Preview AFL Rd 17 - Coll vs Carlton - Prematch Discussion, DaVe86's Preview post 138, Teams post 236

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Round 17 - Collingwood vs Carlton - Prematch & Selection Discussion

I'd love to see Collingwood rub salt into Carlton's wounds next week.
As you saw today, we not only love rubbing salt into our opponents' wounds, but we also rub vinegar and a number of other acidic substances in just to make it hurt even worst.

Pies by 50+ next week, lock it in Eddie.:D

OUT: Buckley, Rounds
IN: Johnson, Didak

Harsh on Rounds, stitched up Harvey today. But unfortunately for him, I don't think Didak is the sort of player that comes back through the VFL after only a couple of weeks off. Wouldn't be opposed to giving Didak another week off though, it's not worth risking him if he is less than 100%.

My changes too or Rounds in and Fasolo out.

carlton will come with plenty next week. Facing 3 losses in a row and that top 4 spot is slipping quickly.

We'll still win but I'm not expecting a 50 point drubbing.

OUT: Buckley, Rounds
IN: Johnson, Didak

Yep, certain changes these ones as we start building our best side up for the finals.

Can see Ball, Cloke, and possibly Tarrant getting a rest coming in to the finals.

Would use the interstate trips to rest players on the way through.

Might be worth resting a couple of your players, would make the game more bearable. It's going to be a long two weeks in the predominantly Collingwood household.

I reckon no change.

I want to see more of Fasolo, Keefe and Rounds who were all good. Not a bad player on the ground.

Maybe we could rest players who are sore.

remember we are coached by MM. kids debut or are exposed in big games. never been scared to do so. we have enough firepower all over the ground to keep these 3 kids in and still win sufficiently.

and remember - we are effectively 3 games clear of 3rd spot now.

play the kids, then begin to roll them back to the vfl over the following 5 weeks.

After today's performance will be a tough selection week, anyone dropped would be stiff. I would look at Benny J and Caff as possible inclusions, only because we don't want to have them sitting in the VFL to long.
My changes would be -

Ins: Johnson, McCaffer
Out: Buckley, Rounds ( both unlucky)

Keeffe stays as he is important to the structures with Dawes out. Fasolo stays as he is a ready made AFL footballer who is impressive in the way he plays. Will be a tough decision once Didak, Beams are
fully fit and available, even though both should come back through the VFL.

Absolutely spewing that I have to play footy next Saturday afternoon. This is the match that I have been looking forward to all season, as the clash earlier in the season was too early too determine anything.

Having said that, I was kind of concerned about this match before the weekends matches but now, im convinced we will go onto a massive win. Our blanketing defence will give them absolutely no options going forward and our spread of goalkickers will be too much to handle.

In: Caf, Dids, Johnson (Why he hasn't been named in recent weeks frustrates me. Our most underrated player with Tooves IMO.)

Out: Buckley, Fasolo, Rounds

Rounds stiff but I can't see him being a best 22 player come finals time. We have given him a taste so now he can go back to the VFL to further his case. Fasolo and Buckley will be great depth players for the next few year but they arent best 22 either ATM. Keefe stays in to play the Dawes role.

Pies by 42

It'd suck to be in Buckley's situation at the moment, hasn't done anything wrong while BJ has been out. I know it's horses for courses, but omitting Buckley is a harsh call.

He has been ok mostly, but his disposal of late has been atrocious.

I reckon Carlton will be very hard to beat next week - the loss today coupled with the need to try and hold/regain a spot in the top four.

As for changes I'd love to see the kids have another start, and no changes unless forced by injury.

Yes but we are a better side with strengths where they have weaknesses

Strong tall forward to monster poor tall defenders. Check
Strong ball winning midfielders to hit soft front runners and part timers. Check
Players that have a set. Check
Good tall, medium and small defenders to play on useful tall, medium and dma forwards. Check
Strong defensive half forward that kicks goals for front runner yarran. Check

We have them covered on every line

I wouldn't be bringing Dids back even if he is right, I wouldn't play him in the VFL either just give him an extra rest week and bring him in for a run around in the midfield vs the gold coast. As TD mentioned he has been out of form all year, but as others have mentioned there isn't much to be gained by making him play VFL. So that's a nice middle point I think.

Would be way to harsh to drop Rounds after this performance probably too harsh to drop Krak too.

My call would be

In: Bj, Caff
Out: Bucks, Fozzy (Harsh but he will prob be back in for gc anyway)

I'd like to give Ugle a run too but I think again that is one for the GC. It will be a good chance to give a few people a well needed run and others a well earned rest.

buckley needs to be omitted, not showing enough. Johnson will play the same roll only alot better. mcaffer definately needs to come back, strong body and huge presence. as of late krak hasn't been that impressive, slow and no body presence (the type that might do nothing in the grand final). however let him play this week, he has x factor and might kick a few good goals against carlton. possibly keep rounds in to tag judd or murphy. keep keefe in, show a little against north, will only get better.

out: buckley,fasolo(showed a bit, should get another game)

in: johnson,mcaffer

should let didak back against gold coast so he can play well and get confidence. should not forgot goldsack, he is also handy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Buckley had been showing enough? He is a class player and can only get better. Very harsh to drop him.

Don't bring Dids back till the goldy. Caff and Johnson in for sure. Keefe and Rounds out.

macaffer will definitely come in. only need to hear what malthouse said post match to confirm that. probably fasolo out. johnson is ready to come back but it's matter of who goes out - harsh to drop rounds after yesterday's effort, would like to see him get a crack at one of carl's small forwards this week to test himself further. buckley could be in trouble, unluckily so

didak should be made to work his way back through the vfl. i know some of you may consider that heresy, but he was in ordinary form before being injured and has now missed a couple of weeks. if he's fit he should play in the midfield in the 2's and just be allowed to roam free and rack them up to get some touch back

there is also a chance that thomas won't come up for this week which might solve the dilemma of who to leave out for johnson

didak should be made to work his way back through the vfl. i know some of you may consider that heresy, but he was in ordinary form before being injured and has now missed a couple of weeks. if he's fit he should play in the midfield in the 2's and just be allowed to roam free and rack them up to get some touch back

While good in theory, if Dids played VFL he would have some hack plodder follow his ass all day with no intent on getting the footy. Dids would gain little from this.

Dids should come straight back in once he's ready. If it means giving him an extra week, so be it but no VFL play.

While good in theory, if Dids played VFL he would have some hack plodder follow his ass all day with no intent on getting the footy. Dids would gain little from this.

He'd gain nothing from having to work hard and trying to break a tag? Sounds like precisely like the sort of thing he might benefit from.

INS: Johnson, Macaffer, Didak
OUTS: Buckley, Keeffe, Rounds (all stiff but horses for courses)

B - Toovey Tarrant Maxwell
HB - Davis Reid O'Brien
C - Thomas Swan Shaw
HF - Didak Cloke Wellingham
F - Macaffer L.Brown Krakouer
R - Jolly Pendlebury Ball
INT - Blair Sidebottom Fasolo
SUB - Johnson

IN - Johnson, Macaffer
OUT - Buckley, Fasolo

Buckley was ordinary, one particularly poor effort where he didn't want to put his head down to collect a ground ball and we lost posession as a result. Needs to go back to the Magoos. Hans Solo did nothing wrong but I think Macaffer would be a good inclusion against Carlton to add another hard body and strong marking target to test out their defense. If Thomas in injured Macaffer in for him instead. Didaks form doesn't deserve a recall. If he is injured he can be nursed through the VFL and allowed to regain form.

lets destroy these guys

I''ll be getting feral and smashed alright.

Didak and johnno in

rounds and buckley out

Does Shaw have an issue with MRP? Contact made with North players head whilst attempting to spoil. It was accidental & or negligent, but quite forceful (although the North player was ok). I am just worried as any head contact draws MRP attention these days.

How Far Is Ben Johnson Away From Senior Selection?

His played in the VFL lately, from what ive heard his done pretty well..

Re: How far is Ben Johnson

You'd think he'd be fairly close, from all reports his VFL form has been very good as you'd expect from such a good player. I thought he played well this year before he was injured so it's certainly not form keeping him out of the team.

Just a matter of fitness you'd expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back