Review AFL practice match autopsy - Geelong defeats Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

All of a sudden (without having seen on frame of this game) it looks to me like West and Blicavs for round 1.

If reports are correct. etc. etc.

My brain is hurting - this is not the way of the world.
Would like to hear more on Walkers game....if West gets up I would clearly prefer Walker as second ruck based on last weeks performance, but perhaps today's game has somewhat changed the thinking?

Still, Walker for me.

Would like to hear more on Walkers game....if West gets up I would clearly prefer Walker as second ruck based on last weeks performance, but perhaps today's game has somewhat changed the thinking?

Still, Walker for me.

Yeah, very hard with limited or non-existent info, not only on Walker (did he ruck at all?) but on border-liners like Smedts, etc.

sounds promising, although it's hard to gauge at this time of year. i can't imagine collingwood would be caring particularly much about a trip down the highway in a meaningless game.

good to see caddy played well, and good to see jolly wasn't amongst the best for collingwood which bodes well for the blitz

better to win than lose at this time of year

Was a great game to watch from a Geelong point of view.
First half the ball movement and short, quick hands in close was brilliant. The way we moved the ball from back to forward was very exciting.

Caddy - was great at the clearances and on that showing he has to playbround 1 when we are without Kelly and SJ.

Blitz - was very decent around the ground and snapped a great goal during the 2nd quarter. He will only get better and better.
Varcoe - was exciting, hope to God he stays fit.
Motlop - got caught a few times but I think the coaches would be ok with that as he can break things open. Showed improved strength to give "don't argue's" at times..
T.Hunt - started really well. Seems to have added some offence to his strong defensive game.
Pods - looked really good. Looks fit and ready to go.

They are the ones who stood out, apart from the usual suspects like Selwood, jimmy and Taylor.

Really good pre season. Scott looks like he has tinkered with the game plan to get back to quick movement of the ball. Excited to take on the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Varcoe make that look easy?

507472-cats.jpg

Yeah he did ok. Sprayed his shots today - hopefully he is just getting them out of his system!

did you observe Caddy much?
If so, how would you describe his speed and marking ability?

Also, what did you think of Sheringham and Rivers games?

Two things that have stood out to me in this pre-season are
- we seem to have worked out a system for winning more clearances than last season despite a losing ruck, and
- the reinvigorated Bartel is as good as a major new recruit.
Correction! Injury free Bartel is as..........

Is White shorts our new home strip? We may as well its seems we are always in them..

If we can have that many score shots without a recognized ruck , I'm very optimistic we are get a bit of polish back on that aura chalice. The media should start the talk now.Some revision on ladders will have to be done.
We are a nice blend of _
mature (not old) players who know how to do the business , have done the business and are still keen to do the business.
youngish players , players that have been at the club a while but are still trying to find their way into the side as regulars or fresh young players that have played minimal games but are very likely to be our mainstay for the next decade.

And out of the players missing today , how many would we say are best 22?
SJ, Menzel, Vardy , HMac , Kelly , West .........

I'll be back in a minute,just out the back bolting some more seats on the Caddy Bandwagon.

yeh I think the people asking if he's playing because of hype can shut up now.
Was only his 2nd full game playing midfield and showed what he's capable of.

Long ways to go still but Horlin-Smith is still ahead of him imo but we definitely have to play both boys round 1 along with the usuals.

Just got home from the game and have looked through the thread in its entirety. Will try and give a few quick observations:

- Bartel: Back to his best. Even the Pies supporter sitting behind me was in awe of how polished his disposal is.
- Blicavs: Made a believer out of me today. If you didn't know his story, you'd have thought he had a lot more experience playing the game than he actually has. If we could somehow transplant Blake's tapwork and combine it with Blicavs' around the ground work, he'd be a top 5 ruckman.
- Brown: Played both forward and back. Took a couple of good contested marks up forward, and was only really beaten once down back, when giving away about 20kg on Cloke.
- Caddy: Star in the making. Crumbed some good goals up forward and bashed and crashed in the midfield.
- Christensen: Was either pretty quiet, or did most of his work on the other side of the ground. Didn't notice him much at all. Was extremely stiff not to have a one-handed mark against Heath Shaw paid though.
- Duncan: Silk. Is going to take his game to another level this year if his game today is any guide.
- Eardley: His first touch of the game was after he ran full chested into a pack to grab the pill. Did not look out of place at all. Had a steep learning curve too, as I noticed he was on Pendlebury when he was resting forward.
- Enright: At his clinical, professional best.
- Hawkins: Presented well, but kicked poorly. One of his contests, where he got front spot, only to be spoiled but get the crumbs and hand the ball to a runner going past was first class.
- Horlin-Smith: Similar to Caddy.
- T.Hunt: Did his usual job to his usual standard. Very solid.
- Lonergan: Was his usual dire self. Absolute rock down back.
- Mackie: See Enright.
- Motlop: Learnt today he's not a half back flanker. Channelled Billy Slater at times today trying to give don't argues left, right and centre. No harm in backing yourself in to break the lines, but sometimes you have to be smart about it. Did outbody Harry O'Brien to take a nice contested mark though. :D
- Murdoch: This kid is going to be a gun. Kicks it a mile, is a strong mark and has pace to burn. Could be a nightmare match-up for opponents this season.
- Podsiadly: Turned back the clock with his work up forward today. Regularly presented up through the middle of the ground when at centre half forward, and showed why Nick Maxwell isn't a defender's arseh*le in a 10 minute burst in the 2nd term. Was a joy to behold.
- Rivers: Didn't have much to do today, considering the Pies only had two key forwards.
- Schroder: Played his role across the middle. Tough as nails, as is to be expected.
- Selwood: Typical game from the skipper.
- Smedts: Showed his class across half forward.
- Stokes: Was everywhere. Looks cherry ripe for a big season.
- Stringer: See Schroder.
- Taylor: Typical Harry game.
- Varcoe: Going to have a huge year if his pre-season has been any indication. Noticed he started in the middle at a few centre bounces today.
- Walker: Toiled manfully all day. Took a few nice marks around the ground and presented well.

Noticed at one stage in the third term, the three midfielders we had in the middle of the ground were Christensen, Smedts and Varcoe, up against Beams, Swan and Pendlebury. No wonder Collingwood got a little bit of a run-on during the 3rd term as Scott seemed to be experimenting a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL practice match autopsy - Geelong defeats Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back