Preview AFL 2nd Semi Final - Geelong v Fremantle, MCG, Friday 10 September 7:45PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL 2nd Semi Final - Geelong v Fremantle/Hawthorn, TBA

I can't believe we are playing this at the MCG.

62,000 for Geelong v St Kilda in a qualifying final on a Friday night with a lot of neutrals? We'll be lucky to get 35,000 against Fremantle in a semi.

I think it would be ridiculous if we couldn't get 50,000 for a final. Oh well too bad I can't be there to make up a number.

Think we should win this fairly comfortably.

Re: AFL 2nd Semi Final - Geelong v Fremantle, MCG, Saturday 10 September 7:45PM

Freos record in Melb this year is pretty ordinary. We should do pretty good.

Freos record in Melb this year is pretty ordinary. We should do pretty good.

Freo's record at the MCG in particular is pretty ordinary, but then, so is ours. We've lost something like 4 out of the last 6 there if I remember rightly.

I'm not one for knee-jerk reactions, or change for the sake of it, but we've looked slow at times through the year, looked slow again against St Kilda, while Freo showed good pace against the Hawks. Granted, the hawks are slow, but the Dockers still looked quick.

Therefore, I think it can be argued that Bomber should at least consider thinking outside the square with his team selection this Friday.

He was extremely angry after the Saints game, questioning the desire, commitment and selection status of certain players.Most importantly, his anger seemed to be very controlled and focused. I hope he uses this controlled anger when reviewing the eligibility of each player for this weeks game.

Conventional thinking dictates young players do not have the composure for finals football and therefore should not be considered, but I'm not sure this necessarily holds so true anymore. Football has become extremely professional, and as a consequence younger players seem better equipped and able to step up and handle the expectations and pressure.

Case in point:

T Hunt has shown extraordinary composure in his games to date, and although finals are different to H & A games, I have no doubt he'd step up to the occasion. He has added something to our backline each time he's played, displaying pace, awareness and composure, which would all be welcome additions to our current side.

Now I'm not saying he should be an automatic selection, but I am saying that our side needs an injection of pace, enthusiasm and a bit of re-newed competition for a place in the side to re-invigorate the players desire.

If there was ever a time during the finals to inject some youth and pace into the side, I'd argue this week is it. Freo are a young side themselves, and do not carry the tag of a 'heavier-bodied' side that is often used to deny the selection of younger players.

This week we need to play west, and play him on sandilands if he plays as a forward. There is no need for Blake if sandilands plays as a forward, and restricted by his knee.

Further we need to look at corey playing back for the next 3 games, and coming into games with an extra mid. Corey or Kelly down back adds awesome presence.

Josh Hunt's position could be under threat to bring in a Taylor Hunt to give us greater run. Wojo and Varcoe are our most important players for their run.

It seems we can't carry Varcoe and Byrnes without more run, or tackles that stick. Varcoe's tackles don't stick.

Blake can't play against a mobile a ruckman. He gave us nothing against the Saints, where his superior ruckwork should have been dominant. I just saw McEnvoy getting heaps of the ball.

There should be a couple of spots where we need to rotate players based on who we are playing. But what we need is an extra quality mid, as it also allows ling to go forward.

Ahhh, Rooke to come back would be awesome

I'm not saying I hate Stokes or Corey. I like Stokes and I love Corey

But if anyone watched the Dogs v Pies match last night and didn't think "Holy shit, we can't beat this mob without some more speed, chase and tackle" doesn't understand the modern game

Collingwood commits as many players as they possibly can to where the ball is. They chase desperately, get to the contest and OUTNUMBER their opponent, lay a lot of tackles, and then once they've turned the ball over they turn on the jets

We need some more speed, chase and tackling and we need to drop the players that aren't up for that. You watch Friday nights game and you see Corey and Stokes trotting up the ground pretending they're chasing. Watch last nights game and see every single magpie sprinting desperately to get at the man with the ball or cover the next kick down the line.

And while it's not all about stats, I think we need more from Stokes and Corey than 1 tackle between the two of them. You think Stokes did a good job as a small forward???

Adam Schenider - 6 tackles
Stephen Milne - 7 tackles

This week we need to play west, and play him on sandilands if he plays as a forward. There is no need for Blake if sandilands plays as a forward, and restricted by his knee.

Further we need to look at corey playing back for the next 3 games, and coming into games with an extra mid. Corey or Kelly down back adds awesome presence.

Josh Hunt's position could be under threat to bring in a Taylor Hunt to give us greater run. Wojo and Varcoe are our most important players for their run.

It seems we can't carry Varcoe and Byrnes without more run, or tackles that stick. Varcoe's tackles don't stick.

Blake can't play against a mobile a ruckman. He gave us nothing against the Saints, where his superior ruckwork should have been dominant. I just saw McEnvoy getting heaps of the ball.

There should be a couple of spots where we need to rotate players based on who we are playing. But what we need is an extra quality mid, as it also allows ling to go forward.

Ahhh, Rooke to come back would be awesome

Josh Hunt's game Friday night was disappointing, but that aside, I think he's played pretty good all year. On that basis, I'd forgive him the last game and keep the faith in his form / pride to hold his place in the side.

Same with Varcoe. He's had a good year, and we need his pace. Maybe he's got a bit to learn with his tackling, but boy, do you remember him chasing Buddy down on the wing a few weeks back? Brilliant.

Blake, Corey and Byrnes are hard to evaluate right now...........

Blake - he can win his share of taps, and some will argue we need him
against Sandilands. But he didn't offer much on Friday night, and
like many, I have concerns about his inability to offer more around
the ground. I think thats going to be crucial against a running side
like Freo.

Corey - he's been a magnificent servant of the club and I don't doubt his
ability, but he seems to have lost something of late.

Byrnes - does some good things in bursts, but consistency seems to be an issue. Do we hold the faith with him?

When was the last time we played an interstate club in Melbourne?? I remember playing Freo in a NAB cup game at Etihad a couple of years ago, and I think Brisbane there as well. But it doesn't happen very often. I'm interested to see what the crowd/atmosphere will be like. The game will have an odd feel to it.

The key to this game, and any others should we progress past this week, is re-discovering our pace with the ball.

Our best is played with a fast, continuous play-on style, whereby we are quick to the ball, and rapid with movement of the ball by hand and foot.

We still have the ability to move the ball quickly, but we are often being beaten to the ball now, as Father Time takes its toll on our older players. This is a factor often overlooked when analysing contested possessions etc.

I think our players still have the spirit, but in some cases, their bodies are weakening as they begin to tire with age and fatigue. Its hard to win your share of the ball when as often as not you begin to arrive second.

The SAS have the motto 'Who Dares, Wins' and I think we might have to dare a little bit if we are to go all the way. Yes, it'd be courageous to replace experience with youth, but it should at least be considered.

The key to this game, and any others should we progress past this week, is re-discovering our pace with the ball.

Our best is played with a fast, continuous play-on style, whereby we are quick to the ball, and rapid with movement of the ball by hand and foot.

We still have the ability to move the ball quickly, but we are often being beaten to the ball now, as Father Time takes its toll on our older players. This is a factor often overlooked when analysing contested possessions etc.

I think our players still have the spirit, but in some cases, their bodies are weakening as they begin to tire with age and fatigue. Its hard to win your share of the ball when as often as not you begin to arrive second.

The SAS have the motto 'Who Dares, Wins' and I think we might have to dare a little bit if we are to go all the way. Yes, it'd be courageous to replace experience with youth, but it should at least be considered.

two questions

st kilda have an older list on paper than we do so why isnt age getting the better of them ?

are blokes that have played less than 10 games of footy going to be able to contribute in a final against stkilda and collingwood who apply so much pressure ?

in my opinion the 1st thing we need to do is apply as much pressure to the opposition as they do to us

I didn't know where to post this so here it is. To the Geelong supporter that was thrown out on Friday night sitting in N13 Row F for the most disgusting language I have heard at a game, serves you right. You are an embaressment to our club and I hope you never get into a game again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't just have to be considered. It has to be done or we just won't win the flag this year.

We can beat Freo with the same team as the other night. But we won't beat Collingwood or St Kilda

We have an over-abundance of slow midfielders and they cannot all play. So out of Kelly, Selwood, Chapman, Bartel, Ling, and Corey at least 1 of them has to miss.

We can find another 1 or 2 spots in some other parts of the side - I'm looking at Blake and/or Hawkins. I've also said earlier that Stokes isn't contributing enough to forward pressure so he should go out in my view

What we can't do is take the easy way out and replace a quick player like Byrnes or Wojo with a quick player. That doesn't ADD any pace to the side. The net effect is zero

We need to drop some slower players and put faster younger players in. It just has to be done.

And let's face it they will have to do it very soon anyway. It might as well be done while we still have a chance to win the flag. Let's not lose this year's premiership and the bulb flickers on and then everyone realises "OH Yeah, we need some more speed!"

two questions

st kilda have an older list on paper than we do so why isnt age getting the better of them ?

are blokes that have played less than 10 games of footy going to be able to contribute in a final against stkilda and collingwood who apply so much pressure ?

in my opinion the 1st thing we need to do is apply as much pressure to the opposition as they do to us

You raise a good point re: age - maybe its as much mental fatigue as physical? They've been 'up' for a while now, and had to cope with being the hunted week in, week out.

I'm not saying younger players as such are an automatic fix, but their youthful enthusiasm, pace and energy should at least be considered as one way of re-invigorating the side.

For what it's worth, I think T Hunt would be able to handle the occasion.

I didn't know where to post this so here it is. To the Geelong supporter that was thrown out on Friday night sitting in N13 Row F for the most disgusting language I have heard at a game, serves you right. You are an embaressment to our club and I hope you never get into a game again.

it wasnt me, but to be fair after 'that' call on friday i vented a little.

plenty of c's and f's flying around like a dunken sailor.

dont worry about the kiddies or anyone else, it builds character.;)

Last time i checked, you can still kick a football faster than you can run.

We don't need to stack our lines with pacy types - Taylor Hunt may well win a place, but lets not panic. Just remember we techinically won the game against the saints!!!

Lonergan was a bad exclusion - St Kilda beat us via contested marking, inparticular Kosi, Riewoldt and Milne. NO excuses there, Hunt was ordinary, but we know he can play better....We missed having Lonergan to play tighter on a Kosi or Riewoldt. I love Harry, but he can be exposed if he constantly plays on the super forwards without break....thats why Lonners is important.

We just need to get back to our basics....move the ball quick, play without hesitation and put your freakin' head over it at all costs. I am sure we will bounce back....but we need to be the hunter now and we need to step up.

Jpod back in, Lonnergan back in....Blake out, Byrnes out. Hawkins as mobile ruck....we will be good to go.

Kozi didnt get a touch after the first quarter, he had Scarlett's measure first up but got owned for the rest of the night. If Taylor struggled on Roo, i doubt Lonners would have done much better.

The balance was right (with Byrnes in, Lonners out), we only just lost and I feel that it reflects how close Pies, Saints and Cats are and only a goal or two seperates them.

If Sandilands doesnt pull up, straight swap jPod for Blake. If he does, then we might have to make the tough call on Hawkins. Other than that I don't see any reason to make drastic changes based on a 4 point loss to a potential Premier.

It doesn't just have to be considered. It has to be done or we just won't win the flag this year.

We can beat Freo with the same team as the other night. But we won't beat Collingwood or St Kilda

We have an over-abundance of slow midfielders and they cannot all play. So out of Kelly, Selwood, Chapman, Bartel, Ling, and Corey at least 1 of them has to miss.

We can find another 1 or 2 spots in some other parts of the side - I'm looking at Blake and/or Hawkins. I've also said earlier that Stokes isn't contributing enough to forward pressure so he should go out in my view

What we can't do is take the easy way out and replace a quick player like Byrnes or Wojo with a quick player. That doesn't ADD any pace to the side. The net effect is zero

We need to drop some slower players and put faster younger players in. It just has to be done.

And let's face it they will have to do it very soon anyway. It might as well be done while we still have a chance to win the flag. Let's not lose this year's premiership and the bulb flickers on and then everyone realises "OH Yeah, we need some more speed!"

I'm inclined to agree with most of your comments.

I don't think Kelly, Selwood, Chapman or Bartel will come under review, and at this stage I don't think they should. Simply too much class and experience there, and it is a core around which a new class of youngsters can be taught and groomed.

Ling and Corey? Hmmm.

Ling has as much class as the others and has been a fantastic in his time. However, his role as tagger is reliant on his ability to stay with his opponent, and his declining speed is beginning to limit his effectiveness in a game that now revolves around high speed and rotations.

Corey too has as much class as the others, and has been an unsung champion throughout his career. Sadly, his effectiveness too has been reduced as a lingering knee problem counters his ability to cope with the speed of the game.

Stokes has an ability to kick goals but is not consistent enough, and he too is not the future.

Blake can offer a tap advantage, but he simply doesn't do enough around the ground. You can't carry players in finals, and until he learns to play forward and around the ground a la Sandilands and Mumford etc thats what we'll be doing.

Hawkins is part of the future, and I think its important to show some faith and keep playing him. He has a lot to learn, but there's only one way to do it. I don't doubt his endeavour, and believe he'll be more than serviceable in years to come.

Yes to the first point, not so much to the second. The reality is while some of our players are slowing up (Corey in particular) and that's an issue, we have never been a quick side...don't confuse 'quick side' with 'quick ball movement' which is what we have always had. If we still play on at all costs and move the ball quick (inlcuding at times going longer instead of lateral handballs) we will be able to cover our lack of leg speed, it's only when we don't play on, be static, and then can't the ball out of our defensive 50, as we did friday night, that we look slow. We must be bold, brave, and attack.

As for team selection, the main 'slow ups' are Ling and Corey...Ling showed on friday night he can still play a role though, particularly forward of the ball with his marking and tackling and his pace is less exploited the other way. Similarly, we need to find a role for Corey that manages the same thing, I understand the calls for someone like him to go for Taylor Hunt, and to a certain extent they're spot on, but it won't happen. The only players considered for changes this week will be Pods and Lonergan, Bomber doesn't have a history of dumping senior players for kids in finals and he won't start now.

Last time i checked, you can still kick a football faster than you can run.

We don't need to stack our lines with pacy types - Taylor Hunt may well win a place, but lets not panic. Just remember we techinically won the game against the saints!!!

Lonergan was a bad exclusion - St Kilda beat us via contested marking, inparticular Kosi, Riewoldt and Milne. NO excuses there, Hunt was ordinary, but we know he can play better....We missed having Lonergan to play tighter on a Kosi or Riewoldt. I love Harry, but he can be exposed if he constantly plays on the super forwards without break....thats why Lonners is important.

We just need to get back to our basics....move the ball quick, play without hesitation and put your freakin' head over it at all costs. I am sure we will bounce back....but we need to be the hunter now and we need to step up.

Jpod back in, Lonnergan back in....Blake out, Byrnes out. Hawkins as mobile ruck....we will be good to go.

Last time I checked you had to run fast to get into space or chase someone down

No panic - we can still win this one - a week at a time.

The question is how do we play better in a week. We were outplayed against the Saints.

It is a big call to make changes at this late stage - but for me Pods straight back in.

If we play Hawkins as second ruck - then Blake goes out for Pods IMO. Hawkins should not play forward - not up to it yet.

Will Lonergan play ? If so who comes out ? I also like the idea of a bit more pace - but Byrnes did not make much difference last game. Nor did Wojo.

It will never happen - but I like the idea of THunt in and that means Bynes out. I like the way he runs straight at the ball or ball carrier.

Very hard selections to make and I trust GFC makes the right calls. Let's not be too conservative - as we will keep 90-95 % of the team we had V the Saints - but a little tinkering may help ?

I can't believe the calls for Stokes' head! I thought if anything he confirmed his place in the starting 18 (not just the 22). It's hardly his fault when the ball was kicked to him on a 2v1 (with the 2 being 190cm+). So he missed a getable shot for goal, the fact he earned the shot was his attack on the ball. Stats are deceptive sometimes, what no one seems to notice from Stokes are the shepherds and other 1% that don't get recorded. Bomber loves him (as does the rest of the team) because they recognise what he does for the team.

And the fact is he's paid to kick those goals. We're not talking about a 50m shot from the boundary line, we're talking about an absolutely regulation set shot from 25m out, that once more he failed to convert.

Looking forward to this game.

Freo won't give us much of a bruising encounter, the way the Hawks would have, but they'll try to run us off our feet. They have some very fast players - I love watching Hill play.

McPharlin and Grover are good key defenders but I can't pick out whether they have a third quality tall - Pods will be a welcome addition and if Moons can keep up his strong marking from Friday we'll be looking good up forward.

Anybody have an idea who Ling will tag? Teams have tagged Hill in recent weeks but there's no way Lingy could keep up with him. Mundy was excellent yesterday - so maybe him?

McPhee has tagged Judd and Hodge out of games this year, and almost crossed the line a la Baker with his 'unsociable' tactics, so our midfield should be prepared to work hard to support whoever McPhee is on. I can't imagine him containing Ablett, but could imagine him going to Selwood.

Sandilands will surely be hampered by that knee injury but I hope he doesn't spend too much time forward, as I can't see who we have to stop him.
The fact Freo doesn't have a specialist second ruckman makes me think a straight swap of Podsiadly for Blake is on the cards. Both Hawkins for us and Johnson for them can drift forward and take a mark, so Ottens has a big job to do his best in the centre square and at the very least, run Sandilands into the ground and test out that knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back