Preview AFL 2nd Qualifying Final - Geelong v Fremantle, Simonds Stadium, 2:20PM Saturday 7 September

Predict the margin at full time:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who said I was having a go at Geelong? I believe I made it abundantly clear that I was angry with the AFL. Did you mention chips?

Is anybody going to talk about the game? Can we discuss the apparent inconsistency in attitude toward Crowley limiting Selwood's influence on the game versus that of Hunt on Hill? The mystery involved in the final 22? Whether Hawkins will play versus whether McPharlin will play? How we're going to keep all of our players out of the MRP next week?

Or did you just want to keep baiting me?

I think you lost that clarity (and any credibility) when you started threatening to burn your tickets on OUR site. It wasn't the AFL's, it was ours. You weren't talking footy, you were talking rubbish. If you now want to talk footy that's fine but I don't think anyone gives a rats if you burn your tickets. It'd be funnier watching you burn $100 note though

Off to work!

I think the Fockers are going to be a formidable opponent, and this game is going to be a real street fight.

We were very poor in the F50 last week, and the Fockers play the most defensive, suffocating game style of them all. They will also test and exploit our defensive weakness with small forwards, and they will be full of run after resting 50% of their side last week.

A previous poster also showed that the dimensions of their home ground and SS are nearly the same, so the venue won't cause them any difficulties and I suspect their displeasure with the decision to host the game at SS might give them some extra mongrel and motivation to shove it up the AFL - and the GFC - with a win.

Is anybody going to talk about the game? Can we discuss the apparent inconsistency in attitude toward Crowley limiting Selwood's influence on the game versus that of Hunt on Hill?

Legitimate.

If we play Taylor Hunt this week it will only enhance Fremantle's ability to win the game. I truly believe that and won't be swayed. He's been awful, just awful since his injury. His performance is clearly dependant on the team.

When we played Freo early in the year, it was a demolition. We controlled it from start to finish. The score should have looked worse for Fremantle. So, the variables the way they were, Crowley's job on Selwood proved to be a huge win for him and the club. A fantastic tagging effort. Tagging is very easy if your club is in control, extremely hard if not. Especially on a player the calibre of Selwood.

On T.Hunt. The conditions last time were not in favour of players like Hill. Add to this the fact that Fremantle had very few opportunities to win the ball and pass it off to runners. Hunt had the easiest job of the day. To use this as a reason to pick him for this game is utter stupidity.

And what of the Final last year? I distinctly recall Hill carving us to bits. Hunt play on him that night? Well, it doesn't matter. Chris Scott is going to take us into the finals with a bloke who has underperformed for 80% of the year and a backline susceptible to being dominated by smalls. By choice I might add.

Out: Bartel, T. Hunt, Hawkins
In: J. Hunt, Guthrie, Vardy.

Time to make the hard call on Bartel. J Hunt and Guthrie are better options in the back half particularly against the smaller forwards that are ripping us apart. In addition their disposal is far better than Bartel, who lately manages to turn over at least one goal a week with poor disposal. Bartel in the back line is not, and has not been successful. On the ball or in the forward line is a different story.

The call will not be made on Hawkins, but is should be. Freo will have a day out launching attack after attack from their back half, and if his only value is bringing it to ground, if he actually make the contest, this is of little value. The theory of getting the best backman is flawed because he continues to bring that person into every contest, and this will continue unless he actually acts as a decoy and gets out to a pocket or flank.

Is Hill the automatic hard tag?

Personally I'd be trying to negate Mundy, play Hill closely but Mundy to me is the one that I want with the ball in his hand.

Yeah tough call. I think sides these days need to be able to adapt to a specific game. If conditions are good you can't let the likes of Hill, Motlop etc, just roam around on the outside unmanned. They'll turn nothing situations into scoring opportunities over, and over again.

I don't think we have a legitimate 'tagger' anyway. Not like Crowley anyway. Taylor Hunt is only a run with player. Never puts any real physical pressure on. A waste of space if you will.

Funnily enough that Freo supporter I offered the ticket had much the same attitude - he agrees that if you guys won two more games we'd play you there at YOUR home ground, so why not. And we offered as many tickets as usually get offered to finals opponents there. (He actually commented how it was generous really from 33,000.)

I suppose all clubs have some idiot supporters but the collective whining and blaming Geelong is a bit bloody monotonous. It seems to be an epidemic there at the moment.

(Oh and for the whiny guy with the time difference - I would have MUCH rather had the opportunity at 7am - I had a meeting at 9.00am Monday morning because I have a "job". But ... blame Copernicus - I think he was the idiot who first reckoned the world might be round.)

Yeah sorry 'bout that. But the truth had to come out...

Time to make the hard call on Bartel. J Hunt and Guthrie are better options in the back half particularly against the smaller forwards that are ripping us apart. In addition their disposal is far better than Bartel, who lately manages to turn over at least one goal a week with poor disposal. Bartel in the back line is not, and has not been successful. On the ball or in the forward line is a different story.

The call will not be made on Hawkins, but is should be. Freo will have a day out launching attack after attack from their back half, and if his only value is bringing it to ground, if he actually make the contest, this is of little value. The theory of getting the best backman is flawed because he continues to bring that person into every contest, and this will continue unless he actually acts as a decoy and gets out to a pocket or flank.

Are you ****ing shitting me??!!!
Yeah, let's trade that spud Selwood while we're at it too! Worst call ever made on BF.

Who said I was having a go at Geelong? I believe I made it abundantly clear that I was angry with the AFL. Did you mention chips?

Is anybody going to talk about the game? Can we discuss the apparent inconsistency in attitude toward Crowley limiting Selwood's influence on the game versus that of Hunt on Hill? The mystery involved in the final 22? Whether Hawkins will play versus whether McPharlin will play? How we're going to keep all of our players out of the MRP next week?

Or did you just want to keep baiting me?
Easy...just tell your sniping, dog players to play football. Or not...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ludicrous.
Displays complete and utter ignorance of what role Bartel has played this season, as a behind the ball attacker, and a crucial element in our main goal-scoring source, namely half-back turnovers.

I mustn't know enough about your mob, but I'd be pretty happy if Bartel and Hawkins missed out. And I thought T. Hunt did a pretty good job on Hill previously (don't need a tight, physical tagger to keep him quiet usually).

Who would you have run with Hill? Guthrie?

Guys like Danyle Pearce and Hill will be very handy for us given the dimensions of SS, and the intensity of the midfield battle and the zoning that both teams will employ. Midfield run will be critical. You'll need someone to mind at least one of them.

Legitimate.

If we play Taylor Hunt this week it will only enhance Fremantle's ability to win the game. I truly believe that and won't be swayed. He's been awful, just awful since his injury. His performance is clearly dependant on the team.

When we played Freo early in the year, it was a demolition. We controlled it from start to finish. The score should have looked worse for Fremantle. So, the variables the way they were, Crowley's job on Selwood proved to be a huge win for him and the club. A fantastic tagging effort. Tagging is very easy if your club is in control, extremely hard if not. Especially on a player the calibre of Selwood.

On T.Hunt. The conditions last time were not in favour of players like Hill. Add to this the fact that Fremantle had very few opportunities to win the ball and pass it off to runners. Hunt had the easiest job of the day. To use this as a reason to pick him for this game is utter stupidity.

And what of the Final last year? I distinctly recall Hill carving us to bits. Hunt play on him that night? Well, it doesn't matter. Chris Scott is going to take us into the finals with a bloke who has underperformed for 80% of the year and a backline susceptible to being dominated by smalls. By choice I might add.

I have to admit to not watching the cats for a few weeks, so I guess i'm fairly uneducated. However, it does surprise me to hear your comments regarding T Hunt. He smashed Hilly earlier in the season and I was going into this game assuming minimal impact from our player. What role(s) has Hunt been playing for him to be so awful? Have they been run with and if so who has actually towelled him up?

Ludicrous.
Displays complete and utter ignorance of what role Bartel has played this season, as a behind the ball attacker, and a crucial element in our main goal-scoring source, namely half-back turnovers.

Drop him on form. Best on ground last week. Not good enough.

I have to admit to not watching the cats for a few weeks, so I guess i'm fairly uneducated. However, it does surprise me to hear your comments regarding T Hunt. He smashed Hilly earlier in the season and I was going into this game assuming minimal impact from our player. What role(s) has Hunt been playing for him to be so awful? Have they been run with and if so who has actually towelled him up?

I've been watching them - Hunt and Hawkins are out of form.

Good players can turn it around though - it is the question of do you take the chance. McPharlin is well short of a gallop, Hawkins in significantly reduces the defensive mobility of that unit - so I'm hoping he plays.

Hunt - gees he held Hill last time and I know it's a pretty different playing group but if Hill is the Cats target ....you'd be tempted to roll the dice.

No Hawkins means we would probably omit Silvagni and add another runner in a Sherridan or Sutcliffe....is an important team sheet for us.

Plus drop Bartel - yep and we'll drop that bloody Barlow character ......

Might partly agree on Hawkins but the day ut depends on the quality of our smaller forwards and the quAlity of forward entries. If the ball is right then Hawk can bring it to ground and then our fun starts. If it's not to advantage we have problems.

I think you're seriously misunderstanding what Bartel has been doing down back. If you don't want him there, you might have the option of moving him onto the ball ... But drop him? You serious? That's a Planet Zork idea!!

He ran with Hill that day, I don't consider him a tagger. Like I said, look at the variables... Hill wouldn't have had an impact that day, even if left alone. It was simply not a game he could get into. We locked that ball down for most of the game, it was about contests, not ball movement. The game was played in bad conditions too.

Hunt has not only struggled to stop the damage his opponent has done, he's just so rarely involved in the game. I tell people all the time, when you go to a game watch him and him only for 10 minutes. He follows his man, 2 -3 metres off, and just runs into the wrong areas or around in circles. His possession count for a midfielder is atrocious. His overall value as a player is minimal. He's playing because of Chris Scott's bias, nothing more. Hasn't improved at all in 2 years.

I mustn't know enough about your mob, but I'd be pretty happy if Bartel and Hawkins missed out. And I thought T. Hunt did a pretty good job on Hill previously (don't need a tight, physical tagger to keep him quiet usually).

Who would you have run with Hill? Guthrie?

Guys like Danyle Pearce and Hill will be very handy for us given the dimensions of SS, and the intensity of the midfield battle and the zoning that both teams will employ. Midfield run will be critical. You'll need someone to mind at least one of them.
Correct. I think you know plenty :cool:

He ran with Hill that day, I don't consider him a tagger. Like I said, look at the variables... Hill wouldn't have had an impact that day, even if left alone. It was simply not a game he could get into. We locked that ball down for most of the game, it was about contests, not ball movement. The game was played in bad conditions too.

Hunt has not only struggled to stop the damage his opponent has done, he's just so rarely involved in the game. I tell people all the time, when you go to a game watch him and him only for 10 minutes. He follows his man, 2 -3 metres off, and just runs into the wrong areas or around in circles. His possession count for a midfielder is atrocious. His overall value as a player is minimal. He's playing because of Chris Scott's bias, nothing more. Hasn't improved at all in 2 years.

Thanks mate. Fair call regarding the last time they met not being conduscive to Hill's game style.

For the record if you guys are good enough for Bartel not to be in the 22 then the flag is as good as yours.

I think you lost that clarity (and any credibility) when you started threatening to burn your tickets on OUR site. It wasn't the AFL's, it was ours. You weren't talking footy, you were talking rubbish. If you now want to talk footy that's fine but I don't think anyone gives a rats if you burn your tickets. It'd be funnier watching you burn $100 note though

Off to work!

Different threads my good man. Just keeping on topic.

If you don't end up picking Hawkins in the forward line... then who/how many talls do you go with down there? Pods and the forward/2nd ruck (Vardy) as just the two? And then run with small/medium sized forwards and high forwards in the other four spots?

Or do you pick a third tall?

Or leave a set third tall out, pick Rivers in the backline and swing Taylor forward for a patch if you think you need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back