Autopsy AFL 2024 Opening Round 0 - Swans v Demons Thurs March 7th 7:30pm AEDT (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • Swans by a lot

• Demons by a lot

• Draw

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If anything Swans midfield contest was a weak point for you last year
We’ve since got this thing called a ruckman. Apparently they make a difference but I guess we’ll find out.

You got Parker and Mills out, Adam will be borderline fit
Imagine losing those three and STILL being favourite to beat a previous season’s top 4 side? Says a thing or two about our midfield depth no? Which was the thing I was talking about all along.

Luckily preseason games mean nothing (otherwise I would say Lions gave you a lesson in 3rd).
Mmmm a 25 point loss to last year’s grand finalist when we deliberately left out Warner, Lloyd and Papley, lost Adams during the game and already had no Parker or Mills. If pre season games meant anything, what lesson would it have been exactly?

Anyway as I said, none of this necessarily translates to a win. GWS losing to West Coast last year demonstrates that anything can happen in a footy game. Maybe Viney and Trac will haul Melbourne over the line and their depth won’t be tested.

All that I was disagreeing with the other poster about was that our midfield depth is significantly better than Melbourne’s and I happily stand by that.

Deez will win this comfortably. Their backline will prevent the Swans talls from kicking a score and they’ll get enough looks through Gawn petracca my boi viney and Oliver. Schache to kick a bag.
You were going okay until you said Schache will kick a bag. Kidding yourself.
Scrub.

I reckon The Dees will roll Sydney. They're still going to be around the mark this season and will give it a serious crack.

If Fritsh has a big season, The Dees can go all the way. Will make the semis at the bare minimum. Prelim or GF is a realistic expectation for That Club.

Actually feel all this stuff might galvanise the Melbourne footy club. Expecting them to come out playing like demons and it to be competitive, but Swans will still be too good and win by two goals.

I think Melbourne will rally.

Dees get it done. They have a good shot to make the Grand Final again.

Don't think Melbourne's midfield outs are the worry. I'd argue that missing nearly our entire forward line (Petty, Pickett, McAdam, Melksham) and being forced to play Josh Schache and a bunch of kids is a little more concerning.
Don’t need a forward line. Sydney don’t have any defensive talent. Even on Auskick sized congested ground we will find a way to score over 100.

Two shortish sleeps to go. Thankfully the AFL has moved on from the old season opener. Hopefully this and the other three opening round games are crackers.

Both Clubs are missing key players and others are underdone. Not just Melbourne but all Clubs and fans feel for the widely admired Angus Brayshaw.

The weather for the game looks reasonable which is a bit of a miracle.

There are some interesting story lines. I am really looking forward to Gawn v Grundy.

The media will likely run Oliver redemption stories and Swans post Franklin stories. Many Swans have committed to a drinking game with a drink swallowed every time the idiot commentators mention Buddy. Others are welcome to join but please line your stomach and hydrate. Above all, post game if you play the game, do not drive and swear at BT.

A while back I tipped the Bloods and I will stick with this but the margin will be tight.

No Parker, no Mills means no one to go with Petracca(?) and Oliver.

Swans are short on big bodies - we’re gonna get smashed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird how people are saying Adams is a loss.

He’s an average and aging mid who had played literally zero games for Sydney.
Yeah I think this is fair. He can’t really be described as a “loss” given he hasn’t played a game for us and we didn’t have to give up any sort of like-for-like to get him.

Anyway our 126 point win will prove that we are much bigger than any one two three missing players.

I reckon The Dees will roll Sydney. They're still going to be around the mark this season and will give it a serious crack.

If Fritsh has a big season, The Dees can go all the way. Will make the semis at the bare minimum. Prelim or GF is a realistic expectation for That Club.
Mate give it a rest for FFS. You have said this in about 3 or 4 previous posts on this thread. Do you need to keep repeating crap to justify your knowledge to yourself ? You may well be right and the chances are high considering you are like the bloke that backs the field In The Melbourne Cup. Oh ! Look At Me ! I backed the Winner !
Pity it only paid $2.20.:rolleyes:

Anyone else think nick Blakey should be captain of Sydney?

Back