AFL CAIRNS - Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

"The pretty childish description of all North Cairns supporters is uneccessary and perhaps part of the reason of the hate directed at Saints. ( for the record, I am not a member of the 'lets hate saints club', every club here would love the sustained success they have enjoyed and this can only be done with dedicated people off the field). But, over they years I have heard many many unneccessary sprays coming from the direction of the Saints bar (and every other bar in the league for that matter). You guys are not immune to having a loud mouth idiot in your crowd from time to time...."

Well said Watsons. This is what I have been trying to say but have been attacked, maybe your turn of phrase is better. I have never seen a player singled out for such hate as this from the Saints supporters on this forum & certainly never have done this personally. "Let he without sin cast the first stone".... I have been accused as jealous & hateful, of course we are jealous but hateful NO! The last few posts directed at Norths are hateful.
I have mentioned on this forum before that we are all very envious of the results Saints FC have achieved, no doubt about that & I quite rightly congratulated Saints FC on the debut of their first home grown junior. This was a huge event for Saints & after the game several Lions people went out of their way to congratulate Jack & his parents. He played well.
But the way they have gone about many things over the years have left a sour taste at times, that's my opinion & Im not concerned who agrees or not.
On another matter, very sad to see Ben Hallas resign as junior co-ordinator. He was a breath of fresh air in that job, was really pro-active, incredibly helpful & supportive of junior footy & just a really nice bloke. Im not sure why he left (does anybody know?) but he will certainly be missed by us.

I have to admit I too was disappointed when I got back in town on Monday to hear that young Ben has moved on. Having just got to know Ben I have gained a high regard for his thoughts and knowledge about the game. AFL Cairns will be the loser from Ben's resignation.

I'm away for a week and look what happens on here, where's the love people?:p So much anger.:mad:.

For what it's worth, my kiss of death this week -

Crocs V Hawks - Crocs are to hard to beat at home.

Saints V Cutters - Saints will easily account for the Cutters.

Bulldogs V Lions - Bulldogs have a couple of new recruits and from all accounts so do the Lions. This will be a tough game but I'm going to lean towards the Doggies but only just.

Have a sensational weekend everyone and good luck to your respective footy teams.;)

Bulldogs v lions looked like a good game by the scoreboard

Big second half by saints

And port got it done over hawks

Any match reports? And when do they announce the rep side?

Souths played very well for a half but fell away after half time. Take away Powell at FF Saints would have won by 200pts

Probably the strongest side we've put out all year & we still found a way to lose. Back to the drawing board I'd say, so much promise this year but we only play in patches & the accountability in defence is questionable at best. Credit once again to CTB, they just really, really wanted it.....

Probably the strongest side we've put out all year & we still found a way to lose. Back to the drawing board I'd say, so much promise this year but we only play in patches & the accountability in defence is questionable at best. Credit once again to CTB, they just really, really wanted it.....

A great game again by the 2 bottom sides. Last game was down to the last couple of minutes and so was this one. Both were Bulldogs home games and I think that was the difference.
Lions showed some real fight after being well down at half time and with a bit more luck in front of goals would have beaten us.
Hopefully the Lions boys get a win real soon as they are giving it all. We considered ourselves very lucky to get out of this one.

A great game again by the 2 bottom sides. Last game was down to the last couple of minutes and so was this one. Both were Bulldogs home games and I think that was the difference.
Lions showed some real fight after being well down at half time and with a bit more luck in front of goals would have beaten us.
Hopefully the Lions boys get a win real soon as they are giving it all. We considered ourselves very lucky to get out of this one.
Perfectly summed up, a little more composure around the sticks & we had it..! But well done CTB, as I said, you really wanted it. Its very frustrating after so much promise & excitement around the club on our chances this year.
Cutters next round at home is very winnable & lets hope we can break our duck for 2013.

No fixtures this weekend. Good Luck to the Cairns Team down in Sydney. I'm off to watch the boy play for the U14 Cairns Lions Team in Mackay. Unfortunately, the other boy is playing for Peninsula down in Maroochydore and I can't be in 2 places at once. I see the St Augustine's U14 Team are through to the GC Suns Cup finals to be played down at Metricon Stadium. They beat St Anthony's of Townsville by 40 points. Apparently "Super Coach" Walshy was quietly chuffed by their efforts.

No fixtures this weekend. Good Luck to the Cairns Team down in Sydney. I'm off to watch the boy play for the U14 Cairns Lions Team in Mackay. Unfortunately, the other boy is playing for Peninsula down in Maroochydore and I can't be in 2 places at once. I see the St Augustine's U14 Team are through to the GC Suns Cup finals to be played down at Metricon Stadium. They beat St Anthony's of Townsville by 40 points. Apparently "Super Coach" Walshy was quietly chuffed by their efforts.

Has the rep team been named yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see the first female umpire officiate a senior game last weekend in Cairns. Any reports on how she went? An old boundary umpire from the league said the new umpires boss has cleared out a lot of the old umpires and recruited a lot of youth. The umpiring up there compared with Victoria is similar, the only difference being that most umpires in Victoria are old players so their ability to relate to and address players is spot on. This gains a lot of respect amongst the players.

Without it being a slagging match, how is the umpiring going as an overall with a highly regarded umpires boss now in place?

Great to see the first female umpire officiate a senior game last weekend in Cairns. Any reports on how she went? An old boundary umpire from the league said the new umpires boss has cleared out a lot of the old umpires and recruited a lot of youth. The umpiring up there compared with Victoria is similar, the only difference being that most umpires in Victoria are old players so their ability to relate to and address players is spot on. This gains a lot of respect amongst the players.

Without it being a slagging match, how is the umpiring going as an overall with a highly regarded umpires boss now in place?

She performed OK--- considering it was her 1st time,
did miss a few but not as much as Koch, still need to get in closer to the action Koch and help where mistakes are made.

Umpire boss :rolleyes: highly regarded ?????? by who ??????? Victorians ??????

Well teach them something, like there is two teams on the field every week and not make up a penalty to give back when they get it wrong.

Well done to Saints for last weekends game,
they were a totally different team after half time,
looks like we stayed in the sheds.

Well done to Saints for last weekends game,
they were a totally different team after half time,
looks like we stayed in the sheds.

Souths played well for a half however Saints took over when the pressure from Souths dropped off.
Great to see Saints new recruit turn it on... Would have to be the best player in the league now and showed it Saturday.

As for the umpiring I thought the young girl did a great job and controlled a potentially ugly situation very well by sending the player off.
Not involved with the umpires so can only comment on what I've heard. Parents have complained at how unorganised it is this year compared to previous years with the kid boundary umpires being rostered on when they have said they are unavailable to umpire and also being told wrong venues etc....

Souths played well for a half however Saints took over when the pressure from Souths dropped off.
Great to see Saints new recruit turn it on... Would have to be the best player in the league now and showed it Saturday.

As for the umpiring I thought the young girl did a great job and controlled a potentially ugly situation very well by sending the player off.
Not involved with the umpires so can only comment on what I've heard. Parents have complained at how unorganised it is this year compared to previous years with the kid boundary umpires being rostered on when they have said they are unavailable to umpire and also being told wrong venues etc....

Agree thought the young lady did a cracking job and will only get better with experience. Hats off for sweeping the broom with the older umpires and bringing in the youth.

If anyone interested AFL Cairns V AFL Sydney the match in full

won't reveal the score in case you want to watch the game, I enjoyed watching it.

went and watched the game down here today, saw a few really new faces from when I was last in cairns. muller very good player, campell in the back very good, walsh - does this bloke ever get old?! still playing like he is 21, ellich can play, gets the footy I can see why tigers are so good up there this year. very well represented this year only so much u can get off the website and mates telling you when u see them first hand then u can get a better idea

She performed OK--- considering it was her 1st time,
did miss a few but not as much as Koch, still need to get in closer to the action Koch and help where mistakes are made.

Umpire boss :rolleyes: highly regarded ?????? by who ??????? Victorians ??????

Well teach them something, like there is two teams on the field every week and not make up a penalty to give back when they get it wrong.

On paper he is highly regarded, but since my last post on here I have heard and seen otherwise. Obviously there are some on field umpiring concerns (as to be expected, that is the beauty of our game) but from my understanding he isn't winning many friends up there.

Going by a video that I was sent from a friend in Cairns I can see why. Was there any repercussion for that behaviour?

Firstly, congrats to the U14 Cairns Lions team. They took out the NQ Championships for the ninth year in a row, what an accomplishment. They went through undefeated and were only pushed in the last game by the Cape Crusaders in which they won by 2 points. A great effort was put in by the Coaching and support staff and the water carriers (they all know who they are). I have to also say, that it was probably some of the best umpiring I have seen in years at any level of the game.

Anyway, for what it's worth here is my kiss of death for this week -

Tigers V Crocs - What a game, would love to be there to watch. I think Norths will be good enough at home to beat the travelling Crocs.

Bulldogs V Hawks - This will be interesting and a tough encounter. However I think the Hawks can get over the top of the Bulldogs providing they keep it together.

Lions V Cutters - Could this be the week for the Lions? I think it could be and I'm going to go with the Lions but in a tight one.

Tigers V Crocs - Tigers away in Croc country, against a Croc crowd as well, will be interesting this match up. will need for 3 umpires here as it will be a fast game

Bulldogs V Hawks - Hawks should win this, should be a good game, see if the bulldogs are improving

Lions V Cutters - Cutters to get back on track and need to , this may be close but doubt it as the Lions tend to fade in the last 1/4, not taking anything away from them, would not be surprised if the Cutters do go down.

.....phew....!!

Well thats the reward for not throwing in the towell. Great work. Too good a side not to have a win.
Sets up some great games for the rest of the year.
Of course not in the class of the Tigers and Saints but there is a real battle going down the bottom of the table and great games to go and watch.
Again us Bulldogs just scraped in. Saints next week. Hopefully something respectable and not the normal belting we get from them

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL CAIRNS - Season 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back