Mega Thread AFL: No Trades (READ OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Reid will play forward more now than ever with Goodes gone.

(Assuming we pick up some help for the backline in trade)
Play fwd more than ever? He was our go to man for a while there I recall & I thought he carried our fwd line fairly well considering his youth & rawness. Now I'd expect him to draw from his experiences & be a leader. He's notgoing to be "the man" while Bud & Tip are there but he certainly can become just as important (ala LRT).

No one suggested it for real. The original point was to get something we have to be willing to give something valuable. Forget Reid and move on yep sorry.

But bird to whoever wont get us stuff all, people go ohh lets get such and such and think bird gets us something good,
The problem is we burnt a lot of players to get Buddy ... got very little return for them and that's showing now.

A reminder at how unfair the last 2 trading periods have been. Now we can all look forward to being a part of Trade Period again.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-from-trading-players-in-20141009-113sba.html

Sydney chief executive Andrew Ireland said the club had hoped to change the league's mind, given COLA was put in place by the AFL and the Swans had never had a choice but to pay it.
"We're not happy about it, we don't understand it and we'll continue to talk to them about it. We think we're being penalised for complying with AFL rules," Ireland said.
"The only way we've been able to recruit players in the past is by losing other players and creating enough salary cap space to bring players in, like every other club.
"We haven't broken any rules, we've complied with the AFL's rules and this is their rule. The only reason players have received COLA is because the AFL has said we have to pay it.
"It wasn't optional. We argued for it and we believed we should have kept it, but in the end they put the rule in place and we had to comply."

Mod edit: Not allowed to reproduce the entire text of news articles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still annoyed the media didn't kick up a stink about this more.

Robbo last week on 360 says to Longmire that the trade ban was wrong and unfair. Didn't hear much two years ago when it was announced!

Still annoyed the media didn't kick up a stink about this more.

Robbo last week on 360 says to Longmire that the trade ban was wrong and unfair. Didn't hear much two years ago when it was announced!
A lot of commentators said it was unfair at the time but the AFL weren't budging. Never back down ftom a bad decision. It looks weak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL will give up f . . king with us eventually because they now know that we have long memories & are the masters at playing with their rules. It helps when gun players want to come to our club.
Rest assured, I strongly believe that after having our hands unfairly tied for 2 years & being sold short on how good we are at managing our list & keeping the players contenet, we will make a statement on the recruiting front this trade period. We will bring someone in. I am very confident that we will cause a stir to prove a point that aggressive list management is why we land these players.

Mummy out for Buddy!
Malceski out for......................no one!
That leaves us with something up our sleeve. Best way to get revenge is to prove a point.

Perhaps Stringer to Swans?

The AFL will give up f . . king with us eventually because they now know that we have long memories & are the masters at playing with their rules. It helps when gun players want to come to our club.
Rest assured, I strongly believe that after having our hands unfairly tied for 2 years & being sold short on how good we are at managing our list & keeping the players contenet, we will make a statement on the recruiting front this trade period. We will bring someone in. I am very confident that we will cause a stir to prove a point that aggressive list management is why we land these players.

Mummy out for Buddy!
That leaves us with something up our sleeve. Best way to get revenge is to prove a point.

Oh please anyone but bloody Stringer! I absolutely detest him.

Oh please anyone but bloody Stringer! I absolutely detest him.

Don't feed the troll, I think Tedeski just threw the name out there to see if anyone would bite. ;)

Mummy out for Buddy!

Geez I hope we do something big, you mention it happening enough :p

Meh..... The AFL are hopeless and it should have never happened because it was complete BS. But, If you look at our list now, what would you change? We have a cap squeeze but being forced to go to the draft and not trade we have unearthed exciting young players and potentially held on to all of our required players (Titch maybe not). We have a young list with a ton of quality and compared to some of the other top 8 sides we are here to stay with our youth.

Really, a professional outfit like ours will ride these bumps and become stronger on the other side.

Who knows, but loving your passion
Lets just win the flag first

I just want to shove it up the AFL who have been infiltrated by Hawthorn people & joined Fatpatdick in wanting retribution against us.
We blindsided the competition with Tippett & then Buddy. What better way to make a protest to the competition then by picking up yet another star.

Amazing that the rumours are rife that Malceski will hang up the boots a season short after two non productive seasons at GC.
Our club wouldn't match their offer & length of contract.
We were right! Dodged a bullet that we knew was coming!

True, though it might not impact us so much this year, as we probably wouldn't have been able to bring in anyone significant given our cap structure anyway.

So this post I made around the time the trade ban was announced turned out to be pretty close to the mark in the end.

Last year I was concerned about how we would replace our aging and retiring players as the cupboard looked a little bare depth wise, but we have found improvement from within this year and in doing so have addressed most of our needs.

We might have even been better off leaving the trade ban in place last year, it would have stopped us from recruiting Sinclair for one, but then miggs would have nothing much to talk about. :p

While the trade ban was still a ridiculous decision, it now looks like a bump in the road. We still have to deal with the COLA removal at the end of the season but it appears we should be able to cope with that too.

AFL bans Sydney for 2 trade periods, Swans win premiership 2 seasons later, hilarity ensues.
AFL bans Carlton for 2 trade periods, almost becomes Fitzroy/University.

Ahh, **** you incompetent pricks running the AFL, especially that yes man moron puppet who looks like he doesn't have a single independent thought of his own.

So this post I made around the time the trade ban was announced turned out to be pretty close to the mark in the end.

Last year I was concerned about how we would replace our aging and retiring players as the cupboard looked a little bare depth wise, but we have found improvement from within this year and in doing so have addressed most of our needs.

We might have even been better off leaving the trade ban in place last year, it would have stopped us from recruiting Sinclair for one, but then miggs would have nothing much to talk about. :p

While the trade ban was still a ridiculous decision, it now looks like a bump in the road. We still have to deal with the COLA removal at the end of the season but it appears we should be able to cope with that too.

We've known about the COLA phase out for a few years now so you'd expect our TPP schedule would already be factoring this in. Unless the Mitchell delay is based around our plan being to cut one player on above average wage in order to slide under the cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back