AFL coaches think Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond coaches don't think Edwards is in Richmond's best 10 players.

2015 Jack Dyer Medal top 10

1st Alex Rance 76 votes (Jack Dyer Medal winner)

2nd Dustin Martin 60 (Jack Titus Medal winner)

3rd Brett Deledio 54 (Maurie Fleming Medal winner)

4th Anthony Miles 50 (Fred Swift Medal winner)

5th Jack Riewoldt 48 (Kevin Bartlett Medal winner)

Eq 6th Trent Cotchin 47

Eq 6th Nick Vlastuin 47

8th Bachar Houli 46

Eq 9th Shaun Grigg 44

Eq 9th Dylan Grimes 44

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/rance-wins-tigers-best-and-fairest-20151006-gk2k74.html#ixzz3novQJn7j
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Where's blaisee though?
He and CrazyKenny were all over this like a fat kid and a donut all year.
Yet gone to ground since Cyril lit up the prelim AND grand final they can't even admit, apologise or even congratulate Rioli on his efforts! Pathetically weak really.

Where's blaisee though?
He and CrazyKenny were all over this like a fat kid and a donut all year.
Yet gone to ground since Cyril lit up the prelim AND grand final they can't even admit, apologise or even congratulate Rioli on his efforts! Pathetically weak really.

I don't agree that Shane is better than Cyril but you can't compare the two based on Cyril's performance in the Grand Final when Shane hasn't had the same opportunity.

I don't agree that Shane is better than Cyril but you can't compare the two based on Cyril's performance in the Grand Final when Shane hasn't had the same opportunity.
The whole thread by blaisee has been about anecdotal evidence dressed up as fact, hence the thread title:

was based around the AFLCA votes, yet Shane's own coach didn't even have him in Richmonds top ten????

As for CrazyKenny:
The vitriol in this thread by CrazyKenny about Cyril leading into the finals were emphatically put to bed this September, yet he's gone missing......
I'm all for differing opinions, but if I spewed out the same crap about Shane Edwards and he proved me wrong in the Grand Final like Cyril did, I'd be here in an instant saying 'well done Shane, you proved me wrong"... these kids are too weak to do that.

Edwards is yet to fail in big games, he should get a chance before you judge, Cyril has failed in big games time and time again

Who would you rather have in your team on Grand Final Day? And don't answer with "But Cyril could..." Who is more likely to have a good game and contribute? Obviously Edwards.

Looking forward to Edwards playing finals this year in a much better side. Think it's also safe to say that if Edwards played in those finals in the Hawthorn side with Hawthorn players around him, he'd daily have gone better than Cyril.

Can you get me his scores from finals and make note of Grand Finals?

Right and again it's all about what he does off the ball... So what were his stats that game?

How'd he go that game? (2014 GF)

Yep, well done Hawthorn for winning those 3 flags and Cyril barely contributing to any of them

Sorry what exactly was his contribution? Aside from all the magical things he did off the ball? (2008GF)

for all the hyperbole on this thread the premise still stands.

Half way through the year before injury Edwards was top 3. in the Best and fairest.

At that point he was about 30 votes ahead of Cyril in the coaches votes.

and he still wasn't beaten by Cyril in the coaches votes even though he missed 7 games.

Good on Cyril for playing well in the grand final. Doesn't change this thread one bit though

Good on Cyril for playing well in the grand final. Doesn't change this thread one bit though

TRUE DAT....It's still full of the same logical lacunae & non sequiturs which marked it out from the beginning; as an epic troll thread.

CEPT....The only one's that's been trolled, is it's author.

Half way through the year before injury Edwards was top 3. in the Best and fairest.

and he still wasn't beaten by Cyril in the coaches votes even though he missed 7 games.

And nobody has denied that Edwards led Cyril in the coaches award (the same association that hasn't given Alistair Clarkson the Coach of the year award)

Doesn't mean that AFL coaches think Titch is a better footballer than Cyril.
Like they don't actually think that Luke Beveridge is a better coach than Clarko.

And nobody has denied that Edwards led Cyril in the coaches award (the same association that hasn't given Alistair Clarkson the Coach of the year award)

Doesn't mean that AFL coaches think Titch is a better footballer than Cyril.
Like they don't actually think that Luke Beveridge is a better coach than Clarko.

Up until the award was decided they did . From where bevo has come from and what the Bulldogs have achieved this year they decided before the finals that he had done a better job at that stage .

Pretty clear if you ask me

Actually if you read the OP's exact claim, he is technically correct.

149375-You-are-technically-correct-th-31q5.jpeg

Actually if you read the OP's exact claim, he is technically correct.

His OP was a question, not a claim. Who would you prefer? When the answer started coming back overwhelming towards Rioli, he tried to latch on the coaches votes as a means of suggesting the coaches think Edwards is a better footballer.

So, who would you prefer?

I'm going Cyril. Who's with me?

Up until the award was decided they did . From where bevo has come from and what the Bulldogs have achieved this year they decided before the finals that he had done a better job at that stage .

What are you going to come up with when Cyril wins the Hawthorn best & fairest in a premiership year? Start planning ;)

For the record I think Edwards had a better year than Brad Hill :thumbsu::rainbow:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His OP was a question, not a claim. Who would you prefer? When the answer started coming back overwhelming towards Rioli, he tried to latch on the coaches votes as a means of suggesting the coaches think Edwards is a better footballer.

So, who would you prefer?

I'm going Cyril. Who's with me?

I would prefer Cyril, definitely.

But the coaches thought Shane Edwards was a better footballer than Cyril Rioli this year.

Coaches Votes = Coaches' collective opinion of a player's year. What else do the votes mean?

The error most people are making is generalising that to mean he's a better player than Cyril in other ways, which he's not.

Classic troll thread because it's based on the premise that practically everyone will commit a logical generalisation in their head and the OP has brilliantly predicted this to be the case.

Actually he is not, the coaches have just decided to give Edwards a few more votes for whatever reason this year. The votes reflect their opinion on individual games, not their opinion of the footballing ability of the players in question.

Haha. Read my above post.

The injustice is in your head, people.

Coaches think Shane is better than Cyril this year. Everyone generalises that to mean something it's not :thumbsu:

Cunnington was rated higher than Cotchin by Robbo this year with the justification of his influence on his team winning finals, and I'd agree with that statement. Doesn't make him a better player than Cotchin.

Clarko could have called the Bulldogs the morning after the award and said his services are on offer and beveridge would have been pushed out quicker than you can say it.

Coaches think Shane is better than Cyril this year. Everyone generalises that to mean something it's not :thumbsu:

Cunnington was rated higher than Cotchin by Robbo this year with the justification of his influence on his team winning finals, and I'd agree with that statement. Doesn't make him a better player than Cotchin.
No, using the coaches votes is very anecdotal.
2012 (or 11, can't remember) Daniel wells led Gary Ablett. Do you think that if asked who they thought was a better footballer, they would have said Daniel wells??
It's taking one thing and extrapolating a meaning out of it. There's too many variables to categorically state it as fact.
And the op also said that this was the case (Edwards better than Cyril) going forward too (pre finals)
Ha ha !!!!!

No, using the coaches votes is very anecdotal.
2012 (or 11, can't remember) Daniel wells led Gary Ablett. Do you think that if asked who they thought was a better footballer, they would have said Daniel wells??
It's taking one thing and extrapolating a meaning out of it. There's too many variables to categorically state it as fact.
And the op also said that this was the case (Edwards better than Cyril) going forward too (pre finals)
Ha ha !!!!!

No, the coaches votes are accurate, the extrapolation of alternate variables only occurs in your heads.

It's exactly the same logic as when an average player has a great game and the coach would say "yeah he was better than our (insert star player) today".

Except instead of 'today' you've got 'this year'.

Yet 99% of people on here jumped to their own illogical conclusions.

You misunderstood what I said. Let me put it another way.

Richmond generally player lower standard games than Hawthorn, and in a mediocre game it is easier for a player to get votes.

Hawthorn on the other hand play at a much higher standard with superstars all over the ground, therefore it is harder for Cyril to get votes.

It like a big pond little pond thing ;)

You misunderstood what I said. Let me put it another way.

Richmond generally player lower standard games than Hawthorn, and in a mediocre game it is easier for a player to get votes.

Hawthorn on the other hand play at a much higher standard with superstars all over the ground, therefore it is harder for Cyril to get votes.

It like a big pond little pond thing ;)

Richmond has it's handful of stars stealing votes too, it's our depth that is lacking compared to yours:

Hawthorn: 16 wins
Richmond: 15 wins

Hawks often obliterate their opponents so all the votes go to Hawks, whereas in a close Richmond defensive game, the votes are more evenly split between the 2 teams. Not sure if your assumption negates the value of the coaches' votes representing coaches' opinion.

Unless you're just enjoying the arrogance you're entitled to after a threepeat, in which I say carry on :thumbsu:

Delusional at best, stark raving mad otherwise.

Isn't it a bit early to be starting another Richmond backfire thread?

BTW, has anyone found him yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back