Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

That is quite some mental gymnastics from you asserting that because the commentary team used the term ridiculous that Collingwood was gifted the game. A game where Collingwood led at every change and had they kicked straight, could have been 4 to 5 goals ahead in the last. Yeah gifted pfffft
I’m asserting that the umpiring call being highly controversial and favouring Collingwood isn’t some fringe Internet theory exclusive to this board because the even commentary team, who normally refrain from that type of remark, were saying it.

Of course it’s just a game, that doesn’t mean you can’t criticise it. It just sucks that a spectacle was so obviously influenced by bad decisions

Collingwood may have still won if they didn’t gift Sidebottom a shot at goal by extending the 50

Or if Daicos didn’t get given multiple high frees despite lowering himself

Or if the umpire didn’t pay advantage

Or if they paid a free against Maynard for hitting a guy in the head who was already being tackled

Etc.

These are all hypotheticals and Collingwood will always be premiers. Doesn’t mean people have to say that won it fairly.

Unfortunately, we will never know how a fair contest would’ve gone.
Ah, a pseudo-intellectual sook, the best!

Of course it’s just a game, that doesn’t mean you can’t criticise it. It just sucks that a spectacle was so obviously influenced by bad decisions

Collingwood may have still won if they didn’t gift Sidebottom a shot at goal by extending the 50

Or if they paid a free against Maynard for hitting a guy in the head who was already being tackled

Etc.

These are all hypotheticals and Collingwood will always be premiers. Doesn’t mean people have to say that won it fairly.

You do realize BNE won the free kick count 22-16.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Etc.

How about the fact Zac Bailey was well within the protected zone and closer to Mason Cox taking the kick than to his opponent?

I'm comparing Frampton's premiership medal winning performance with Mooneys from 1999. Nothing to do with Rayner. I watch ALL the football I can. Which is most of it.

It's another tale of a bloke being picked because he's tall and nothing more. I feel sadness for John Noble more than any other emotion for anything coming out of today's game.

Collingwood will argue that selecting Frampton meant their 'structure' worked. That's fine. But it doesn't mean he isn't the most undeserving recipient of a premiership medal in VFL/AFL history.

You have this bloke winning a medal, while a guy like Shaun Mannagh rots in the VFL because he's 5'9, despite being a more talented footballer in every metric other than manning an opposition tall.

How is it underserving when he did exactly what he’s supposed to do by game plan and design?

Where does Noble fit into the defensive structure/lineup?

2018 McGovern basically soloed a whole team in one quarter lmao with his marking/intercepts, and Harris Andrews is more than capable of doing that of course.

Talent, ethics, personality, nepotism etc etc it’s not one thing alone that makes you a professional sportsmen, far from it. I guarantee to you there’s more talented sportsmen that don’t play top league in all sports than the bottom 50 let’s say for laments terms for one reason or another which we the people have no fn clue about it.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

Great game of football. Probably a fair result because Collingwood were the best team all year. Happy to see Bobby Hill win the Norm Smith because he was outstanding.

A pretty poor umpiring performance I thought with some bemusing decisions and non-decisions both ways.

I'm comparing Frampton's premiership medal winning performance with Mooneys from 1999. Nothing to do with Rayner. I watch ALL the football I can. Which is most of it.

It's another tale of a bloke being picked because he's tall and nothing more. I feel sadness for John Noble more than any other emotion for anything coming out of today's game.

Collingwood will argue that selecting Frampton meant their 'structure' worked. That's fine. But it doesn't mean he isn't the most undeserving recipient of a premiership medal in VFL/AFL history.

You have this bloke winning a medal, while a guy like Shaun Mannagh rots in the VFL because he's 5'9, despite being a more talented footballer in every metric other than manning an opposition tall.
384445866_711179447719922_9053007018812224372_n.jpg

How is it underserving when he did exactly what he’s supposed to do by game plan and design?

Where does Noble fit into the defensive structure/lineup?

2018 McGovern basically soloed a whole team in one quarter lmao with his marking/intercepts, and Harris Andrews is more than capable of doing that of course.

Talent, ethics, personality, nepotism etc etc it’s not one thing alone that makes you a professional sportsmen, far from it. I guarantee to you there’s more talented sportsmen that don’t play top league in all sports than the bottom 50 let’s say for laments terms for one reason or another which we the people have no fn clue about it.

Haters gonna hate I guess.
Only criticism I have over using Frampton is not using Kreuger instead, but he may very well have put his knee through one of his teammates heads

Frampton held himself in good steed and absolutely played his role. Was he good? No. But he sacrificed himself and negated a KPD who largely stifled a Coleman medalist just the week prior and who is absolutely the reason why Brisbane were into a GF to begin with.

If every team had role players in well defined roles like Collingwood do, we’d have a way better competition

Only criticism I have over using Frampton is not using Kreuger instead, but he may very well have put his knee through one of his teammates heads

Frampton held himself in good steed and absolutely played his role. Was he good? No. But he sacrificed himself and negated a KPD who largely stifled a Coleman medalist just the week prior and who is absolutely the reason why Brisbane were into a GF to begin with.

If every team had role players in well defined roles like Collingwood do, we’d have a way better competition

We would have preferred McStay to play that offensive role, but unfortunately he wasn’t available.

The next best option was to play Frampton as that completely defensive forward. Worked an absolute treat against pretty much the best intercepting defender in the game.

We would have preferred McStay to play that offensive role, but unfortunately he wasn’t available.

The next best option was to play Frampton as that completely defensive forward. Worked an absolute treat against pretty much the best intercepting defender in the game.
Yeah and it worked, so you can’t be critical of him. He absolutely played his role. I don’t know enough about Kreuger but I think he offers more offensively and as a focal point. However, it’s a moot point when you walk away with a flag and a guys selflessness is a massive reason as to why.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back