McLuggage had one in the 3rd in a similar position that was very stiff anyway.

You expect better umpiring than that in the GF, was the only blight on the game.
Why would you ever expect good umpiring in the AFL?

The Sidebottom 50 was there every day. Very undisciplined by Berry.

I was surprised there wasn't a 50 against Frampton for "dissent" near the end, if that was round 3 it would have been paid.

I'm comparing Frampton's premiership medal winning performance with Mooneys from 1999. Nothing to do with Rayner. I watch ALL the football I can. Which is most of it.

It's another tale of a bloke being picked because he's tall and nothing more. I feel sadness for John Noble more than any other emotion for anything coming out of today's game.

Collingwood will argue that selecting Frampton meant their 'structure' worked. That's fine. But it doesn't mean he isn't the most undeserving recipient of a premiership medal in VFL/AFL history.

You have this bloke winning a medal, while a guy like Shaun Mannagh rots in the VFL because he's 5'9, despite being a more talented footballer in every metric other than manning an opposition tall.

How is what Frampton did today any different to Maginness not being interested in winning any ball? You guys frothed over Maginness getting 6 possessions against us when Daicos played a qtr and a half.

Andrews was a non factor for 3 qtrs. That was his job, sure he dropped 2 easy marks but he stopped Andrews having any influence on the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back