AFL LIVE PASS - WHAT A JOKE!

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL and Fox Footy is pretty much the sole reason why Foxtel is alive. So, Foxtel really want you to buy their cable service. Not stream it.

Fun fact: Foxtel play, the IPTV streaming service for Foxtel now has all of their channels in HD, except for one channel. Which channel is that? Fox Footy.
I was blown away when I looked into Foxtel a few weeks ago only to find that HD was an optional extra. It's 2017 for **** sakes

I was blown away when I looked into Foxtel a few weeks ago only to find that HD was an optional extra. It's 2017 for **** sakes

Yeah, it's a complete joke.

I was given the standard package for free as part of my Telstra cable bundle, with the 3 months free of sport. Found out it's cost me $35 per month to keep it as is, or $25 to watch it in SD. At that price I'd rather get it through mobile and watch it on the small screen and lose ~20% quality (compared to the SD broadcast) and watch it on my TV

WatchAFL doesn't site doesn't work with the Opera browser that is loaded on most smart TV's. You can get to the site, but video won't steam.

Best solution I came up with - play it though a laptop and plug your laptop into the TV via HDMI. I teamed it up with an air mouse and wireless keyboard, works brilliantly.
This is the airmouse I use: http://amzn.to/2ljnAe8
So HDMI cable from laptop to TV works with the AFL live pass?

Love my FF & it + a couple of other channels were the only reason I got it back on last year after a break for a few years, but yeah I did say something like 'seriously dude?' when they quoted me the extra $10 to get it in HD. Ffs just advertise & quote the prices that everyone who signs up is going to have to pay. Unless of course I am totally in the dark & there are people out there that would actually want all their sport & movies in SD...surely not....

Anyway they make a rod for their own back with that type of bs.

Does anyone know if all games will be broadcasted live on Foxtel Play? I don't want to get Foxtel connected but is it possible to watch live games through a Foxtel Play streaming subscription?

Love my FF & it + a couple of other channels were the only reason I got it back on last year after a break for a few years, but yeah I did say something like 'seriously dude?' when they quoted me the extra $10 to get it in HD. Ffs just advertise & quote the prices that everyone who signs up is going to have to pay. Unless of course I am totally in the dark & there are people out there that would actually want all their sport & movies in SD...surely not....

Anyway they make a rod for their own back with that type of bs.
Yeah it's laughable, try ringing up cancellations department and say you want it cut off at the end of the month or something and you should be able to get a better deal.

I pay $600 a year for Foxtel and the sports package just so I can watch the AFL and fox footy related shows here in Australia. With the news that the International Watch AFL app will include the Fox footy shows all for $189 I'm seriously considering ditching Fotxtel, getting a VPN set up and using the International service. I'm guessing there is a few people here that have done this sort of thing in the past, any advice on VPN providers and what sort of details do they require for Watch AFL? Do you have to give Watch AFL postal addresses to them that are overseas ect?

I pay $600 a year for Foxtel and the sports package just so I can watch the AFL and fox footy related shows here in Australia. With the news that the International Watch AFL app will include the Fox footy shows all for $189 I'm seriously considering ditching Fotxtel, getting a VPN set up and using the International service. I'm guessing there is a few people here that have done this sort of thing in the past, any advice on VPN providers and what sort of details do they require for Watch AFL? Do you have to give Watch AFL postal addresses to them that are overseas ect?
Id love someone to give a step by step process of how to do this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I've explained how to do this in a couple of previous posts, for those wondering how to use WatchAFL in Australia here is a basic guide

1. You'll need a VPN service, Private Internet Access has been tested and works perfectly on their Singapore server. Download the app and login
2. Sign up and to WatchAFL, they don't request a physical address and .au email addresses are fine. There is a free trial for the mens and womens preseason currently

At this point if you are happy to watch on your PC or laptop, start the VPN, select your server, load the site and you're done. For those who want to watch on your TV you have 2 (non-technical) options. You can either:

a. Run a HDMI cable from you PC/Laptop into your TV or;
b. Run a standalone mini x86 (Windows) PC which can be controlled via VNC on your phone or computer or any wireless keyboard/mouse. I am personally using an Intel Compute Stick over 5ghz Wireless N which works without problem

That's it, you need virtually no technically ability to get this running

With respect to costs the WatchAFL is $190AUD for the season and includes fox footy channel + on demand games + on demand panel shows up to 7mpbs quality. The VPN mentioned above is $36USD for 6 months or $7USD a month

My previous posts on this including a sample of the kind of quality you can expect (internet speed depending) are here and here

Update:
GetFlix SmartDNS now also works in place of a VPN and may in some instances perform better than a regular VPN service. They offer a 14 day trial period should you wish to test the service

If you have a network enabled TV with Miracast (most TVs in the last 2 years have this), Windows users can add the TV as an additional monitor and mirror/extend with Firefox running WatchAFL. An additional benefit is Miracast will re-route the audio through your TV. Video guide on how to do this here

Last edited:
So I've explained how to do this in a couple of previous posts, for those wondering how to use WatchAFL in Australia here is a basic guide

1. You'll need a VPN service, Private Internet Access has been tested and works perfectly on their Singapore server. Download the app and login
2. Sign up and to WatchAFL, they don't request a physical address and .au email addresses are fine. There is a free trial for the mens and womens preseason currently

At this point if you are happy to watch on your PC or laptop, start the VPN, select your server, load the site and you're done. For those who want to watch on your TV you have 2 (non-technical) options. You can either:

a. Run a HDMI cable from you PC/Laptop into your TV or;
b. Run a standalone mini x86 (Windows) PC which can be controlled via VNC on your phone or computer or any wireless keyboard/mouse. I am personally using an Intel Compute Stick over 5ghz Wireless N which works without problem

That's it, you need virtually no technically ability to get this running

With respect to costs the WatchAFL is $190AUD for the season and includes fox footy channel + on demand games + on demand panel shows up to 7mpbs quality. The VPN mentioned above is $36USD for 6 months or $7USD a month

My previous posts on this including a sample of the kind of quality you can expect (internet speed depending) are here and here
Thank you so much......you are a champion!

Does anyone know if all games will be broadcasted live on Foxtel Play? I don't want to get Foxtel connected but is it possible to watch live games through a Foxtel Play streaming subscription?

Yep, that's what I do. There are no lock in contracts with Foxtel Play, so I sign up just before the preseason games start (went a little earlier this year to catch the ODIs in New Zealand) each year then cancel it at the start of September - all the finals are free to air so Foxtel isn't needed. So usually 6 or 7 months - this year it's $39 per month ($29 for the sport and $10 for one of the mandatory base packages), which means it will be around $280 all up. I reckon that's great value.

You need to be wary of the data usage though - I am on an unlimited plan so I've never bothered to look into it, but I would imagine it would chew through your data if you have a cap. Also the biggest downside to this is that you have to interact with Foxtel - between their website and their call centre they are ****ing hopeless. But overall I think it's a better option than messing around with vpns, hdmi cords and adapters etc, especially if you're into the other sports they have (can't wait for the Indian tour!).

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL LIVE PASS - WHAT A JOKE!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back