VFL VFL Round 17 v Carlton - Sunday July 21st. 11:05am @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? It is obviously a club decision to treat the VFL side like a development squad. You are not going to win too many games when 1. AFL listed VFL players have to step up into the AFL side to cover injury despite not being in the best form themselves; 2. AFL listed players returning from prolong injury (are always going to struggle) 3. Players from supplementary teams are going to struggle coming into the VFL teams
Not to mention they don't even train together. Never understand how that works.

The carry on about Schultz (one example) is all classic hindsight from most naysayers. Few could have predicted our injuries and fall from grace nor could we have foreseen the mediocre form of a top-class player in Shooter or the fantastic improvement in Ginnivan, who a was sub or emergency for much of his final year with us and for good reason.
List Management is about predicting the future. You hope for the best. We make top 4 again and Schulz likely improves us.

But you need to prepare for the worst.

The issue is the reality is this recruitment is going to cost us big time with an ageing list with arguably the worst under 22 list of players in the comp. (And that includes the best one).

We are likely to have a worse 2nd rounder and no first round to replace a marginally better player. It is not a deal I would have done.

It is not like we have not seen this play before although last time we were saved by the Daicos recruitment.

None of this is a knock on Schulz. Who knows I think we have a small window in 2025 and he might be the player that gets us over the line.

The positives I think we have improved our mid 20's depth so that improves our competitiveness for 3-4 years and had won us a flag.

The focus really needs to be getting quality youth in.

Think their mids had almost three times the possession ours did!!!!!

Of the ressie regulars, Jaith, Parker and Smit about the only ones I have some hope for at the moment

Care to elaborate.
Look I’m not saying it’s gospel and I generally don’t post things I’ve heard as people find it hard to have a decent conversation about it, it’s usually just attacks.

What I did hear is that a lot of players were filthy with Nobel missing out, like really upset with the coaches.
I am also hearing there was an incident and disagreement about Jack being traded, two players nearly came to blows over it and some factions were created.
Throw in any possible unrest over Adams leaving as well and you can see a problem.
I am in no way saying any of this is true but I’ve heard it from a few people, the last of which I really trust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rotting since last year? Including winning the premiership?
The only thing the club could have done with Henry is not recruit him in the first place. There was nothing the club could do about that… he missed out on a premiership doing so.

Agree on Ginni though. I think the club got a bit precious about his childhood antics. The tougher decision would have been to keep him. But having said that, the small forward deorrtment is not our issue.
They could have played him in the prelim which we would have won 100% had he played over Johnson who produced the most pea hearted performance in a final you would see.

In fact four GFs (five if you include the 2010 replay) in the last 15 years. Numerous finals and as you note - a lot of PFs.

You probably meant two flags?

On that basis you'd have to say that Hine has built several successful lists. Just not as successful as many think we should have been...and some very big howlers or misses.
Of course! Thanks. It's a ruthless business. I understand the anger when we lose. It hurts and you'd much prefer passionate fans than ones who shrug off a loss as no big deal. It's the nature of the beast. Watching Ginnivan taunt us was the ultimate nightmare. It could only have been worse had Schultz been up the other end kickless and goalless.

Bytel - 31 disposals (41% EF), 9 clearances, 4 tackles, 5 marks, 4 inside 50's, 8 Score involvements
Macrae - 21 disposals (71% EF), 1 goal, 6 tackles, 3 clearances, 5 inside 50's, 5 score involvements
Parker - 18 disposals, 4 marks, 7 intercepts
TJ - 18 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 7 intercepts
Smit - 12 disposals, 2 goals, 11 hitouts, 3 clearances,
Demattia - 12 disposals, 2 tackles, 3 clearances
Cox - 11 disposals, 23 hitouts, 4 marks, 5 score involvements
Eyre - 8 disposals, 3 marks, 5 intercepts
Frampton - 7 disposals, 3 intercepts, 3 tackles
Does Eyre look likely to get a game before the season is out, Jen?

I think his biggest weakness is he doesn’t position himself well when receive the ball. It’s leads him then awkward wheel around in his left foot and get a rushed kick off. The second weakness is he doesn’t have Daicos like agility to get out of trouble in those situations to get a good kick off.

Atm I think he’s shown he’s more likely a defender, he has decent spiking and marking ability but he’s mostly played on the wing.
I had high hopes, yet he seems to be struggling to get a kick in the VFL.

Does Eyre look likely to get a game before the season is out, Jen?
Hope so. Just building consistency. He's now back in defence, where he looks more comfortable. More games he can play the better it'll be for his confidence.

Of course! Thanks. It's a ruthless business. I understand the anger when we lose. It hurts and you'd much prefer passionate fans than ones who shrug off a loss as no big deal. It's the nature of the beast. Watching Ginnivan taunt us was the ultimate nightmare. It could only have been worse had Schultz been up the other end kickless and goalless.
I saw Ginni taunting us. Very poor form. If I was his mum, I’d tell him to pull his head in and behave properly. But that’s just me ha ha.

I was a Ginni fan and despite all the well documented reasons why not, I’d prefer we retained him purely on football grounds.

But he’s gone and we move on.

I missed yesterday and sounds like that was a good call.

Can anyone elaborate for me on how Smit got his two goals and if he showed anything down forward?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I saw Ginni taunting us. Very poor form. If I was his mum, I’d tell him to pull his head in and behave properly. But that’s just me ha ha.

I was a Ginni fan and despite all the well documented reasons why not, I’d prefer we retained him purely on football grounds.

But he’s gone and we move on.
I'm with you, but at the same time, he's a great villain and will be fun to hate.

I had high hopes, yet he seems to be struggling to get a kick in the VFL.

Looked good when we were competitive early on Sunday. Took some nice intercept marks, competed well in 1v1 contests, showed some good rebound. Something to continue to build on.

I missed yesterday and sounds like that was a good call.

Can anyone elaborate for me on how Smit got his two goals and if he showed anything down forward?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From memory, first from a loose ground ball get, second from a free in a marking contest. Hard to judge his forward impact, our F50 entry was deplorable, but he knows where the goals are, can clunk a mark, and seems an accurate and powerful kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL Round 17 v Carlton - Sunday July 21st. 11:05am @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back