AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure he didn't want to be swamped by people straight after a game. You could see how happy he was when he was being carried off and was clapping to all the supporters there.

As expected the Tigers put 10 goals on us at Watsons but didnt get it all their own way. Lot to like about how both teams try to play but if they are the second best team in the comp, Saints could have another record with largest winning grand final margin (that really hurts to say...). If Daniel Lewis was afforded "protected species" status by officials similar to Walsh & we strengthen to enable delivery of consistant, quality ball to him, he has the potential to kick 150 in 2013. I just hope half the blokes who are talking of coming to the Lions next year show up & we will play finals. Jason Roe is a quality coach, he has been excellent this year at the helm& is very hungry for success next season.

Anyway, good luck to all the teams in the finals, except Saints because they clearly dont need it.

Everyone needs luck come finals time. Im sure Port in the ressies last year,and the seniors the year before and then Souths wouldn't have minded some luck after having great seasons till the GF. Lewis is a quality player and better ball to him will make a huge difference but 150 i have my doubts. I reckon even Walsh himself would think he doesn't get the free kicks he deserves so protected species is a bit harsh.
On form it should be Saints v Norths GF day but a surprise always comes,especially in the 2's with clubs dropping people back. Anyone agree with me and think it should be harder to qualify for ressies finals. 5 games if a player plays more than 3 senior games doesnt seem enough for me.

Tamba - it was great to see the South supporters congratulating Walshy and hanging around for a beer afterwards. Lance and co are doing a good job representing the club down there and many Saints supporters commented on it afterwards.

If the team can find 3 more Daniel Lock's they would be going alright.

We all have our ways of congratulating Matt on breaking the record and as he would say it is a nice personal achievement but the ball doesn't get down there by itself, plus finals start this week so other things are on his mind. A handshake, a moment with his young family and a few quiet beers is all he would have wanted. Not much gets mentioned and the focus is on the team, but on the weekend you could see the boys were pretty keen to kick it in his direction.

Lewis and Gill would both be capable of kicking 120 given the right circumstances. It would be harder for Walsh if Lions improved as much as you say because a lot of his goals came against weaker sides (like Lions). The stronger the competition is, the harder it would be to kick big bags week-in week-out.

With 2 or 3 games left for the Saints, can Gill kick the ton too? Been a while since I saw two player on the same team kick tons and as far as I know, Gill hasn't done it before.

Walshy says he doesn't want to make a fuss about things, but pretty sure he had a new haircut on Saturday.

The stronger the competition is, the harder it would be to kick big bags week-in week-out.

Exactly. The competition was a bit stiffer in 1999, not to take anything from Walshy, hes clearly a quality player and very deserving of the accolade, but I understand why he isn't over hyping this, its not like hes playing against real quality opposition every week. Good ball movement, and weak opposition will let a forward like him dominate every year. Hopefully the tiges put some mean bastard on him.

Games this week -

Saints over Norths
Hawks and Cutters won't be so easy I don't think. I think this will be a good hard game but one I think the Hawks will only just get up in.
:confused:

it's alex carter here. and im not going to the lions. and with the saints i decided to have a break from footy for a little bit it's not a big deal get over it.

Well after a few days off, thanks to a certain saints player dobbing me in to the teacher (no prizes for guessing who!), I've returned a rehabilitated poster.

it's alex carter here. and im not going to the lions. and with the saints i decided to have a break from footy for a little bit it's not a big deal get over it.

Nobody has spoken about you for sometime now Alex, we're you feeling left out? And by a break you mean you were dropped to the reserves and couldn't handle it again so quit, then we all hope your break rejuvenated your poor tortured soul.

Anyhow, "how far Saints" is the cry heard throughout the bookie ring! My tip is Saints by 59 in over Norths, Hawks by 45 over Souths.

Lewis and Gill would both be capable of kicking 120 given the right circumstances. It would be harder for Walsh if Lions improved as much as you say because a lot of his goals came against weaker sides (like Lions). The stronger the competition is, the harder it would be to kick big bags week-in week-out.

With 2 or 3 games left for the Saints, can Gill kick the ton too? Been a while since I saw two player on the same team kick tons and as far as I know, Gill hasn't done it before.

Walshy says he doesn't want to make a fuss about things, but pretty sure he had a new haircut on Saturday.

I think you're right Saint about Lewis and Gill, both are incredible talents. Who would you take if you had the choice of just one? Tough to split them, I've seen both take games apart this year.

I haven't seen Gill be beaten this year. He has a huge tank and just runs his opponent of his feet. Lewis was beaten soundly my A.Couch last time they played but i doubt he has had his colours lowered too many times this year. You can't really go wrong with either i think.
Saints by 10 goals. 3 goals in the 2's
Hawks by 10 goals. Port by 8 goals in the 2's

I haven't seen Gill be beaten this year. He has a huge tank and just runs his opponent of his feet. Lewis was beaten soundly my A.Couch last time they played but i doubt he has had his colours lowered too many times this year. You can't really go wrong with either i think.
Saints by 10 goals. 3 goals in the 2's
Hawks by 10 goals. Port by 8 goals in the 2's

I must admit watching him Saturday he has very safe hands & hard to be out marked

Mmmnnnn will leave my tips till Friday

Yeah I think I'd give it to Gill also. I think he'll take out the Crathern too. Just too hard not to notice, it seems every time the ball goes forward he is involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may (will) say Im obviously biased but Id have Lewis every day of the week. He has kicked 65 goals in the bottom side & has to contend with (at least) the oppositions TWO best defenders every week. Ive hardly seen him outmarked all season, he hits the contest with skill & courage, is great below the knee for his size & along with Gill has a great tank. He was a standout in the ruck in the inter-league game proving he is versatile & from what I heard he was the best performing Cairns player at the country champs. In addition to that he has been a great clubman this year, coached our U14's (the lads loved him) & all of us at the Lions very much hope he returns in 2013. Gee, if Gill had have signed as well with us this year.....

I'd pick Gill, but it's almost impossible to judge. One plays as the only forward in the 2nd worst team, the other plays a different position (higher forward) in the best team. Gill didn't play interleague or Qld, so can't judge off that.

I think they're the best two players in the league. Difficult to pick out of the two based on this year's performance. If Walsh wasn't playing, Gill may have kicked 150.

Pretty sure Lewis didn't have two opponents against Saints.

I would love to tip Lewis for the Crathern, as we know playing in a losing side unfortunately does not get you many votes.

I wish for a year the men in ORANGE & GREEN can see over non preforming players in winning sides as to what comes from others to give the votes correctly.

Same deal as last year

G F Final Tips Now

before Saturday 1300 (1.00pm)

Who plays off , both grades in G F

Who wins in both grades

PLUS THE CRATHERN WINNER

A carton of beer on of me. :eek:

Am I safe again this year :p

So you think somebody who played in the forward line in the bottom team should be a chance of winning the medal.

It's one thing to be a good player, but if your team doesn't allow you to perform, you don't get the medal for potential. He shouldn't get a vote in any of the games against Saints and I doubt it would be much different for many of the other games the Lions were belted in.

Kicking 5 in a losing team is admirable, but you don't deserve votes over the guys who piled on 40 at the other end.

Just like Fevola won't win the B& F in the league he's in, despite being clearly the best player.

(NB. I understand Lewis didn't only play as a forward, but still doubt his impact in 30 goal drubbings.)

I would love to tip Lewis for the Crathern, as we know playing in a losing side unfortunately does not get you many votes.

I wish for a year the men in ORANGE & GREEN can see over non preforming players in winning sides as to what comes from others to give the votes correctly.

Weight has to be given to the winning team though Tamba. It stands to reason that if the team won, the player's influence was greater than that of the losing team. I know you get great players in losing teams but I have no problem with the winning team being a deciding vote to split good players.

Mind you, Bob Skilton won 3 Brownlows in an average team. Lockett, Libba, Brian Wilson all won in ordinary teams. So if their good enough, it can be done.

I still think Gill by a whisker from Lewis in the Crathern.

Saints v Hawks in the 1's. Saints to win
Saints v Norths in the 2's. Saints to win

Gill for Crathern.
Hawks should be too good for Souths. Souths will need to get off to a good start or Hawks will give them a tough up. With a couple of key Hawks in doubt if Souths lead early they could get over the line.
Saints and Norths could be over before it starts. If Norths have a chance they need to play Jorgo forward. He often plays on Walsh but has been their best forward over the past month and need to stick with that because they have struggled to kick goals in the games against Saints this year.

I think hawks finals experience will get them over the line this week, just. Tipping a lead-changing game.

Saints in the other game.

Reserves will be interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if Norths' twos got up.

Did Liddy ever get a clearance or is he a chance to pop up in the finals?

I think hawks finals experience will get them over the line this week, just. Tipping a lead-changing game.

Saints in the other game.

Reserves will be interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if Norths' twos got up.

Did Liddy ever get a clearance or is he a chance to pop up in the finals?

This weekend

Souths 1 & 2's

Saints 1's

Norths 2's

This weekend

Souths 1 & 2's

Saints 1's

Norths 2's
Saints 1's
Hawks 1's
Norths 2's
Souths 2's
I will go with Lewis for medal each way. Cities had a few close losses before they won one and he is every chance to pick up a couple of 3's there and he was definitely BOG in their 2 wins, plus Gill missed a few as well. I think Mueller will be our highest vote getter, only played about half the games but is a chance to poll in most of them.
I don't think Liddy was cleared as last I heard he was playing rugby union is Brissie.

Saints 1's
Hawks 1's
Norths 2's
Souths 2's
I will go with Lewis for medal each way. Cities had a few close losses before they won one and he is every chance to pick up a couple of 3's there and he was definitely BOG in their 2 wins, plus Gill missed a few as well. I think Mueller will be our highest vote getter, only played about half the games but is a chance to poll in most of them.
I don't think Liddy was cleared as last I heard he was playing rugby union is Brissie.

Souths G g g g o o o o nnnnnnnn eeeeeee

all teams thanks for the season

great plays all over

Worst semi final day in memory.

150 points & 77 points.

Next week has the chance to half way make up for yesterday with Hawks v Norths for the right to be runners up for season 2012.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back