AFL Dream Team 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No risk no rewards!!!

I guess this is where research comes into it as if you load up with rookies and Guns then you have less players to upgrade in the end and more scope for cash increases.......

You really need to have a look at your team and count how many guys you have to upgrade to have yr team set....This is where you need to be honest, because if you think that Symes or Mattner or the likes won't need upgrading in the future yr going to be out the back door.....Which doesnt matter if your playing just for the Raw Talent Kindy League!!!

Great Line!!! Agree, no risk no reward, how many do you have at the moment to be upgraded?

No risk no rewards!!!

I guess this is where research comes into it as if you load up with rookies and Guns then you have less players to upgrade in the end and more scope for cash increases.......

You really need to have a look at your team and count how many guys you have to upgrade to have yr team set....This is where you need to be honest, because if you think that Symes or Mattner or the likes won't need upgrading in the future yr going to be out the back door.....Which doesnt matter if your playing just for the Raw Talent Kindy League!!!

Knew that was going to be the reply. Last year, i didnt have 1 rookie starting and ended finishing Top 100, i relied on my 8 pine warmers and they were fantastic. The way i see it aslong as you pick the right 8 on the bench then you should be fine when it comes to selling cash-cows. This year i wanted to free up a bit more cash so decided to play 1 cash cow, it isnt all that big of a risk, and i'm more then confident the rookie i picked will be consistent and get 22 games.

Thats the way i go about it, everyones approach is different though

What would be the best option for a midfielder under 350k?

Options are Andrew Embley, Steven Salopek, Trav Johnstone, Brock Mclean, Brent Reilly, Daniel Wells, Marc Murphy, Michael Braun or Nathan Jones.

No risk no rewards!!!

A good approach IMHO, the trouble with too many rookies though (starting on the field) is that you're overall position is going to suffer early and you'll being playing a substantial game of catchup all year. If your just concentrating on a league premiership however, then rookie it up!
As for, "No risk no rewards"-I would be wary of this approach, sure it is true, and if you were to simply pick a team all worth the average approx 250k amount you would have a pretty ordinary team! :D
My tactic is going to be managing those risks so that any player starting in my 22 is:
1. A player returning frm injury/poor form/both, who is lighting it up in the pre-season, training well and generally looking good (this carries over to reserves in some cases).
2. Capable of scoring 100 once in every 5 games (1 in 5 as a rough rule of thumb).
It is possible, and basically what I am saying in case the above makes no sense is that starting rookies on the field is too risy and unlikely to pay off, mature aged players are the better option IMO.

Knew that was going to be the reply. Last year, i didnt have 1 rookie starting and ended finishing Top 100, i relied on my 8 pine warmers and they were fantastic. The way i see it aslong as you pick the right 8 on the bench then you should be fine when it comes to selling cash-cows. This year i wanted to free up a bit more cash so decided to play 1 cash cow, it isnt all that big of a risk, and i'm more then confident the rookie i picked will be consistent and get 22 games.

Thats the way i go about it, everyones approach is different though

Exactly, don't pick a rookie just because he has been named in round one. Look for potential down the track, potential to play 10+. I fell into that trap last year by picking Riggio just because he was named.

No risk no rewards!!!

I'm with you NT. Trades are like gold and on face value there just don't seem to be the Adcock's and Newman's in the mid range backs this year. This years improvers are in the Mids, hence, strategy change.

I'm not fussed with 2 Rookies playing in the backs, as long as they play Rd1. If they average 50, in 4 weeks they are worth 220K each and it's trade time. To find this value in Symes or Mattner they would need to average 95 pw, can't see that happening.

I'm with you NT. Trades are like gold and on face value there just don't seem to be the Adcock's and Newman's in the mid range backs this year. This years improvers are in the Mids, hence, strategy change.

I'm not fussed with 2 Rookies playing in the backs, as long as they play Rd1. If they average 50, in 4 weeks they are worth 220K each and it's trade time. To find this value in Symes or Mattner they would need to average 95 pw, can't see that happening.

Look closer :p

Options are Andrew Embley, Steven Salopek, Trav Johnstone, Brock Mclean, Brent Reilly, Daniel Wells, Marc Murphy, Michael Braun or Nathan Jones.

IMO either Trav or Reilly.
Simply because trav is surrounded by other good centres and therefore not going to have the best tagger by the opposition.
Reilly because the crows centres have moved up the ground (e.g. edwards/goodwin/mcleod) and he is going to get more of the ball with thompson attracting the heavy tag. Its not all about being tagged, but being free in the centre certainly helps ;)

I honestly cant see where the decent rookies in the backs and forwards are. In the mids there are 4-5, but still risky.

Nothing wrong with Symes/Mattner either, you need someone to upgrade into premiums :p

IMO either Trav or Reilly.
Simply because trav is surrounded by other good centres and therefore not going to have the best tagger by the opposition.
Reilly because the crows centres have moved up the ground (e.g. edwards/goodwin/mcleod) and he is going to get more of the ball with thompson attracting the heavy tag. Its not all about being tagged, but being free in the centre certainly helps ;)

I'm a Jones fan. Another pre-season in the legs at his age, good tackler and still won't cop the tag with Bruce and McLean in the mix.

1. Marc Murphy-Did well for a 2nd year player and came under considerable attention in the abscence of Stevens, with him and Judd Marc will Flourish.
2. Brent Reilly-Looking the goods and will get more time in the Adelaide engine room this year, it going to click for Brent I think.
Embley too inconsistant, Johnstone looks ok possibly but behind 1 and 2, Mclean cant handle a tag, Salopek not in the same league as the others, same with Jones and Braun. Just MHO, hope this helps.

Originally Posted by 54Dogs

I honestly cant see where the decent rookies in the backs and forwards are. In the mids there are 4-5, but still risky.

Nothing wrong with Symes/Mattner either, you need someone to upgrade into premiums :p

Kanga's I'm with you in the forwards with limited options, maybe Hansen, Sellar, Mottlop, Rioli and Henderson but in the backs I don't mind what Lonergan, Pfieffer, Selwood, Hansen (again), Lower, Proud, Myers and S Thompson have shown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally Posted by 54Dogs

Look closer :p

Just put the magnifying glass again over Kennelly, Mattner, Symes, S Stevens, Petterd, Staker, Hurn and Nicoski but I'm still not seeing it.

Back to the drawing board.

What are peoples thoughts on Brock Mclean this year? Last year he was pretty average and was not at his best. Will we see the Rock dominating this year?

What are peoples thoughts on Brock Mclean this year? Last year he was pretty average and was not at his best. Will we see the Rock dominating this year?

Aren't people jumping on Nathan Jones this year? He's had an excellent pre-season and is one of those who is set for a super year. Brock McLean hasn't played pre-season to my knowledge plus last years slump was because he was playing injured so I don't think you can accurately predict what might happen. He certainly was turning into a DT gun pre-2007 though.

You did better than me last year egg so you probably shouldn't take anything i say seriously :p

What do people think of Jeff White and Cameron Wood this year? I noticed Fraser has dropped off, so maybe it's his time? Good pre-season so far too. Also, Jeff White seems pretty cheap and maybe a good alternative to Cox?

Aren't people jumping on Nathan Jones this year? He's had an excellent pre-season and is one of those who is set for a super year. Brock McLean hasn't played pre-season to my knowledge plus last years slump was because he was playing injured so I don't think you can accurately predict what might happen. He certainly was turning into a DT gun pre-2007 though.

You did better than me last year egg so you probably shouldn't take anything i say seriously :p

What do people think of Jeff White and Cameron Wood this year? I noticed Fraser has dropped off, so maybe it's his time? Good pre-season so far too. Also, Jeff White seems pretty cheap and maybe a good alternative to Cox?

Mclean had a ripping 06, shitty 07 due to injury so i expect him to be back firing this year....im hoping. And yeah he hasnt played a pre-season game but maybe they're just resting they're guns so they dont get a billion injuries like last year. Plus my mates a Dee's fan and he reckons Mcleans been tearing up the training track.

Nathan Jones could be a good one to differentiate from the others, but im not quite sure.....could be a good get.

Jeff White will probably rotate off the bench with Meesen so i wouldnt expect to see scores similar to last year as he was basically the Dee's only ruckmen.

Cameron Wood will be one too watch, i wouldnt get on him yet just because he had a great game against West Coast....its only pre-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyubbo
Aren't people jumping on Nathan Jones this year? He's had an excellent pre-season and is one of those who is set for a super year.

I'm tempted to pick Jones. Wins enough of it and tackles well, but I don't like the fact that he doesn't mark it enough.

I'm on the Jones wagon. 3rd year midfielders really kick on. They have miles in the legs but still don't cop the tag.

Egs - Brock McLean 64 average up to 92 avge in 3rd year
Jordan Lewis 75 avge up to 95
Nathan Foley 61 to 81

why do we think it is tomorow

i saw a blog on rizzos site saying it was tomorow

what makes us so sure (we thought it was monday)

Yeah tommorrow is the day. From what i have heard, they have had server problems and want to get it right to cope with the traffic.

Take of that what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back