Preview AFL Rd 17 - Coll vs Carlton - Prematch Discussion, DaVe86's Preview post 138, Teams post 236

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Round 17 - Collingwood vs Carlton - Prematch & Selection Discussion

It will be interesting.

I think playing with a small forward line is more often going to get exposed long term. You certainly don't want to be going into finals without a proper KPF set up (just ask the dogs 2007-2010) but in small doses it can work.

Last year Carlton played a game plan and style that was never going to win a flag but was high risk, high reward. Huge numbers at the stoppages all running forward of the ball. If Judd (and well Judd) managed to get the ball rolling their way they would almost always have players free in the forward half.

If they set up this way, I still expect to win, but there is a chance that the combination of the change of game plan and the simple nature of the risk / reward of it that they could pull off an upset.

It depends on whether they want to stick to their structures, try to use the game as a learning curb or if they want to try and pinch an upset. If they roll the dice Jolly and Ball will be our two most important players (with Pendles third)

Hey everyone,

I'm now back from Europe and my usual previews will return this week. I'm sure you will all agree lozza did an awesome job and i hope he continues to write them.

My preview will be up either wednesday or thursday on the collingwood site and here on BF.

From what I could make out from Ratten on the couch tonight they will tag every player that can run. Given that they lack quality talls that they could bring in they will try to use their running game.
The tactics will be simple just like the round 3 game, chip the ball around in the backline and hope that they can find a runner to break the lines and try and get their players out in the open. Apart from this there is no plan B or plan C so if we are able to expose their game plan they will go to water.

I would tag Murphy and not worry about anyone else.

In: McCaffer, Johnson and possibly McCarthy
Out: Rounds, Fesollo, and either Buckley or Keeffe.

We have experimented enough over the past couple of weeks and it's time to drop a bomb on them. Given we have our fair number of outs as well; we should disregard Carlton's performance over the weekend and take the game as serious as possible.

Additional motivation is that it's their home game so they will be out in numbers. It would give me no greater pleasure them to show them all how far off it they really are.

..didn't think Ratts was saying that at all, if anything it was close to the opposite.. ..and wehn asked if he wouldn't mind any players and go all out head to head he said you have to mind one or two players.. ..with weak fwd/back lines you're best way to win is to be very attacking in the middle of the ground, since getting out into space quickly is our best chance of hitting up our quick smalls on a lead.. ..blocking, tagging, heavy negating tactics will only slow down play which will play right into your hands..

Don't need to pray for what's already a given.

Inj - Jamo, Waite. You guys would be praying we don't get within 4 goals.

Why would we be saying prayers based on that? We're only concerned with what happens to the Collingwood football club, injuries to other teams players have zero bearing on us!

And in more bad news for the Scum, Thomas is right to go.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/118328/default.aspx

Dale Thomas is in line to play this weekend against Carlton with the premiership player declaring himself available for the blockbuster.

The 24-year-old was subbed off in a precautionary move on Sunday against North Melbourne after receiving a knock to his knee in the first half.

“I am feeling fine,” Thomas told collingwoodfc.com.au.

“I sustained a knock to my knee in the first half and during the third quarter the coaches decided it was time for me to have a breather, even though I was keen to play on.”

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/118328/default.aspx

And also in that article, Didak is a chance to return.

In another positive on the injury front, Alan Didak is listed as a test with a calf injury he sustained in the interstate win against the Swans in round 14.

Collingwood director of football Geoff Walsh believes Didak is in contention for a return to the senior side this weekend.

“We will monitor how Alan trains over the week and provided he trains strongly on Wednesday, he will be in contention for Saturday's game.”

As well as we are going, does Didak need a game in the VFL to get some form and fitness?, it's not like we absolutely need him this week.

How much longer do we need to keep hearing about teams' injury excuses when they play us?

Sweetheart, let me paint the picture for you. You named Jamison and Waite. I'll name Nathan Brown and Chris Dawes. I'll also name Dayne Beams, Ben Johnson, Alan Didak and Brent Macaffer.

Your post is cute though.

I'll still say a little prayer for you.

For mine, I would be extremely shocked if Rounds doesnt play. Surely he will play a role on one of Betts or Garlett.
I mean if he can shut Boomer down, one or both of these "excitement machines" should be significantly an easier task.

For mine, I would be extremely shocked if Rounds doesnt play. Surely he will play a role on one of Betts or Garlett.
I mean if he can shut Boomer down, one or both of these "excitement machines" should be significantly an easier task.

The quality of the delivery will be more than significantly upgraded this week! Betts and Garlett have poor records against us, so whatever it is we've been doing to stop them previously would be my preference over assigning Rounds the job. My changes.

In: Johnson and Macaffer
Out: Rounds and Fasolo

It might seem really really harsh considering neither were poor against North. However it was between Buckley and Rounds and I just think Buckley at this stage offers us more than Rounds. I also wouldn't mind Macaffer getting a game into him against quality opposition, as our draw over the next 5 weeks is relatively soft. Buckley, Macaffer or Krackouer to start as the sub.

Rounds and Fasolo will no doubt be back in against GC next week because we will look to rest players (Ball, Pendles, Reid and Tarrant the most likely candidates).

Edit: I hope I didn't come across as knocking Rounds because I was genuinely rapt with his game last week. What I said was based on my preference for how we attack this week and if we decide to go with Rounds on one of them two I'd still have faith in him and the structure supporting him getting the job done!

I will agree with you entirely on that one. Based on last weeks evidence Luke has been identified as the midget defensive shutdown player a role which he performed extremely well. Given that the Blues have both Eddie & Jeffy and to a lesser extent Mark Murphy, I'd imagine he would hold his spot where there is a direct match up for him.

If not then he will probably make way for someone else who would play a different role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please spare up the excusses. We also have book ends out of our team and both of the are premiership players. Dawes and Brown are just as big a loss as the 2 you have mentioned.

I would be more than happy if Waite was available as we can more than handle him. On the other hand Dawes is a greater loss to us because your achilies hill is your key position defence.

If we get Johnson and McCaffer back this week as is expected we will still be down 4 premiership players from the team that lines up against Carlton.

Didak, Brown, Beams and Dawes are all quality players that will not be available for the weekends game.

..clog our hff's, block the leading space for the smalls and we'll have to bomb it deep into the fwdline where a lack of KPF marking power will see us come undone.. ..double-team Judd, who-ever plays on Murphy stays goalside of him no matter where on the field.. ..play Davis fwd as a def tag on Yarran.. ..blues are in their most vulnerable position as we've been this season over last couple of weeks and weeks going fwd.. ..could get stuck in a rut..

Sweetheart, let me paint the picture for you.

Your post is cute though.

I'll still say a little prayer for you.

you do know this is CAKE of bay13 fame ? nobodys sweetheart :p

Please spare up the excuses. We also have book ends out of our team and both of the are premiership players. Dawes and Brown are just as big a loss as the 2 you have mentioned.

i have the feeling these days people dont see the individuals within collingwood - all they see is the TEAM.
hence they are eager to highlight their injury excuses when we appear to have none. they are up against TEAM COLLINGWOOD.

GOOD TIMES.

Just watching On The Couch at the moment and all Ratten's talked about is Coaches Votes and that Marc Murphy was BOG.

Thought AFL was a team sport not individual sport:eek::eek:

Let's mentally destroy them this week. I want them buried by half time. If we can knock them out of the 4 this week and are stagnant around 5th position for the rest of the season, the finals will be very interesting. Would love to see them knocked out in the eliminations again, preferably to Freo in Melbourne. :thumbsu:

We come into this game with totally opposite formlines from the week before.

We come in after a 117 pt drubbing.

They come in after a slightly unexpected loss.

Coming off an unexpected loss is usually the perfect entree into next week's game, whereby you'd expect every player to be at their most switched on and 'come to play' mode.

Conversely, after a stroll in the park win ( which our's was on paper, but I didn't think was so much so on field??) players may be forgiven for entering the arena with a slight swagger in their step, a trifle overconfident perhaps..

Anyone see a possible concern there?

I'm trying to, but overall I think they are such a professional outfit now, there's continual pressure on nearly all for a spot in the team, that we should be OK. And I'm sure they'll lift anyhow for Carlton.

Also, a question from someone who hasn't lived in Melbourne for long...is there any difference between Carl v Coll at MCG, where one or the other is the home team, in terms of crowd support numbers etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back