Preview AFL 2nd Qualifying Final - Geelong v Fremantle, Simonds Stadium, 2:20PM Saturday 7 September

Predict the margin at full time:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i booked my 2 club member tickets at around 9:15. Received a confirmation via email but still no tickets in my email..

Anyone else get this?
Yeah same, and checking my Ticketmaster order history nothing appears.

I wonder if the problem with ticketmaster comes down to some Freo flogger hacking the system and deciding that if Freo can't play where they want then no one can attend this game? :confused:

It will just be due to the traffic. I'm in the same boat...it's no big deal. The only minor irritation is I just went for best available tickets and didn't even stop to check where they were, just wanted to make sure I got seats as quickly as possible, assuming the tickets would be coming straight through. So I've got seats, but wouldn't have a clue where. Does anyone know which section(s) are category 1?

Saturday 7 September

Summary
showers.png
Min 9
Max 15
Possible shower.​
Geelong and Surf Coast area

Partly cloudy. Isolated showers. Winds westerly 20 to 30 km/h tending southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h during the morning.

Excellent.

Well, if nothing else we've found a hunt hater. Been going on for months.
Sits cleanly aside Meto and Varcoe.

You definitely need to specify 'Taylor' there. I reckon CatFan79 is probably J.Hunt's biggest supporter on here and I'd even suspect it's probably the reason for the comments on Poodle: that he got a game ahead of J.Hunt when Guthrie pulled out. Not an outrageous call, to be honest.

I got my tickets at 9.15 and received the confimation shortly after but no tickets yet am in the the Reg Hickey stand

You definitely need to specify 'Taylor' there. I reckon CatFan79 is probably J.Hunt's biggest supporter on here and I'd even suspect it's probably the reason for the comments on Poodle: that he got a game ahead of J.Hunt when Guthrie pulled out. Not an outrageous call, to be honest.

That 'call' made by Chris Scott made no sense at all..

Josh Hunt had a role in the side this year that he did exceptionally well.. Sorry to trash your theory but Taylor isn't taking Josh Hunt's role, that's for sure, Guthrie and Rivers are..

I have no problem with Guthrie, he will probably be a future gun, he's improved a lot this year and I understand his selection over Josh's. Rivers is in the side to provide flexibility for Taylor to go forward given Hawkins inability to do, well, anything..

But Chris Scott must see potential in Taylor Hunt because he couldn't possibly be getting a game based on anything else.. Whatever it is, I don't see it. I have mates who pump up 'poodle's' tyres too, but I watch him closely and his disposal is average at best, he always looks lost, doesn't know where to run to get the ball and is often poor defensively.

I had the same discussion on this forum about Tenace back in the day with a few people on here.. He got pumped up a lot too, was given chances, had a few good games but was never consistent enough..

Seriously though, for a bloke who's played 3 good games and 11 very average/poor games this year he gets a good run from you all..

Wouldn't have thought that Enright or Rivers would have the agility to go with Ballas or Walters.

Boris has held Cyril on several occasions and Cyril is a god compared to anyone else in the league - just listen to his press all the time - Im sure Boris could do the job. And as the pissant only goes one way, Boris could really hurt him running off.

Go Catters

That 'call' made by Chris Scott made no sense at all..

Josh Hunt had a role in the side this year that he did exceptionally well.. Sorry to trash your theory but Taylor isn't taking Josh Hunt's role, that's for sure, Guthrie and Rivers are..

I have no problem with Guthrie, he will probably be a future gun, he's improved a lot this year and I understand his selection over Josh's. Rivers is in the side to provide flexibility for Taylor to go forward given Hawkins inability to do, well, anything..

But Chris Scott must see potential in Taylor Hunt because he couldn't possibly be getting a game based on anything else.. Whatever it is, I don't see it. I have mates who pump up 'poodle's' tyres too, but I watch him closely and his disposal is average at best, he always looks lost, doesn't know where to run to get the ball and is often poor defensively.

I had the same discussion on this forum about Tenace back in the day with a few people on here.. He got pumped up a lot too, was given chances, had a few good games but was never consistent enough..

Seriously though, for a bloke who's played 3 good games and 11 very average/poor games this year he gets a good run from you all..

Like I said, it's a fair enough position on your part. Not saying that Poodle will take Josh's position in the team, but it's obvious that it was a T.Hunt/anyone else currently in the VFL decision, when Guthrie went out, so yes, in this instance they did choose Taylor over Josh. It was clearly a decision in favour of a guy who will be at the club next year (and hopefully in five years), over a guy who is probably going to be elsewhere in 2014. Mackie could have moved up the ground to open up Josh's spot in the back pocket easily enough.

Besides his form following his mid-season return this year, I think Poodle has been a solid player for us over his career. But I am concerned that when he has played the majority of a season, his form has tailed off towards the end (2011 and this year especially). I really don't think he gets that good a run from people on here: has anyone said that he won't/shouldn't be dropped for the QF? Along with Guthrie, I thought he was probably our most underrated young player heading into the season, when compared to players like Christensen, Duncan, Vardy and Smedts. He got injured, came back, played poorly, got his chances (far too many, I think everyone would agree) to turn his form around, eventually got dropped, came back last week and still didn't look like best 22 material. If anything, I felt/feel sorry for him. It can't be easy for a player to continue to be picked in the AFL team, when he can't do much right when he's out there. The best thing for him would have been for him to get a spell after the Melbourne game. I think he's got a lot of ability and I hope he can turn it around, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen in 2013.

Anyway, all I said was that I think your big issue with Poodle was that he got a game ahead of J.Hunt. Which doesn't seem too far off the mark, given your response. I don't have a problem with that. But I can also see why they persisted with him, even though it may have been harming him in the long run.

Unfortunately not. Do you think it might be my computer? I have a Mac. I'm tempted to start it gain but I don't want to lose my place in the queue

I have had issues on Macs before with them... sorry to say.... Which is stupid..

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Match ups are pretty important in this game.

Guthrie has to come back in. I'm happy with him on Ballantyne or Walters.
I think Harry might go to Pavlich...
Might leave Lonergan with no obvious match up, unless Zac Clarke starts forward?

Who do people think will match up on Mayne?
I rate him. Works hard, attacks the contest, good mark for his size.
Will they set him for a defensive task on Mackie or Enright? Has he done that before..?

I'm happy with T.Hunt on S.Hill IF he plays (note I said if). Maybe Motlop to go head to head with him?
Mundy & Fyfe always seem to do well against us. How can we negate their influence..?
What's our ruck combo? West/Vardy, West/Blicavs, Vardy/Blicvas.
Tough call but I think I prefer the first.

So many questions...

They didn't have Mundy, Barlow, Pavlich or Sandilands in Rd 14 so I'm definitely not underestimating them like many people did last year...

Sorry, but I just don't rate Taylor Hunt on output or potential. He's a complete liability at present, but I also fail to see much in the way of upside. An extremely limited player. Sure, it's conceivable he could elevate his game to the point where he becomes a Liam Picken/Clint Jones-esque Consistently Decent AFL Footballer, but he has way too many deficiencies in his game to ever be the type of midfielder everyone wants him to be.

I am the same as most, got the confirmation but waiting for the tickets to come through. However, my allocation is "SECTION BAYSCU". Does this mean anything to anyone. I am assuming it is Social Club Upper....

Sorry, but I just don't rate Taylor Hunt on output or potential. He's a complete liability at present, but I also fail to see much in the way of upside. An extremely limited player. Sure, it's conceivable he could elevate his game to the point where he becomes a Liam Picken/Clint Jones-esque Consistently Decent AFL Footballer, but he has way too many deficiencies in his game to ever be the type of midfielder everyone wants him to be.

You must be a Josh Hunt lover

No he hasn't. His best return was 4 against Gold Coast this year - his first game of the season. Otherwise his only multiple goal game this year was against North, when he kicked 2.

He's almost becoming the Geelong version of Cyril Rioli, people are rating him on what they would like him to be doing, instead of what he actually is doing. He still hasn't played 20 games; he needs a lot more development yet. Hopefully we can get a good game in the ruck from him on Saturday.
:oops: should check my stats could swear he kicked 5 against gc but your right. Must be confusing some of his VFL performances with AFL.

I'm not sure he gets that much of a good run.
He probably gets some benefit of the doubt as he has only played 50 games.

And I'm not that fussed on whether he plays this week or not. UNLESS, it is true that he played on Hill in rnd 14.
If that's the case he just has to play.

It will just be due to the traffic. I'm in the same boat...it's no big deal. The only minor irritation is I just went for best available tickets and didn't even stop to check where they were, just wanted to make sure I got seats as quickly as possible, assuming the tickets would be coming straight through. So I've got seats, but wouldn't have a clue where. Does anyone know which section(s) are category 1?
Unfortunately category 1 covers around 80% of the ground... your confirmation email lists the tickets I think.... just doesn't have the bloody things with it

Selwood should take Crowley forward

I hope so. Selwood's a terrific player, and has been in great form.

Taking him out of the midfield and plonking him in the forward line would be a win for us I reckon.

But I reckon he'll want another shot at Crowley, and will have a better showing this time. Parking him in the forward line isn't likely to end up advantaging you folks if he stays down there for a lot of the game.

One less A grader around the ball will give our guys a better chance of winning what will be a crucial midfield battle.

Boris has held Cyril on several occasions and Cyril is a god compared to anyone else in the league - just listen to his press all the time - Im sure Boris could do the job. And as the pissant only goes one way, Boris could really hurt him running off.

Go Catters

You're saying Balla only runs one way? His defensive pressure is very good. Keep an eye on him on Saturday... you'll see he works damn hard without the ball.

As for your match-ups, I think Guthrie and Enright are pretty decent match-ups. They'll struggle to shut both of them completely out of the game, but if you can stay on top in the midfield that'll really help. Will be fierce in the midfield on Saturday.

I hope so. Selwood's a terrific player, and has been in great form.

Taking him out of the midfield and plonking him in the forward line would be a win for us I reckon.

But I reckon he'll want another shot at Crowley, and will have a better showing this time. Parking him in the forward line isn't likely to end up advantaging you folks if he stays down there for a lot of the game.

One less A grader around the ball will give our guys a better chance of winning what will be a crucial midfield battle.

Not if he kicks 4 goals like he has a couple of times in the last few weeks... it's one area that Joel has really improved this year is kicking goals and getting dangerous forward

You're saying Balla only runs one way? His defensive pressure is very good. Keep an eye on him on Saturday... you'll see he works damn hard without the ball.

As for your match-ups, I think Guthrie and Enright are pretty decent match-ups. They'll struggle to shut both of them completely out of the game, but if you can stay on top in the midfield that'll really help. Will be fierce in the midfield on Saturday.

Half on the battle with Balla it's not getting sucked into his niggling bullshit..if we do that like last time he will go into hiding without his home crowd behind him and becomes a lot less dangerous
I'm not saying he isn't a good player..but he gets off on getting a reaction and almost feeds off it...so we need to not give him one

Yeah I think Ballantyne does work hard, one of the better pressuring small forwards. Mayne too.

Good call though. The midfield is where it's at. As we saw in Rd 14 and as you guys have done all year, when the ball stays in your fwd half and you limit the supply to the opposition, their fwds can't have much of an effect on the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back