Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Qualifying Final - Port v Cats Thurs Sept 5th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) - Teams up

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 79 42.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 44 23.4%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've often wondered - has any analysis ever been done around this? It seems to be routinely spoken of as a fact that a tough lead in to finals is a better preparation for finals than an easy one, but I wonder if that is even true? Particularly these days with the pre-finals bye.

I'm too lazy to do the analysis myself, but wonder if anyone has done it for me?
The pre-finals bye actually helps with the tough lead in.

Previously, an easy final round would be a bonus because you're players are likely to be more fresh going into the Finals one week later.

Now the bye just extends the time since a solid hit out. And if you do have a hard fought finals-like game to finish the season, you've got an extra week to recover.

The pre-finals bye actually helps with the tough lead in.

Previously, an easy final round would be a bonus because you're players are likely to be more fresh going into the Finals one week later.

Now the bye just extends the time since a solid hit out. And if you do have a hard fought finals-like game to finish the season, you've got an extra week to recover.

I don't disagree and I can see the logic. Just wonder if anyone has actually crunched the numbers to back it up.

Edit: Just re-read your post and can see you were making a slightly different point, which I agree with 100%.

thats a big bullet to the Geelong boat..and some lucky break for Port adel.
no excuses now power!

Maybe just because Port think this guy, after 4 goals 6 behinds and an entire career as a failed forward, is suddenly their go-to guy along side what's left of Charlie Dixon .
Because when he is forward, his shanked kicks dont give the opposition and immediate shot on goal
Port morons on this forum thinking this is because of Jed McEntee... He's a hack lol
Geelong morons on this forum thinking that those comments were serious
At least it forced the selection of McEntee lol
He could be left out now and still get BOG since he took out Stewart

My die is cast.
Cats by less then expected, but still by 5 goals!

thats a big bullet to the Geelong boat..and some lucky break for Port adel.
no excuses now power!
Lucky break? We lost our two best rebounding defenders with elite kicks in the past few weeks I don't know how lucky we are tbh.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Port will win this quite comfortably. Port should make the prelim win or lose, but this game is crucial for Geelong's premiership hopes IMO. If they lose today and Bulldogs win tomorrow, then I think it's straight sets. If they happen to beat Bulldogs, then its curtains in Sydney vs the QF winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about it being a ‘Power up’.

AFL will want an MCG Prelim - and Meredith is a chief AFL appointed ‘liquidator’.

No pressure on the Cats if they lose tonight.

All pressure on Port. If they really lose at home and cook this finals series it’s a disgrace and Hinkley needs to go. Enough is enough.

Because when he is forward, his shanked kicks dont give the opposition and immediate shot on goal

Geelong morons on this forum thinking that those comments were serious

He could be left out now and still get BOG since he took out Stewart
Eye for an eye!

No pressure on the Cats if they lose tonight.

All pressure on Port. If they really lose at home and cook this finals series it’s a disgrace and Hinkley needs to go. Enough is enough.

See you here post game.

See you here post game.

Hope not I’m going for you guys. Don’t lemme down 👍

I know Houston & Farrell are out - but I’d put Stewart in the top handful of most valuable players to their teams in the comp. In the discussion alongside Gawn, Greene & Andrews for me.

So I think Port will win now. Probably smack em early and ride out a few momentum waves to a 30 pt win is my tip

Sheeeesh that one hurts

Have to go with Port now, was 50/50 but no Stewart really kills you

Though Guthrie has played the role a couple of times and been handy

At least it forced the selection of McEntee lol
It's more that Stewart has been our best or second best midfielder the past 8 weeks since he moved there. He and Dangerfield had stopped the bleeding besides a couple of halves.

Bowes, Bruhn and Atkins now all need to play very well or we are stuffed.

I know Houston & Farrell are out - but I’d put Stewart in the top handful of most valuable players to their teams in the comp. In the discussion alongside Gawn, Greene & Andrews for me.

So I think Port will win now. Probably smack em early and ride out a few momentum waves to a 30 pt win is my tip
I agree with the second part. Port will blow it out early with their quality mids dominant. As the game wears on, the lack of depth (thanks to injuries) of Port will start to show.

I reckon Ratugolea kicks a clutch goal or two against his old side. Whoever loses will go in straight sets.

Over or under 167.5 points?
Under. Port will get ahead early with a blitz out of their mids and then everyone will shut up shop.

Cats can't do anything other than structure behind the ball. Once they're 5 goals down, they're not coming back and Port will be happy to sit back and soak the clock and game.

Under. Port will get ahead early with a blitz out of their mids and then everyone will shut up shop.

Cats can't do anything other than structure behind the ball. Once they're 5 goals down, they're not coming back and Port will be happy to sit back and soak the clock and game.

Does Tom Stewart being out hurt more the offense or defense?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Qualifying Final - Port v Cats Thurs Sept 5th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) - Teams up

Back