AFL LIVE PASS - WHAT A JOKE!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a ******* disgrace that people addicted to gambling can get live streaming of the games for free, when the rest of us paid $100 to Telstra and/or significantly more to our club of choice to get the same service. Sometimes I really, viscerally hate the people who run the AFL.

You know that not everyone who gambles is addicted?

Also, you can set up an account yourself and get it.

It's a ******* disgrace that people addicted to gambling can get live streaming of the games for free, when the rest of us paid $100 to Telstra and/or significantly more to our club of choice to get the same service. Sometimes I really, viscerally hate the people who run the AFL.

I sure hope you don't drink alcohol. By your logic you're an alcoholic.

By the way, it's free for Telstra customers - they do an extraordinarily poor job of promoting this fact though.

Is that so?

In that case I could fly to Japan and catch a replay more quickly than I could sitting around here drawing flies waiting for the upload gods to get around to it when it suits them.

Makes. No. Sense.

At a guess maybe because it's on delay in some markets so they have to keep TV stations happy who in turn have to keep their advertisers happy.

Anyone got a recent update on how well the AFL International watch pass is going? I need it for September when I am in the USA, but don't want to fork out hard earned if it is a dud? Any improvement at all?

Anyone got a recent update on how well the AFL International watch pass is going? I need it for September when I am in the USA, but don't want to fork out hard earned if it is a dud? Any improvement at all?

Using it at the moment...two weeks ago in the USA and last weekend in Singapore.

I had better complimentary wifi in my US hotel room so there was no buffering and the HD quality was good enough to link via HDMI the ipad to the hotel room TV.

Singapore was more patchy which I will put down to the not as good complimentary wifi in the hotel. Nonetheless, managed to watch Crows V GWS and Pies and Bulldogs with only a couple of annoying freezes (at one stage the sound was about 15 seconds behind the video...weird but a refresh corrected this straight away. Another thing that happened a couple of times was the screen freezing and then continuing on at the same point of play seconds later, it did not immediately go to the latest point in the broadcast).

I'll put this down to the free wifi performance in each hotel...this aside, site is easy to use (no dedicated app that I can find for iOS) and probably the easiest way to watch games live when abroad. Replays are also available immediately.

Is it possible to cast AFL live from my phone/tablet to my TV? Help will be appreciated:)

You can buy a lightning-to-HDMI adaptor which plugs from the phone into the tv. They're costly though - the Apple ones are about 70 bucks.

That said, I've seen people post generic ones for about half that if you're happy to go that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can buy a lightning-to-HDMI adaptor which plugs from the phone into the tv. They're costly though - the Apple ones are about 70 bucks.

That said, I've seen people post generic ones for about half that if you're happy to go that way.
What's the video quality like with one of those?

What's the video quality like with one of those?

My brother was using one this year - he reckoned it was on par with a standard definition picture.

I wonder though if it's not worth saving your beans. I'm fairly certain that Foxtel take all the streaming rights next year, which is relevant for 2 reasons:

1. The Foxtel Go app is designed to crash as soon as it's plugged into one of these adaptors, it was only useful this season if you were using the Telstra live pass.
2. Fox Footy will take Telstra's streaming rights next year (I think), so it will have access to all the matches for it's Foxtel Play service (for which they announced last week they'd be dropping the price), and if you're a Foxtel customer you should be able to watch it on your computer if you have a big enough monitor to make it worthwhile.

So all that said, if you were considering getting it only for AFL, I'd hold off and see what the streaming availability looks like next season.

My brother was using one this year - he reckoned it was on par with a standard definition picture.

I wonder though if it's not worth saving your beans. I'm fairly certain that Foxtel take all the streaming rights next year, which is relevant for 2 reasons:

1. The Foxtel Go app is designed to crash as soon as it's plugged into one of these adaptors, it was only useful this season if you were using the Telstra live pass.
2. Fox Footy will take Telstra's streaming rights next year (I think), so it will have access to all the matches for it's Foxtel Play service (for which they announced last week they'd be dropping the price), and if you're a Foxtel customer you should be able to watch it on your computer if you have a big enough monitor to make it worthwhile.

So all that said, if you were considering getting it only for AFL, I'd hold off and see what the streaming availability looks like next season.
Nope, way off the mark.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-18/afl-on-the-verge-of-signing-new-tv-deal
"Telstra will once again hold the rights for hand-held devices, AFL.com.au and the club digital network. Telstra will broadcast every match on mobile devices."

Is it possible to cast AFL live from my phone/tablet to my TV? Help will be appreciated:)
Been watching on the TV through my iPad or iphone via Apple TV for two years now. Never had a problem once, invaluable as can't get fox here.

people are complaining about the service need to realise the consequences of having a better service will be.

forget that it costs $90 now, expect over a couple hundred for a new and improved service, but hey atleast you get to watch games 6 hours earlier.

same thing happened with NBA league pass, just be happy its 90

I've had it the last few years, club membership gave us the option to purchase it through them (Adelaide) for $50 a season. As you can have it on up to 5 devices, i split it with a mate and pay a lazy $25 each. Comes in handy at games to let me know how long is left. Haven't had any issues with it at all

Ive used the lightning adapater for the past 2 seasons worked a treat. If i streamed onto a mid sized tv/screen the quality was great dont think it was so good on a larger tv. Downside is sometimes the cable falls out if its not on a flat surface and u gotta reconnect reload the app and stuff which is a pain when its a tense moment in the game.

Give credit where credits due though it has improved pretty well this year. Didnt suffer any lag with any game only if my own wifi was playing up. Unlike last year where my internet connection was perfect but still couldnt stream a doggies vs port game

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL LIVE PASS - WHAT A JOKE!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back