AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 65 31.4%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 70 33.8%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 30 14.5%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hearing kat Perry has booted the Lions off the MCG so she can rehearse her pregame medley. Very disappointing the AFL would compromise the integrity of the grand final for a lip-synching has-been. #VICBIAS

AFL's greatest blunder is not getting Bruce Springsteen. Could have pre match, half time and end of game entertainment sorted.

AFL's greatest blunder is not getting Bruce Springsteen. Could have pre match, half time and end of game entertainment sorted.

No chance the AFL would ever get Bruce Springsteen, he doesn't need to promote a shit new album to try to get people to buy it.

No chance the AFL would ever get Bruce Springsteen, he doesn't need to promote a shit new album to try to get people to buy it.

They could try something unique and pay for services rendered. Btruce (even in his 70s) is leaps and bounds better than many of the acts the AFL have forced us to listen to!

They could try something unique and pay for services rendered. Btruce (even in his 70s) is leaps and bounds better than many of the acts the AFL have forced us to listen to!

ACDC would have been great too but like Bruce they don't need to play at an AFL GF, they are way too good and too big for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deflecting from the facts at hand.

It's the franchise way.
I mean, you talk about being propped up... let's not kid ourselves, your entire club (coaches, players and fans alike) would suck the performance enhancing substances direct from the nearest available appendage if it meant winning a single final.

And yet, we have recent concrete proof that it still wouldn't be enough to drag your bloated, pestilent corpse of a club over the line...

On topic, my favourite "franchise" is playing in a Grand Final on Friday, something that you may never get to experience again in your lifetime. I'm very much looking forward to it. So prattle away Titus Andronicus,

Do not draw back, for we will mourn with thee;
O, could our mourning ease thy misery!

I mean, you talk about being propped up... let's not kid ourselves, your entire club (coaches, players and fans alike) would suck the performance enhancing substances direct from the nearest available appendage if it meant winning a single final.

And yet, we have recent concrete proof that it still wouldn't be enough to drag your bloated, pestilent corpse of a club over the line...

On topic, my favourite "franchise" is playing in a Grand Final on Friday, something that you may never get to experience again in your lifetime. I'm very much looking forward to it. So prattle away Titus Andronicus,

Do not draw back, for we will mourn with thee;
O, could our mourning ease thy misery!
See post 388.

Can not wait for this Grand Final. you know why?

Because I could not care less who wins, hopefully it's just a ripping contest.
Will be heartbreak for losses given the history of both sides recently in GF's.

Will be heartbreak for losses given the history of both sides recently in GF's.

Anytime you lose a grand final, it's tragic from a football perspective, but whoever loses this one will carry some extra weight. It may end up being almost as big of a story as the winner.

Anytime you lose a grand final, it's tragic from a football perspective, but whoever loses this one will carry some extra weight. It may end up being almost as big of a story as the winner.
I'm thankful we didn't experience a GF loss during 2017-2020, the 2018 prelim hurt when we were the best team, but I reckon it would have hurt more if it was a Grand Final.

The last few sides to make a grand final from outside the top 4 have had the dream run come crushing down on Grand Final day.

The Giants were just never in it in 2019 (after a very similar run to Brisbane's, with an incredibly close semi final away & close prelim final away too), and the Dogs faded out of 2021 with the Demons fresher legs taking over.

I think there's a reason there's only been one premier from outside the top 4. I would obviously love to be wrong, but think this will be a Sydney win, and possibly a relatively comfortable one too.

Our 2005 forward line was pretty good...
Hall, O'Loughlin, O'Keefe, Davis, Schneider... Probably one of the best we've had
About that.

This might shock you...

Its not a bad batch of Goal kickers. But in that 22 games the swans played in the Regualr season, they averaged 89 (13.11.89) points a game in attack and 76 (11.10.76) points in defence.

That can be decieving as 15.10.100 can be scored.

But You mentioned those blokes that played forward and kicked goals.

Hall lead the Goalkicking in 2005: 80 goals and 41 behinds.
Micky O Loughlin: 52 goals and 26 Behinds
Ryan O keefe: 31 goals and 33 behinds
Nick Davis: 38 goals and 31 Behinds
Adam Schinder: 11 goals and 10 behinds. He had other seasons at the Swans and Saints kicking 30 goals a season.
Adam Goodes: 23 goals and 14 Behinds.

Not the greatest forward line in AFL history, But a good spread and versatile group of forward options.

The last few sides to make a grand final from outside the top 4 have had the dream run come crushing down on Grand Final day.

The Giants were just never in it in 2019 (after a very similar run to Brisbane's, with an incredibly close semi final away & close prelim final away too), and the Dogs faded out of 2021 with the Demons fresher legs taking over.

I think there's a reason there's only been one premier from outside the top 4. I would obviously love to be wrong, but think this will be a Sydney win, and possibly a relatively comfortable one too.
you Might be right....

It could be Similar to Brisbane in 2004. Yeah Brisbane made top 4 but had to play at the MCG in a prelim final vs the cats. Brisbane still won that prelim by 9 points but Lost to Port by 40 points the next week. Brisbane was leading at half time into the grand final. Not trying to give out a negative omen.

Its weird as I follow the SANFL. Since the 1980s, there has been a fair amount of sides that have Battled from 4th or 5th in an elimination final to a grand final. A few SANFL sides have won from 4th or 5th and won 4 finals in a row to win the flag.

off the top of my head these are some of the sides that have won 4 finals in a row from 4th or 5th and won the SANFL flag....

Norwood (1984)
Port (1998)
North Adelaide (2018)
Glenelg (2024)

I might be missing one. But those 4 I know have done it.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back