Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Qualifying Final - Port v Cats Thurs Sept 5th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) - Teams up

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 79 42.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 44 23.4%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

H2H record in Finals:
  • QF (2004) = Port Adelaide 117-62 Geelong
  • GF (2007) = Geelong 163-44 Port Adelaide
  • SF (2013) = Geelong 96-80 Port Adelaide
  • QF (2020) = Port Adelaide 58-42 Geelong
  • QF (2021) = Port Adelaide 86-43 Geelong
Port Adelaide leads the H2H record 3-2.
Reckon the only relevant games on that list are the last two.

I love this time of year. The definition of choking gets rewritten by all and sundry about 50,000 times a week. It’s 10 days out from game time and already a hypothetical defeat to the team that finished second by the side that finished one spot behind them is being labelled a choke.
To be honest I'm just happy to be here

Port should win unless they choke.

Scott is an excellent coach who has covered a weak midfield, but he is bringing a knife to a gun fight this week and his best hope is the old Port choke.
If the only way the cats can win is port choking, maybe Scott brings a bag of dicks instead of a knife?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon the only relevant games on that list are the last two.
IS that even relevant?

Both were during a pandemic, both clubs have changed captains since.

We will look like having 12 changes (Dahlhaus, Guthrie, Hawkins, Henderon, Higgins, Menegola, O'Connor, Parfitt, Rohan, Selwood, Simpson, Smith) while going off their R25 side Port could have 12 differences as well from 21 QF (Amon, Bonner, Duursma, Fantasia, Gray, Houston, Jonas, Ladhams, Lycett, Marshall, McKenzie, Motlop).

Last edited:
IS that even relevant?

Both were during a pandemic, both clubs have changed captains since.

We will look like having 12 changes (Dahlhaus, Guthrie, Hawkins, Henderon, Higgins, Menegola, O'Connor, Parfitt, Rohan, Selwood, Simpson, Smith) while going off their R25 side Port could have 12 differences as well from 21 QF (Amon, Bonner, Duursma, Fantasia, Gray, Houston, Jonas, Ladhams, Lycett, Marshall, McKenzie, Motlop).
Also fair. I'm more saying that before that is total noise. That's a surprising level of turnover for both when you zoom out on the pandemic games too

Cats are very good at having dominant patches in games. I know the quality Port has, but will still have to produce 4 quarters of pressure as in recent games. Our outs are massive and will be a weak area where we have been good. Gives Cats a chance to stop Port from clearing out of defence. Houston and Farrell have both been excellent at driving the ball deep for so long we have taken it for granted having them both out changes a lot

Will be an interesting game, I hope marshall is not recalled after 4 weeks out, he’ll be like an extra player for the cats. Would be much more confident if Houston and Farrell were playing.

In fairness I can't think of a worse team we've fielded and made the 8
2000 Geelong (by a mile).
2004 Geelong.
2005 Geelong.
2014 Geelong.
2016 Geelong.
2017 Geelong.
2018 Geelong.

Look at the line ups and get back to me. Especially the forward lines and the midfield depth.

The 2004-2005 batch had guns who were yet to actually arrive. 2016-2018 was pretty much all Dangerwood and Hawkins, with some fading veterans.

2019 a number of others starting playing well in finals and our top 5 had solid (but not spectacular support.

2000 Geelong (by a mile).
2004 Geelong.
2005 Geelong.
2014 Geelong.
2016 Geelong.
2017 Geelong.
2018 Geelong.

Look at the line ups and get back to me. Especially the forward lines and the midfield depth.

The 2004-2005 batch had guns who were yet to actually arrive. 2016-2018 was pretty much all Dangerwood and Hawkins, with some fading veterans.

2019 a number of others starting playing well in finals and our top 5 had solid (but not spectacular support.
Maybe I look at the past with rose coloured glasses

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Qualifying Final - Port v Cats Thurs Sept 5th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) - Teams up

Back