Competitions AFL Dream Team 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2008
Edge
AFL Club
Essendon
With 18 days left until AFL Dream Team officially opens i thought i'd start a thread to get a gauge on how much interest there is amongst us for some competitive leagues this year and start a bit of chatter.

Prices are out and they are all high! Normally guns and rookies is the method of choice but this year the old breakout smokey will be all that more important. The other big issue this year are the rounds 11/12/13 byes. Each week 6 teams will have a bye but league play will continue throughout...... the strategy you take here will make a huge difference to your season.

So it looks like being a season where skill, planning and luck will all form equal parts.

I wrote a little Bombers DT preview on Dt talk the other week and the general consensus from the peanut gallery was that we are a fantasy wasteland.. with most only looking at Zaharakis, Heppell and possibly Watson.

I still reckon Melskham, Coyler and Carslile are sneaky chances for good DT years..but their positions make it tough. Howlett with his tackle count wouldn't go astray also... and we can hope for Lee to come in at some point and rack up the points.

Seems like there are loads of base priced players and mature rookies around the league to choose from for our benches so that will be a little easier than previous years.

I finished just out of the top 1000 last year so am looking to push back into the elite group this year.. hence the early start...

anyone else out there showing any early interest?

Interested players:

Impromptu - ranked 36 last year
Dasiy is a spud - ranked 59 last year
Essington - ranked 735 last year
AS9 - ranked 774 last year
Pocket Pears - ranked 1180 last year
Howard moon - ranked 1596 last year
Un Eggs - ranked 1641 last year
Tassieboy - ranked 1800 last year
Barnjay - ranked 2080 last year
Shane Hird - ranked 2482 last year
Atavistic - ranked 2700 last year
Calyam - ranked 3000 last year
George washington - ranked 4383 last year
Loonerty - ranked 4797
Knight ryders - ranked 6000 last year
Ess Don - ranked 6621 last year
drummer19 - ranked 10 937 last year
xMichaelx - ranked 16626 last year
Stugots - ranked 112 435 last year
Daz77 -
bombermick -
donakebab -
jaymin -
Bombre boy -
the prospector
She fx -
Stay true -
Coopster09 -

Impromptu SCE! jesus monkey balls, to be graced by such Supercoach godlike presence is priceless. please take me under your wing so one day i too can win the 50K! peace and love

I wrote a little Bombers DT preview on Dt talk the other week and the general consensus from the peanut gallery was that we are a fantasy wasteland.. with most only looking at Zaharakis, Heppell and possibly Watson.

Stanton is my first picked in DT every year.
I'll be taking Zaha and Heppell in both DT and SC this year as well. Was going to take Hurley in SC, but his little pre-season set-back has ruined that idea. He might be a potential upgrade though.

Count me in.

Will the leagues be drafted again, or divisions based on last years rankings?

I'm all for having at atleast one super competitive league based on last years rankings/those who take it serious..... but it all depends on what the mods wanna do i guess...

I'm happy to start a league for serious players but i'm going overseas in Feb so i wouldnt be able to be around much to see who wanted in. I could send the league code around to players with high ranks or those who stay serious for the year before i leave i guess....

Count me in:thumbsu::thumbsu:

SC royalty amongst us! well done on last year!!

Stanton is my first picked in DT every year.
I'll be taking Zaha and Heppell in both DT and SC this year as well. Was going to take Hurley in SC, but his little pre-season set-back has ruined that idea. He might be a potential upgrade though.

I'd love to have stants but sharing a bye with coll, geel and freo makes it tough.. if I wanted Swan/Barlow/Selwood the old midfield would be a shambles come round 12 :/

I'd love to have stants but sharing a bye with coll, geel and freo makes it tough.. if I wanted Swan/Barlow/Selwood the old midfield would be a shambles come round 12 :/

My starting midfield at the moment is Ablett (13), Selwood (12), Stanton (12) & Thompson (11).

Thompson seems to be a must to start with, has games against Gold Coast, Bulldogs, Giants, and Port in the first 5 rounds!!

My starting midfield at the moment is Ablett (13), Selwood (12), Stanton (12) & Thompson (11).

Thompson seems to be a must to start with, has games against Gold Coast, Bulldogs, Giants, and Port in the first 5 rounds!!

interesting about thompson..he does look tasty!.. ..

i was trying to figure out a way to get through the bye rounds and my early plan was to have no guns from any rd 11 bye team but loads of rd 11 bye teams on the bench (gws).... i thought that would get me through rd 11 OK, then in rd 12 i could sub all the 11's on from the bench and use my three trades to bring in r11 bye guns as upgrades somewhere....

I guess thats why i overlooked thomo early doors... but who knows, my plan is probably rubbish anyway!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

interesting about thompson..he does look tasty!.. ..

i was trying to figure out a way to get through the bye rounds and my early plan was to have no guns from any rd 11 bye team but loads of rd 11 bye teams on the bench (gws).... i thought that would get me through rd 11 OK, then in rd 12 i could sub all the 11's on from the bench and use my three trades to bring in r11 bye guns as upgrades somewhere....

I guess thats why i overlooked thomo early doors... but who knows, my plan is probably rubbish anyway!

I'm trying to have a even spread of 11/12/13 from the start, so that I'm not restricted in my trading when it comes to doing my upgrades before the bye rounds.

no doubt somebody like m0nty will come up with some plan that works and everybody will jump onto it but for now its kind of cool that there seems to be a point of difference between people about their bye plans.... it might be a year when we have hugely different teams and strategies.. not just cookie cutter teams ....

cant wait!

I wonder whether most people will apply a pure gun/rookie strategy, or whether we will see more mid pricers. I guess it depends on the number of quality rookies.

there seems to be loads of low priced players around this year! like a glut of them. Ive never actually played full guns and rookies, i'm always the idiot who thinks they can nail the midprice breakouts. Every year after all has been said and done its the midpricers that stuff everything up. Last year was Palmer..... NEVER again!...harvey ruined him with vests... i even had the sneaky thought he might score 90+ at gws this year but my better sense has so far prevaled...

guns and rookies for me i reckon.. and you?

there seems to be loads of low priced players around this year! like a glut of them. Ive never actually played full guns and rookies, i'm always the idiot who thinks they can nail the midprice breakouts. Every year after all has been said and done its the midpricers that stuff everything up. Last year was Palmer..... NEVER again!...harvey ruined him with vests... i even had the sneaky thought he might score 90+ at gws this year but my better sense has so far prevaled...

guns and rookies for me i reckon.. and you?

Last year, I tried something different and picked my rookies first and fitted the rest of the team around them. Worked well, as I was top 100 until about 8 weeks to go, but then bad trading dropped me just out of the top 1000.

Using Premium/Near-Premium/MidPricer/Rookie notation, I'm aiming at:

Back: 2/2/1/4 (mid pricer in Lake)
Mid: 4/0/0/4
Ruck: 2/0/0/2
Fwd: 2/3/0/4

However, if there is a glut of decent back/fwd rookies, then I can add an extra rookie on either back or fwd line, and upgrade 2 or 3 near-premiums to premiums.

I think in the backs/fowards you can be a bit speculative, but in the mids its 100% premium from the start.

A lot of people have been talking about Dustin Martin as he is a dual FWD/MID.
Also Jonathon Giles from GWS and Orren Stephenson from Geelong for a rookie ruck.

A real bargain IMO is James McDonald at $98,700. Should be a certain starter.
He didn't play in 2011, but in 2010 he played 16 games with a 94.8 average.
He is 35; but worth the risk with his price.

who do people rate as the big rucks this year?

sandi/cox could be in slight decline

Berger could explode, Mcevoy could crank it another gear, Mummy is a machine.... Goldstien could be anything... Jacobs could break out... Hmac a bargain?... Maric? NicNat to step up again?

so many options...

Ideally i'd be looking at Berger/Mummy but byes might dictate which way to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions AFL Dream Team 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back