AFL coaches think Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

No, the coaches votes are accurate, the extrapolation of alternate variables only occurs in your heads.

It's exactly the same logic as when an average player has a great game and the coach would say "yeah he was better than our (insert star player) today".

Except instead of 'today' you've got 'this year'.

Yet 99% of people on here jumped to their own illogical conclusions.
No. It's far too anecdotal.
Variables:

Was one tagged, was one not?
Did one have Gary Fyfe taking votes off him? Means less going around.
Was one playing a role, or was one not?
Was one playing in a position that gets more votes (midfield) and was one not?

Do you hmthink of you polled the afl coaches they would say that Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril?? That's what the thread title says.
Cause if you say "yes because of the votes" your also saying "yes they think simpson, Lyon and beveridge are a better coach than Clarko" and if that's what you say, well good luck with that.

for all the hyperbole on this thread the premise still stands.

Half way through the year before injury Edwards was top 3. in the Best and fairest.

At that point he was about 30 votes ahead of Cyril in the coaches votes.

and he still wasn't beaten by Cyril in the coaches votes even though he missed 7 games.

Good on Cyril for playing well in the grand final. Doesn't change this thread one bit though

You're trying hard yet failing miserably......Edwards had his last votes from the coaches in Round 9, he missed his first game through injury at Round 16.
So he was done and dusted by round 9. Injuries played no part.

Rioli on the other hand made AA played dominant finals and ended up with a Norm smith...whilst Edwards failed to make the top 10 in a best fairest and failed in a finals match once again.......this has been the ultimate burn.

Edwards: Solid H&A year, mediocre final, older than Cyril, won't ever achieve what Cyril has

Cyril: 2015 All-Australian, 4 flags, great finals series, Norm Smith (most important and meaningful individual accolade in football)

046508cfa2e6edb65d58c35c96abd6649ac582cbfcc996bec6d8f242ab3b44f2.jpg

Actually if you read the OP's exact claim, he is technically correct.

149375-You-are-technically-correct-th-31q5.jpeg
In very first post it says
"I thought it would be interesting to compare him with the media's darling Cyril Rioli

Who would you prefer in your team and why"

And quite frankly the answer is Cyril has made a mockery of any reasoning for having Edwards in the team!

Geez you Hawthorn blokes are very sensitive about Cyril.

I will repeat

I am talking about THIS year and the FUTURE, not HISTORY.

THIS year Shane Edwards has way way outperformed Cyril, this has to be accepted as a FACT.

The future also looks better for Edwards when compared to Cyril, because Edwards form line is still trending upwards, Cyril's is not.

On that basis, THIS year and the FUTURE, I would choose Edwards over Cyril.

That's not that hard to understand surely?
And do you still stand by these comments?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In very first post it says
"I thought it would be interesting to compare him with the media's darling Cyril Rioli

Who would you prefer in your team and why"

And quite frankly the answer is Cyril has made a mockery of any reasoning for having Edwards in the team!

And that's why I've repeatedly strictly said it's technically correct to say AFL coaches rated Shane's 2015 above Cyril's 2015, which became the premise of the thread after the OP's slightly hyperbolic intro. Especially mid-season when Shane was on fire and Top 10 in the coaches votes and Top 2-3 in our B+F. It's just like how Cunnington could be argued to have had a more influential year than Cotchin, without being the better player.

And so many posters still don't get it lol.

Even after I spelled it out, there's still a Collingwood poster comparing Cyril's whole career to Shane's.

I just sit here and laugh :D

People filled with a sense of injustice due to nothing but the extrapolations going on in their minds :thumbsu:

And that's why I've repeatedly strictly said it's technically correct to say AFL coaches rated Shane's 2015 above Cyril's 2015, which became the premise of the thread after the OP's slightly hyperbolic intro. Especially mid-season when Shane was on fire and Top 10 in the coaches votes and Top 2-3 in our B+F. It's just like how Cunnington could be argued to have had a more influential year than Cotchin, without being the better player.

Even after I spelled it out, there's still a Collingwood poster comparing Cyril's whole career to Shane's.

People filled with a sense of injustice due to nothing but the extrapolations going on in their minds :thumbsu:

What does the club I support have to do with anything? I did also refer to their respective 2015 seasons. Will repeat for you again:

Edwards: solid H&A year (half of it, anyway), abysmal finals performance
Cyril: 2015 AA, overall great finals series, Norm Smith medal

Ask the coaches now who had a better individual year and you won't find one saying your man. Half a season of coaches votes award aren't a good indicator of anything as far as any rational person is concerned - bar maybe a mere representation of a few games of good form.

Also, you do realize you're backing up an OP who has a differing view from yours? He maintains the same misguided view that coaches awards are deterministic of a player's overall ability - as well as (somehow) being an accurate predictor of future performance :oops:

This thread is the ultimate backfire. Words can't express how much so.

So by extension, Edwards was a top 10 player in the league at the mid way point of the season :drunk:

The title says what it says.
It doesn't say that "up to round 10 the coaches thought that Shane Edwards has had a more influential year." It says:
Afl coaches think Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril Rioli.
And the OP has maintained that and he even went as far as to say that we can extrapolate that to mean the same going into the future.
The coaches votes aren't even linear. They don't rank each player from top to bottom. You could just miss out on votes every week by one spot, does this mean that you're a better footballer than a player who made 1 vote for the year and then was the 44th best on ground, sub say, for the remainder?? Answer is no.

So why did you change the thread title from "Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril Rioli""
to it's now current "AFL coaches think Shane Edwards is a better footballer than Cyril Rioli",
seeing as you're out from hiding?

What are you talking about?

The thread title has been the same for months

The whole thread by blaisee has been about anecdotal evidence dressed up as fact, hence the thread title:

was based around the AFLCA votes, yet Shane's own coach didn't even have him in Richmonds top ten????

As for CrazyKenny:
The vitriol in this thread by CrazyKenny about Cyril leading into the finals were emphatically put to bed this September, yet he's gone missing......
I'm all for differing opinions, but if I spewed out the same crap about Shane Edwards and he proved me wrong in the Grand Final like Cyril did, I'd be here in an instant saying 'well done Shane, you proved me wrong"... these kids are too weak to do that.
18 possies and 2 goals? Goes to show media hype and Bruce commentary can get anyone a norm smith. Means 0 when people like Derm are on the panel.

He was on the panel and no doubt in the ear of the other panellists. Deliberately voted Mitchell so it wouldn't look suss.

Potentially the most underserving norm smith in the history of the game.

Yeah....Much like his supposed match-winning preliminary final too. Way over-hyped....And how he fluked 4 Premiership medallions & 2 AA's is just beyond comprehension....No doubt, all Bruce McAvaney's doing.

Where & When will all this Derm inspired, mass delirium end?....Trust in Kray-Kray to clear away all the smoke n mirrors.:thumbsu:

As for Edwards, I hear he is undergoing a rigorous 5 step, De-Cotchin program....Otherwise known as: How not to go MIA in September....Chapter 10 in the Paper Tigers handbook.;)

Nah....Only joking with ya....Looking forwards to both of blaisee & your good-self's 2016 contributions.

Lord knows....We could all use the LOL'S!:)

Yeah....Much like his supposed match-winning preliminary final too. Way over-hyped....And how he fluked 4 Premiership medallions & 2 AA's is just beyond comprehension....No doubt, all Bruce McAvaney's doing.

Where & When will all this Derm inspired, mass delirium end?....Trust in Kray-Kray to clear away all the smoke n mirrors.:thumbsu:

As for Edwards, I hear he is undergoing a rigorous 5 step, De-Cotchin program....Otherwise known as: How not to go MIA in September....Chapter 10 in the Paper Tigers handbook.;)

Nah....Only joking with ya....Looking forwards to both of blaisee & your good-self's 2016 contributions.

Lord knows....We could all use the LOL'S!:)
All these awards are rubbish.
Dermis, spud, Darcy . It's irrelevant dribble, for mums and kids.

The only award worth winning is the coaches award. Coaches know who actually makes a difference in the game. Media commentator are just bunnies. If they were any good they would be coaching . It's a joke, just like the brow low is. If you have long hair, or blonde hair or curly hair and play in the midfield yiu win the brow low.

The coaches award is the only awRd worth anything in the afl , aa included. Spud is on the panel for gods sake. As is Darcy . It's ridiculous

All these awards are rubbish.
Dermis, spud, Darcy . It's irrelevant dribble, for mums and kids.

The only award worth winning is the coaches award. Coaches know who actually makes a difference in the game. Media commentator are just bunnies. If they were any good they would be coaching . It's a joke, just like the brow low is. If you have long hair, or blonde hair or curly hair and play in the midfield yiu win the brow low.

The coaches award is the only awRd worth anything in the afl , aa included. Spud is on the panel for gods sake. As is Darcy . It's ridiculous

Wasn't spud the head of the coaches association o_O:confused::drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back